major GPU driver update "Catalyst Omega"

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by deathfrag, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    that review has been taken down for very good reason. while their text mentions improvement over CAT14.11.2b, slides compare it to CAT13.12.
    It does not necessarily mean there is no improvement over CAT14.11.2b, but I would not expect much.

And I believe boost will be mainly for r9-290(x) r9-285 as comparison is for r9-290x and its launch driver + APUs with same updated architecture.

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    VSR sounds great BUT its 290x/285 and newer only! That means 7xxx series and older are out of luck.

At least with NV, their DSR supposedly works from the current gen back down to Fermi!

I hope the 39x series can handle 4K when it comes out, otherwise I would go 970 SLI along with that 4K monitor next year.

3. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    nVidia added DSR for elder gpus in next driver, it wasn't from start available on all gpus, also there were rumors it would be not available on older cards at all.

To be honest knowing nvidia and their attitude i'm shocked that they enabled DSR on non-9xx series gpus.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Alright then. I suppose you have a good reason to do so in your experience, but it just annoys me that people keep downing on products regardless if it's even warranted.

There's some pretty nice features being addressed in this thread, and some people just want to point out all of AMD's flaws. I can't stand Intel or NVIDIA, and yet you don't see me going to their respected driver threads and general sections downing their products at every turn and pointing out various flaws, derailing threads, and generally fanboying it up... I just simply choose not to use the hardware and get on with my day :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Strange performance comparison using a driver from a year ago, though obviously it's to show a much higher performance gain compared to using the newest drivers like 14.11.2

EDIT: Of course the other features are going to be interesting but as far as performance is concerned I'm not expecting more than a a few percentages faster at best compared to current drivers.
    (That chart has one game - that whole thing about "up to" - show a 19% boost whereas the others are around 8 - 10% and two are 10% to 11%)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Can we expect this driver anytime soon?

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    On the frontpage thread Hilbert said they would release their article on Monday (Since it's supposed to be under NDA but it got leaked.) so I guess unless the drivers themselves also leak early we'll see them released Monday or Tuesday. :)

Wonder if they'll be in beta or WHQL form?
    (I'd guess on beta.)

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Beta :p

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    13.12 vs Catalyst Omega? Go home, you are drunk!

10. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    Glad to see AMD have decided to add official downsampling support maybe support for 79XX/28XX cards will come soon (if that's AMD soon it will be about 6 months i guess)

Seeing these features/fixes getting add is great but it comes A bit to late for me,ive just this min installed an MSI 970GTX so my 7970 will be put out to pasture in my sisters PC where it will have a more laid back time running Sim 3&4 and various 2d point and click adventure games....

I'll be interested in seeing the list of the Top TEN reported errors they claim to have bug fixed to see just how many of them are really Driver Errors and if they tally up with the reports from users here & else where that typically get shot down by other users with "i don't have that problem its just a user/your hardware error"

Also LOL @ AMD's marketing dept Logic.....i can just see them around the water cooler now...

Janitor......."Hey guys it BF/CM soon & ppl like to by new kit/upgrade shouldn't you let every PC gamer out there (some who are thinking of buying Nv cards this week) know you have some new features coming to your cards in a week or so,might net you some sales???"

AMD marketing......"WUT why would we do that???? :stewpid: "

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    This better be good because as much as I have been saying I won't touch Nvidia at the moment due to their business practices of being a closed company when it comes to software.

I have been offered 2x MSI GTX970's Twin Frozer cards for Christmas by a close family member.....

That much horsepower for FREE!! Is pretty hard to turn down!

12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Whatever driver will come out for AMD that is the best offer right now.

Or maybe thats just my jealousy speaking.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Don't be so hasty up there. Both nV and AMD create fixes for broken games. And in most of cases they fix on driver level what game developers broke in their code.

14. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    Im mostly referring to common desktop errors such as

Flash H/W accel BSOD
    2d flickering
    Random Black screening
    Black screen on Wake/Cold boot

Not everyone gets these problems and a lot of users who don't see such issues are quick to blame the config/setup of other users system for the problems,im keen to see if AMD can fix all or any of the above via just a driver update.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Are you serious?

16. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Personally i've never had any of these. I keep an eye on few configs of my friends who have mobile and desktop radeons, nobody never reported to me any problem like this. I really believe this is something wrong with software configuration of users who are experiencing problems like this.

I'm always installing beta version of flash, latest amd drivers beta and whql, everything always works fine.

17. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Well you'd be wrong. Some of the Black screens are a hardware issue they have attempted to mask with drivers. I had to RMA two 290x's for the issue, finally got two more that worked. No other changes to the system, just getting two different stock 290x's fixed the issue. Same thing with many others over at R3d and overclock.net In addition, the Flash H/W acceleration errors are very common and happen over a wide range of systems. While I understand that is not a huge sampling of PC's like you did with yourself and 4 friends (that is sarcasm, I apologize), I still think it is enough to say it is not just software configurations of users.

18. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    According to your system specs, You have a 260X, on par with a 5870 or a Nvidia 470, you do realize some of those features are disabled for your card?

Also replace that PSU if you get a new graphics card, that could be the cause of some of your issues. The rest of your rig will run much smoother if you get rid of those bottlenecks.

19. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    I'd take any FREE hardware especially if its top of the line.

I hate you right now! :p

20. BoMbY

BoMbY Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury X
    December 9th, apparently: http:// videocardz . com/54128/amd-announces-catalyst-omega-drivers-with-virtual-super-resolution (I really hate these moronic link manipulating scripts)