Mainstream GeForce RTX 4050 Graphics Card Launching in June 2023

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969, Embra and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Contrary to the majority, I'm far from panicking about vram,12g will be plenty for 4070. But taking 2g away gen to gen is just sad. Thing is, if 6500xt's successor doesn't double the 4GB they put on it, low-specs gamers are f***ed either way, might as well buy the arc750 for cheap, they ain't that bad and at least drivers you can improve, can't do that to technical specs.
    Even worse, both 4060 and 4060ti are supposed to have 8G, while at least the ti should have 10G. No actual progress made if 4060Ti beats 3070 but vram has you limited to 2560x1440. Not asking a 4060ti to be 4K ready under 500usd, but 10GB would be at least fine for 3440x1440. 3060Ti was perfect for 2560x1440, make some effort nvidia. The progress they're making they're using mainly to make profit, not advance the industry. High end gets better and better while entry level is just getting more and more pointless. They really do wanna make gpus a luxury item. Screw them both, I will be buying used from now on.

3. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Let's see what the price is. Probably will be laughable but remains a huge factor.

Perhaps, but in this gen 3050 competes with 6600, not 6500 which is about half the price. a770 recently has been quite cheap too at similar price point to both 3050 and 6600 series.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's 100% clear now that the VRAM decisions are today made solely based on the principle of minimising the number of memory chips and thus narrowing the memory bus width. Even reducing the memory capacity seems to be okay if it's needed to reach the goal of a tiny bus and a few lonely memory chips. The huge cache technique is a real golden egg for the manufacturers.

TSMC has raised its prices somewhat during the last couple of years, but I reckon Nvidia, and probably AMD as well, raised their own far more, also by valuing their GPUs internally higher as well (if you want to artificially create some kind of price structure for the cards sold directly by Nvidia and AMD in select countries), so the AIB partners must be paying a huge amount of money for the GPU chip itself, leaving a minuscule budget for everything else. So, despite memory being cheaper than ever, for the time being, it doesn't help them. In EVGA's statements regarding their withdrawal from the graphics card market, they suggested as much, though naturally EVGA would have tried to make itself look as good and innocent as possible.

5. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yup, tsmc has been the biggest beneficiary of the "shortage" of them all.

Eno9 likes this.
  6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    True, 6600 is probably the best entry level card amd/nvidia released last gen. 6600xt and 3060 are 320eur and 300eur respectively, while 6600 is more like 260e.
    Though arc750 is a true 8G 256-bit with 16X pcie in the same price range as 6600 and beats both 6600 and 3060.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Graf...s/Rangliste-GPU-Grafikchip-Benchmark-1174201/

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    "You say not enough VRam and narrow bus widths, we say software jiggery pokery and fake frames" - NVidia

Aniboom, Greggy_D, Kaarme and 6 others like this.
  8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    entry level pc gaming is just dead. and worse, it ain't coming back. nvidia has dlss3 working so they're launching useless cards already, amd either left with rx6000 stock or waiting for fsr3.
    remember my gigabyte 7870xt ghz edition was the same price as 6500xt is now, maybe even cheaper, and it beat 6970 convincingly.
    Now for entry level all you have is used pascal, turing, polaris and vega.

9. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    If it works, It works.

What's gonna be the better low end experience? 16Gb of VRam or AI frames?

Things might not appeal to the crowd here but will Steve Steamforum or Randy Reddit care?

Airbud and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hahaha hilarious, love it :D

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Didnt they look at the currect pc games market? What kinda dumbass thought 6gb on a 96bit bus is fine lol

PinguX and Greggy_D like this.
  12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I can already imagine NVidia charging 400$ for this turd.
    These companies are trying really hard to kill PC gaming, just for the sake of greed.

PinguX likes this.
  13. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    What are the 10 most played PC games right now?

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes but knowing nvidia it will cost 400$. You surely expect to play more than a esports games at that price?

Greggy_D likes this.
  15. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    It's not about me tho.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Well i spose it depends on your gaming preferences, for Steve and Randy probably the mainstream games that will support the tech but not all games do. This was maybe the argument with the last gen going for AMD or NV, whether Raster or RT was your focus.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Modern iGPUs are plenty good enough for entry level PC gaming these days, and low-end used dGPUs are affordable for someone who wants something better than Intel Xe. Meanwhile, hardcore enthusiasts don't care (or sometimes even justify) rising prices. What this means is it's PC enthusiasts on a budget, or, non-casual gamers who don't want to play on a console who is the rapidly dying market. They are the backbone of the PC gaming industry.

Some may argue that the market is bound to come back because this wouldn't have been the first time there was a crisis in the gaming industry or PC industry. However, the difference here is GPUs are getting a little too popular in the server market. If Nvidia won't get their ridiculous profits from gamers, they'll just divert their sales to servers instead - it's far more profitable for them, especially since most of the hardest work they've done with CUDA has been completed years ago. I'm sure if people keep whining about Intel's GPU performance in gaming, they're going to abandon the market too. That just leaves AMD, who doesn't keep up with the latest technologies and still sells products for an unpalatable price.

I don't think the gaming industry as a whole will die, but I do feel it will permanently suffer if there isn't a radical change. So long as server demand for GPUs remains high, I don't think we can expect affordable GPUs.

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Affordable is a contentious word, and it needs context in relation to the manufactures along with 'profitable'. As long as something is profitable then it must be selling in enough quantities to outway the costs, if its selling then its affordable to somebody.
    Maybe the shift in PC gaming will be to a different demographic but i doubt it, if people can no longer afford a thing, they dont buy it. Plenty of people give things up when they get a mortgage or start a family, then later on in life if disposable income allows they might go back to it, that was certainly the case for me and console/PC gaming.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Affordable in this context is rather obvious, when the price of the product rapidly outpaces demand and/or capabilities. The purpose of affordability matters tremendously when we're talking about a product you don't need. People don't need a gaming GPU, and if the cost of a gaming GPU by itself is more than a whole gaming console while offering a worse overall experience, the market is going to suffer dramatically.

Compare this to the automotive industry for example: some may argue cars are outrageously expensive today, but when you account for inflation, regulations, and added features, cars haven't really got that much more expensive over the past century. Yes, prices have gone up, but even a modern economy car has better performance compared to a sportscar from 50 years ago, and has the technology of a luxury car from 20 years ago. So, there's an actual evolution happening. Demand hasn't subsided, there's a large variety of markets for automobiles, and there's a compelling need for people to have a vehicle.
    When it comes to GPUs though, we're seeing prices shoot up substantially for a product that is lowering in demand, is primarily used for leisure, and is expected to be better than the last generation (otherwise, might as well just buy the last generation).

20. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    This future GPU with this specs is what I call Crapware.