Mafia Trilogy (New Release)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jwb1, May 13, 2020.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    The Mafia theme at the end!!!!

Solfaur likes this.
  2. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Not liking Tommy's new voice. Sounds too growly, too different. :(

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Confused, which is often these days, but when they say not actual gameplay do they mean everything in the trailer is from in-game cutscenes or that it's a pre-rendered trailer?

I'm thinking it's the former, but not sure.

cerebus23 likes this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    If it actually looks like that and doesn't run like a turd then wow, hats down and low bows to them, since it does look amazing...

It's clear to me now that this game will be a true remake. I wouldn't be surprised if they change a lot from the story too. As for the voices, with all the changes, I think it would have been awkward to have the old voices and it probably would have been a technical nightmare too. I can't say I dislike the new actors from the little I've seen, but one thing is sure they amped the "mobsterness" by a LOT, especially on Tommy, but likely other characters as well. :D

Redemption80 likes this.

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    Every rumor I've seen indicates this is a "new" game, not just a refreshed experience. (same story with some new missions) Those pics are supposedly what the new game looks like. All Mafia games just use the game engine, maxed out, for cut-scenes, IIRC, don't they? It's not playing pre-rendered CG files. At least I don't think it is.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I think so, the cut-scenes are the best part of Mafia 3. And they will likely use some advanced face motion cap in this one too, hence why the new voices with new actors etc.

7. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Hmm, still not sure about this one. The visuals are very pretty, sure, but I don't know about the "extended" story. I love the original game, it's one of my all time favourite early-teenhood games (I was twelve when it came out), and I don't want them to mess up the story an characters. As for Tommy's voice, the game is getting new Czech dubbing, so I will wait for comparisons there.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    I'm guardedly optimistic as well.

Lots of games get remade and I'm not terribly invested in caring. Many just get graphics bumps and minor enhancements that are nice, but if I already played it, I'm not compelled to play again, simply for that. (mafia 2, etc) Some get really great remakes like the Command & Conquer one. Love that. "Faithful" yet massively improved. It was something I was hoping might happen and great to see that it did.

But this game. Mafia. This is literally one of a mere handful of games I've really wanted to see remade, for probably 12+ years now. But not just what they did with Mafia 2's re-release, I wouldn't much care if that's what this was. I've always wanted Mafia completely rebuilt from the ground up using current, next-gen, advanced graphics and game physics. But the same basic story. Maybe add some additional content on the side.

They seem to be doing what I've always wanted. I honestly can't believe it. It will be the biggest letdown for me in a long time if they manage to screw this up.

Redemption80 and Solfaur like this.
  9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea mafia 2 still looked and played fine.

but mafia 1? the new looks worth the price if its not all cgi.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Noticed there has been an patch for both games.

I only have Mafia 2 and the notes don't mention much at all for the PC and the only difference i can see is a PhysX option that i'm sure wasn't there before.
    Don't think it's using GPU PhysX in the traditional sense though as the indicator doesn't kick in.

Off and Medium is pretty much identical on the benchmarks (82.1 v 82.9fps average) but going to high drops this away doing with 38fps. I don't know if the performance hit will be better for those with a decent GPU.

Not got any further than the benchmark so don't know if any of the little bugs have been fixed.

11. JAMVA

JAMVA Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080
    Mafia Definitive Edition delayed :(

Pushed back a month from August 28 to September 25

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm okay with it being delayed.
    One, if they need to the extra time, I'd rather they take it instead of rushing out the game before it's ready.
    And two, Serious Sam 4 comes out in August... this will give me time to play it. :D

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Finally a gameplay trailer! :D Game looks amazing!

Looking at the gameplay footage, it looks like cloth physics is in. I don't know if it's using PhysX though.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Game looks amazing indeed

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Yep, looks very, very good. I just hope it runs as good as it looks and is not bug ridden. I'm still on the verge on deciding to pre-order or not, but given Hangar13's reputation, it would be much, much wiser not to. I just hope I can resist... :rolleyes:

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP