Mafia Trilogy (New Release)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jwb1, May 13, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Visually it looks like a update to the engine powering Mafia 3 especially the early images though the final game while a bit visually inconsistent still looks really good although tech issues and performance problems drags it down and some of it could have been avoided.
    Errors with the occlusion culling sees the CPU having to work a lot harder, bit like Watch_Dogs 2 when pushing the extra streaming distance up or the newer Assassin's Creed games but they just have a lot of geometry shown whereas here it should have been culled.
    (And the wonky idea to have a delay for screen space reflection updates leading to some of the most odd looking mirrors in modern games.)

If so the shooting mechanics should be solid but the AI in Mafia 3 was terrible and you could clear entire areas just by corner hugging and whistling and doing instant takedowns and it's based around this cover shooter formula like many other games.
    Could really have done without the pre-order incentives too and reminders for bonuses for owning the entire trilogy and all that but it's a thing with most modern games now.

[​IMG]

(Someone's doing really well for starting out as a cab driver...)

Subtle details like vehicle control, cop AI and mechanics like the weapon system, vehicle deformation and many other touches I do expect to be cut entirely or greatly reduced but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's kept in but we'll see.

Map expansion, bikes and (yay, or not.) collectibles as added content too.

Bikes is a entirely different driving model to a car and these are somewhat supposed to be 1920's models although even outside of the free roam and race mode the original game had they still snuck in several much more recent models for a bit of variety and fun which I'm fairly certain the entire series has done sometimes going one or two decades beyond were the game takes place for some of these vehicles. :D

Original game has it's flaws and some dated mechanics but these could be improved without cutting them or simplifying things but until there's a more direct gameplay showcase instead of screenshots and cutscenes well we'll see once more info is out I suppose or once the game itself is released.

2. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    it looks kinda.. uninspiring to me. still early to say, and i hope these remasters will work
    because iv never finished Mafia games, and it could be a good buy for me.

3. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Comparison between M2 Classic and the Definitive Edition:

The steam rising up from the vents in the roads is all kinds of messed up.

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Solfaur likes this.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Mine is showing up as end of August 20 on Steam and Fall 2020 on EGS.

Installing Mafia 2 classic and Mafia 2 DE right now, probably the worst time though as a few hours ago i "temporarily, i think" removed my second GPU so i have very little GPU power now, but i will see how it goes.

6. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
  7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the video, that definitive edition is not good at all. Free it is fine but I would not want to pay for that , plus there is no apex cloth,gpu physx as mentioned above and bad performance.

8. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've just done a few back and forth comparisons and based on the benchmark GPU PhysX is definitely enabled in the Definitive Edition, the problem is that it appears to be very glitchy. Assuming that is the reason for the dodgy smoke in the video above.

It might be be High Physx but buggy, but it's definitely somewhere between off and High.

I know these screenshots are not exact matches, but you get the idea.
    Apologies if these cause issues forum wise, i think i'm getting old as i struggled with this so it may change in the next few minutes or so.
    1.1.png 1.2.png 1.3.png

9. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    2.1.png 2.2.png 2.3.png

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    3.1.png 3.2.png 3.3.png
    I must be getting old or i'm drinking too much due to not working, but this was so much more difficult than i expected it to be.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The performance is fine.
    If you look at the settings, the original doesn't have a MSAA setting. It only offered an "Edge AA" that blurred the entire screen.

In the remaster, that comparison turns 4x MSAA, and then shows performance against a version with zero AA.
    And as said above, it only seems to be missing the cloth physx, which... is fine. As in the original release they would bug out randomly, and kill performance. One of the biggest suggestions was to manually remove that element of the physx and play the game without it.

12. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I did notice that in the video, they have AA options that are not available in the original game cranked right up. They also have PhysX disabled in the original game and as far as i can see it's some sort of middle ground in the remaster.

Saying that, i do wish they had an option to disable PhysX as something isn't right.

Turanis likes this.
  13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Getting old? Youre only 38. I dont want to get called old in 3 years :p btw. i'd use spoiler tags for the screens.

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    40 this year, not old yet but still getting old.

The screens are from the ingame benchmark not gameplay, and if i edit those posts one more time it will to be delete the images, or are you meaning put the spoiler tags to make it look tidier?

15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The benchmark was actually the demo that was released for Mafia 2 originally.

16. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Yeah right, 39 not 38. :p yeah, put spoiler tags to make it look tidier. All ok tho.

17. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Consider yourselves lucky, i'm 46! Although i don't really bother myself with getting older. Nothing you can do about it.I may install Mafia 3 DE today. I'm hearing gnarly tales of even worse performance and blurred image quality. :(

18. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Offtopic: 40y old?Hmm...all of you need a 25y hot chick to maintain your,well,masculinity,virility,etc. ;)

On: I dont miss PhysX.Still in Mafia II DE have pop-in objects in front of view.And in that tunel to Riverside fps still goes down a bit more.
    But after all is a good Definitive Edition,do not miss older version.

Mafia II Definitive Edition_2020_134.jpg
    Mafia II Definitive Edition_2020_414.jpg
    Mafia II Definitive Edition_2020_201.jpg

ShadowDuke likes this.
  19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Looks like there's a guide now for fixing the physics a bit.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2104000842
    Seems that the particles did actually work but the cloth got bugged which can be restored as I understand it.

Still other problems with the updated edition and the update to the third game but hopefully some patching will sort out the worst of it like the sound issue, wonky performance and well I'm reading about all kinds of things but it's tough to fully confirm everything being mentioned. :)
    (Controller and input issues possibly form how the Steam gamepad is the main input so it overrides XBox and Playstation input and the related icons and then the UI scaling, upscaling and general performance and bugs and other glitches of all sorts.)

EDIT: LOD might have it's issues too.

(Apartment also seems to have various performance problems but on PC with higher-end hardware it might be brute forced and framerate remains consistent or at least higher than on consoles.)

Redemption80 likes this.
  20. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^Do you have that problem with vegetation?Because I can't have it.
    Mafia II Definitive Edition_2020_4911.jpg
    Mafia II Definitive Edition_2020_5011.jpg

Resized because is too large for server