Mafia Trilogy (New Release)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jwb1, May 13, 2020.

1. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^
    Yeah,I see some gameplay on YT,almost same thing.Well,with a drop of SweetFX the game will look much better. :)

2. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Mafia 2 game size is much bigger than the original. Must be higher res cinematics and audio at least?

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm 99% sure that's it. I'd love it to be textures or actual visual improving stuff, but it's most likely the videos quality that got upped...

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

5. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Installed,have 44.8GB: dlcs 10GB,city ~11GB,video 2.4GB,fmv 2.5GB,shops 2.8GB,etc.
    Do not recognize older saves,engine made it by Hangar13(that studio with That game named M3).
    Lot of language packs 6.75GB.

EDIT: Mafia II DE have DX11 engine with SMAA and HBAO.
    Old saves works put it in right place My Doc/My Games/Mafia II DE.Nice. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Solfaur likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Smaller tweaks though it sounds like more than the update for Mafia 3 was which while a ~16 GB update for existing installs almost looks like just a splash screen for "Hey Mafia 1 remaster coming out soon!" and some logo updates and tweaks although hopefully there are bug fixes and such too.

Mafia 2 looks to be texture and asset updates primarily character models but also lighting and some tonemap adjustments though it's a bit more mixed as it is also not a full remake.
    Probably loses the earlier PhysX stuff and from the console impressions there were framerate drops, sound issues were it almost sounded like mono channel speech and stability problems so that could be a issue.

It looks a bit different but it's not a huge change. :D
    And speaking of memory I was exploring vast cities, forests, caves and having grand adventures.

[​IMG]

Thanks, brain. :p

On that note Mafia 3 has amazing key and concept art.

[​IMG]

Sure it borrows a bit from the GTA games but there's probably older key art with a similar style, NES or SNES art is known for cramming every character ever into the busiest looking mess ever while still looking really impressive for the box art for one example. :D

Just missing the priest who I really liked as a what's it called err well the opposite of Donovan basically but also the narrative voice for the game and how it's styled as a later media presentation or interview.

Shame much of the rest of it was a bit too padded out, story itself (Bugs aside hindering things too.) really liked what was attempted but it didn't quite have the resources I suppose though with more time it could have been pretty well received.

Bit like Mad Max perhaps? Commercially overshadowed but well liked overall even if critical reviews could be a bit mixed and it certainly had it's jank.
    (Mad Max wasn't as rough as Mafia 3 however so not the best comparison, sales especially over time also worked out very well.)

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Mafia II DE just appeared in my steam account, and the old MFII is now (classic), nothing for the original game, but i will take the second for zero. :)

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Mafia 2 is great, 3 is garbage.

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    There must be a bug or something, i can't see Mafia2 DE in my library but if i search for the game on store it says i already own it and i have play now. If i click play of course nothing happens.

EDIT, logging out and back in to my profile fixed it.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    they fix up 3?

11. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    3 has a 19GB dl

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thanks dude, this worked for me too.

Source: https://twistedvoxel.com/mafia-3-update-1-10-patch-notes/

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    isidore likes this.
  13. Drthrax2k16

Drthrax2k16 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GAMINGX
    for me mafia 2 definitive edition no enviroment sound in cutscenes? what is the problem? only voice hear

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The sound was pretty buggy from the info on the console version, PC version avoids the performance problems though but it seems both these updates have issues.
    Mafia 3 also seems to have had a regression to where it once again might be upscaling when set above 1920x1080 thus appearing blurrier than it should be.

EDIT: DPI scaling issues might be a problem too for Mafia 2 now.

15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    For the life of me, I can not remember where or which account I bought Mafia 2/3 and to lazy to look. Mafia 1 had it on two different disc sets but tossed them in the garbage. Mafia 1 and 2 loved it and finished them,Mafia 3 played a couple hours and lost interest.

OMG I just looked at a Mafia 2 video from 9/10 years ago I upload and brought back memories and there was some Physx action going on.
    frack I spit my beer out on the first lines in video. Going to re-buy these definitive editions.

EDIT: Tried to buy the games on EPIC, you can not it says coming soon.

Chinese guy restaurant: Sorry gentleman this place for member only
    Mafia guy: here's your procreating membership.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    PhysX got cut pretty terribly in Mafia 2 DE and I assume they didn't bother trying to redo even the cloth physics (Which was in the original console versions too.) against a more recent SDK let alone some of the smoke and debris though it seems the data files are still there but moved around and likely at least partially disabled.

17. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I believe GTA games all borrow the crammed movie / VHS tape cover style from the 80ies. :D

JonasBeckman likes this.
  18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Wait what ,how do they cut Physx in a 10 year old game ,where the Physx was a great part of the game,although back then I had to switch .dlls around to get most of the Physx with high FPS. Maybe going to wait to buy and look at a few videos now,such a downer.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The Mafia 1 remake is handled by Hangar 13 who also developed Mafia 3 but these two re-releases with updates were handled by D3T who also did the Shenmue 1 and 2 re-releases.
    Same as that I have a feeling publisher investment and time factor in for what they could have actually done but we have two games now with re-introduced old bugs, new bugs, performance issues and for the PC version it looks like GPU PhysX got stripped entirely even removing the cloth physics that was present on consoles as well. (So if the PS3/X360 could do that it's not a performance thing.)

My assumption is that these earlier PhysX SDK's would have needed something like a rebuild against the newer available code base meaning much more work and possibly reworking some of the effects so it's removed and stripped down and far as the folder structure goes (EDIT or some such.) it seems like a fairly quick job just disabling it essentially. (Moving the material folders over apparently partially restores some of the cloth physics but might bug other stuff.)

Sound problems with mono audio, performance drops to well under the 30 cap and re-introducing patched issues like the resolution being upscaled along with potential DPI awareness issues for UI elements getting resized and bugs around lighting, shadow casters and a rough fitting of the new character models to existing rigging and animations all point to a lower cost or very quick production cycle I'm sure the devs tried but you don't do 3 SKU's (PS4, XBO plus their upgraded versions and then PC.) without a lot of time and also the cost for anything from QA to optimizations and the implementation of new features.

When it works it looks really good but it's kinda rough and uneven as many comparison videos and some of the initial streams show for both these games, it's nice that it is a free update but even this was somehow botched a bit on PC with Mafia 3 as a patch and not a separate edition even if the overall updating is less there's still a introduction of new issues and who knows how much 2K will invest for having these patched especially if the PC build requires additional fixing over the console versions.
    (The sound issue is a pretty critical one so hopefully that means at least one patch is happening.)

Solfaur likes this.
  20. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Whelp, that's not too inspiring... I'll see what the original game's remaster/remake is like.