Mafia II Demo

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Oh god it runs better in Single/PhysX combo than SLI. I didn't buy a PhysX card ffs.

Yes I can be the biggest hater ever when something isn't doing it for me. And honestly they dropped the ball BIG TIME with this game.

Will take much more than that to beat GTA4.

2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    If it runs better, and it's just a demo, than shouldn't you wait for the game to come out? Lol. I doubt that it's fair to compare a demo to GTA 4 in it's entirety.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    This runs much better than GTAIV, even in buggy demo mode.
    Its also a very different game, its like comparing Stalker to Metro2033.

Ignoring older hardware, most people will be able to max this game with a decent quad, and a either a 5850/GTX460, just by adding a cheap Nvidia GPU as the PPU.

Wanny, no you didn't buy a second GTX470 to have it as a PhysX card, but without PhysX this game would have no issues with maintaining 60fps on a single 470, so why do you need SLI?

4. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    I also don't see the point in the limited time you got, since the area and what you can do there is also limited. This is what 2K says on the timer 'hack'.

edit:
    Source http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79397

If the full game was just one mission and a small town area the complaint would be ok...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010

5. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I played with the ATI CC a little and it improved my performance, I gained 10 fps (76 average now) and I no longer get massive drops in fire.

As for the demo itself, it's a bad one, not because the game sucks but because it's so short, as a newbie to the Mafia series the demo has really left me on the fence, it certainly didn't put itself in the "must buy" column but it didn't put me off either and that's why I consider the demo a failure.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    What resolution are you playing at ? what did you set physx to ? and what fps are you getting ?

7. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    At least they gave us a demo unlike GTA4. No complaints here. After all, it's a demo.

8. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    You have a flexible system with configuration choices, in other world PC. Why complain, use whats best.

9. d3urug

d3urug Member

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB
    edit

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  10. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Apex PhysX sucks big time.

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    No it doesnt.

12. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Drivers aren't optimised fully for SLI yet it appears.

The good thing with this demo is that the optimisation will be done by the time the game releases.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Playrf demo on my laptop 5650 gpu. At 720p resolution. Shadows r low, no aa and no af and no ao. Runs very well. Game looks cool. I already preordered on steam. The thing is i better play this on console.

14. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Would you rather it not be there?

Its a nice addition, you can run it on the CPU with a bit of tweaking if you want, whats the problem? When I had my 5870 I used a 9800GT for physx and it worked lovely old job. Screaming butthurt comments just because you don't have the hardware to run it properly is a little small minded I feel.

Is it essential? No, Physx never will be. Do we really need SSAO either for instance? Not really I'd say as its subtle and fairly intensive on the hardware, but if you've got hardware that can run it why not?

I'm running Physx on High but with the NPC cloth turned off so you get all the particle effects which can be impressive when there are lots going on with good FPS. There's videos on the net showing people just shooting at windows or just crashing their car in isolation to try to show of the effects, but these miss the point. The effect can start to look really impressive in the middle of a proper firefight when there's bits flying everywhere. Just bumping a car into a barrier for a Youtube video can be a little underwhelming I think.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    No way man, it will looks and play a lot better on PC and besides it has full 360 controller support anyway.

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    There's a certain youtube video showing how to gain entry to the rest of the map in the demo. I would post a direct link but I don't want to cause any trouble!

All you need is a bus!

17. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I loved it..It runs better than GTA IV by a mile..only tried Medium setting on my rig and it runs completely fine. So its on my pre-order list now!

18. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    yeah i play it on my laptop also at work..i have 720p resolution medium settings, no AA and physx off and i have 33-37FPS...i have a 240GT for GPU.

i think u can crank up those settings even more in that laptop.

19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Some seem to think that 2K will release a SECOND DEMO for Mafia 2 prior to the full games release. Based on the following facts.....

A certain steams list is said to show Mafia II Demo 1 and 2
    The demo mission is not completely finished

Guess we will have to wait and see.

20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    hmmm..if it's true than we all must finish the demo mission no?:D