Mafia 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Exactly.
    BF3 would run on damn near anything... and it looked (still does) gorgeous.
    For all that it does, Frostbite is not nearly as resource intensive as you would think it should be.

2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    that's the great thing about it, but i think in bf4 you would need an i5 with a high cpu clock to run without hiccups or stutters and to make it safe, i guess i was running bf4 nicely at 1080p locking the frames to 60, but cpu usage was in the 70s or even 80s,(i5 4460) so overclocking or a higher end cpu was needed to maintain a good performance threshold to not get cpu spikes for example, but yes i agree bf3 still does look good even by today standards.

3. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Still no big patch for this game ?

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Nothing yet.
    But, the game has only been out for three weeks. And it received two patches in that first week. So, only two weeks since the last patch.

I'm not surprised, and not really expecting anything for at least another week or so.
    But, the developers are still giving small updates on their personal twitter accounts, stating they are working on "large" updates for all platforms.

And looking into adding more features, options and customization features to the game.

5. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    Waiting for this big update, in the meantime I stopped playing, even if I am liking the game quite a lot. Shooting mechanics are solid and when not in stealth mode, gunfights are challenging and satisfying at the max difficulty. But I really hope they'll fix some annoying bugs, like those related to the weather system, which behaves in a really weird way: once I was reaching an objective on foot and it was raining like hell, after a while it got sunny all of a sudden and by walking back on my path it got super rainy and stormy again... Going forward made the weather sunny again... LOL! I also noticed that when travelling on bridges there is some kind of sudden weather change, which returns to its previous state after crossing the bridge. It really needs to be fixed, it breaks the immersion.

6. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    About 2K,Mafia,etc

2K HQ was very keen on relocating staff to the more expensive Novato office to add to their 150+ person strong “Hanger 13” studio. Hanger 13 spent many years and many 10s of millions of dollars creating “Mafia III” which has recently tanked in reviews and has no hope of ever making its money back (it needs to sell ~8 million full price units to make up for its expenses, it has so far sold well under 1 million units).

It seems as though even CEO Strauss Zelnick can’t keep up with the studios opening and closing and changing names.In May 2014, Strauss stated that 2K Marin would be working on future BioShock titles.[10] Umm, what? 2K Marin had already been closed for over 6 months at that point! He must be confused.I don’t blame him for not keeping up considering the amount of shutting down, streamlining and renaming his little 2K headquarters has done.

Perhaps this is why Mafia III and Evolve also lost so much money. 2K HQ doesn’t seem to be afraid to try out their artistic streak even if it costs the shareholders hundreds of millions of dollars, costs the jobs of hundreds of developers, and costs the reputation of 2K as an employer.

The only reason why 2K can be so incompetent and afford to make all of these mistakes is because they have studios like Firaxis (Civilization 6) and Visual Concepts (NBA 2K17) churning out gold for them year after year without HQ interference. If 2K headquarters decided to stick their fingers into those pies, the publisher would be at serious risk of going entirely out of commission.

How 2K Killed Irrational Games—By Anonymous

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  8. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    So is 1080p/60fps without drops more achievable these days after the patch?

9. blaugznis

blaugznis Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1060 6GB
    I get more stutters and FPS drops after this patch. :(

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    better performance but still bad @ 4k , it never passes 45fps

11. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti OC Stri
    what patch? When? will it auto update in Steam?

Sorry, me dumb

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  12. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  14. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Different time of day maybe?

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You can see it clearly. For instance :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The differences in the video are so slight it's a bit much to try and call it out as a "visual downgrade".
    They softened up the lighting in a couple scenes, but the majority of the rest of the video... the weather/time of day was different which changed lighting.

Just jumped into the game myself to try, and yes... the performance is much smoother. Higher FPS in driving, combat, walking... everything.

17. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    I also had the impression visuals got downgraded and besides, sometimes car lights don't project real time shadows anymore.

Edit: also memory consumption looks lower, maybe they applied a more aggressive LOD somehow?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Car headlights not projecting shadows would happen before the patch. It seemed random, as I'd call for a car to be dropped off, and he'd pull up and I'd have no shadow.

Then, the next time I did it... I'd have a shadow.

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    very smooth 60fps @ 1440p (i can get more) but it's not @ 4k , this game isn't built for that at all

20. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    You have to wait for at least 2-3 more big patches in order to enjoy this game and even then i'm not sure if it will be fixed.