1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mafia 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 6, 2012.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Satisfaction is subjective. Please try to remember that.

2. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC
    post patch, fps definitely better in the city. but huge dip in and around areas with lots of water like the bayou. lowering volumetric effects to med gave me some fps boost. but setting a lot of the other options doesnt seem to have any affect on performance.

Lincoln reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  3. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    It also needs to be consistent Open World Simulations are the hardest thing you can put into the goal of your Game Engine and Resource Budgets :)

And saying that Mafia 3 doesn't look that bad render wise at all especially the cutscenes show the advanced rendering techniques used the biggest ingame Performance issue is the way Reflections work and the sync issues happening with them are also strange.

I wonder if it runs Graphically more flawless on GCN based Cards like the 390 or RX 480 and most complainers are Nvidia users ;) ?

Though the Question is how much time did Nvidia had access to it seeing that they released a Game Ready driver for it definitely everyone should use that to avoid more problems as necessary.

That stretchy Lady issue looks more like a Physics Engine issue then anything else, maybe because of the Framerate Unlock something seems to go heavily unsync there could be also a overclock timing issue.

Though one thing we surely all can agree on is how heart bleeding it is to see how the simulation part was scaled back and how fewer resources got invested into it compared to what Illusion Softworks/2K Czech achieved back then with way less budget :(

Publisher should really react here instead of doing zillion DLCs in the same lifeless environment with no eyes for important simulation details inside a Sandbox Open World Driven Game.

Witcher 3 is no real Sandbox Engine Game per see it's a very good Designed Character Animation and Choice influenced Story Telling RPG with some very clever developed Systems ;)

For 2K this is very important as they running behind all the other Publishers in a Open World like Game.

Ubisoft, Rockstar, Square Enix and EA learned already a lot 2k is running behind and MAfia 3 is very important.

I doubt any of the Head developers that worked on Mafia 2 would have accepted these Drawbacks and cuts and Simulation incompleteness compared to the predecessor.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    I am, I think the voice acting, story, and facial animations alone are spectacular in this game. Completely walks all over GTA in those regards.

Sure the color palette is dull brown dish water with a hint of grey. But in certain scenes it acts like a kind of filter that makes it look like your watching a gritty 80's gangster movie.

I find the game to be pretty average overall apart from a few things that stick out like what I mentioned above. People bashing this game out right and even going as far as to call the devs and threaten them with violence is simply absurd.

This is nowhere near as bad as Arkham Knight was on release, and even know after a year that game is still pretty much unplayable. At least 2k and the devs have seen their wrong doing and are working quickly to fix issues.

Also to add we may even get some custom SweetFX presets that we can use to increase the IQ while we wait.

5. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Yes it is absurd absolutely agree but it has become so common also that everyone starts to think he is a Graphics Expert and knows exactly with which budget the Devs had to fight and what they wanted to achieve and why ;)

Arkham Night had some great Internal Developed Stuff for being UE3 based and great Planar Reflections.

And this is the biggest difference you should keep in mind that Mafias Engine code belongs entirely to the Hangar 13 team not 1 line of 3rd party codebase involved except maybe some Middleware ;)

Tonemapping is always a thing you can argue about also the usage of Depth of Field and it's Render Impact.

But people see the Witcher 3 and how crystal clear it looks and they associate something with it :)

Physical Based Models and Looks are on the Rise currently and it will be hard to sell something that drives for a overly Blurry unsharp over Antialised over Tonemapped CGI look for the users that got fascinated by its more realistc look and feel they experienced in Witcher 3, Battlefront and Co ;)

But believe me People will Cry for this Mafia 3 Blurry look if they gonna play Final Fantasy 15 and have to experience that awefull Hair Shimmering all the time ;)

You make a Game of the Mafia you have to handle them ;)

As a developer you can only lough about such comments as

I mean seriously that's absolutely no base to talk with these devs on and even most user here will lough about such compares.

best way to show how ****ty GTA 5 looks ;)

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    Was just going to post that. So many immersive elements just thrown out the window. A 14 year old game had them, then a 6 year old perfected them, and the newest "next-gen" ignores them entirely.

Bashing the cars and bloody footprints were awesome...

7. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Lots of stuff was Nvidia Physx based in Mafia 2

But yeah Blood and IK Floor Contact seem to have vanished from the current Mafia Engine codebase.

You need a lead with visions ;)

8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    And a dev team with lots of talent, which Illusion Softworks had.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    wow, cant believe the diffferences in mafia 1 and mafia 3.

they even nerved the glass which was a thing in mafia 2.

what a letdown.

10. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Last Game I purchased from 2K, and definite last Pre-Order from 2K as well.

As a big Mafia I Fan and I liked Mafia II as well (The Snow Theme to begin with was just amazing) they really pissed me now off with Mafia III.

I waited for the Install till Sunday, once the patch downloaded I gave it a try...loaded it up on my 34" 21:9 Display...till I figured out and sorted the Resolution issue, 30 Minutes were gone..then it just didnt feel right...uninstalled...waiting for the next Patch.

The only and last game I have right now on Pre-Order is BF1 Ultimate Edition, all other games like WD2, I will wait after the PC release and then decide..

Sorry but they knew they will screw up, 1.9GB for a Patch that included mainly Keyboard remapping and the FPS issue plus some other stuff is poor.

2K really screwed us over...let's make them pay for it for the next games. Don't and never Pre-Order from them again!

11. fernake

fernake Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    GTX 1080 is more obsolete every day that passes, not even able to maintain 60 fps at 1080p with all options in ultra in the newest games when they are about to launch consoles rescale images to 4k for a lot more just , I think this will be my last extension of PC, not worth spending so much money on something that a year is outdated.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Exactly. Cost of high end has gone up tremendously yet the performance value has dropped at the same rate.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    https://mafiamods.com/mods/categories/mafia-3/

Script-hook utility and a couple of simpler cheat lua scripts.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tested some of the functions and managed to hide the player model as the command was unchanged from Mafia 2, still testing to see what's possible but it seems to be pretty flexible so far. :D

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    That's been around since Duke Nukem 3D in 1996.

15. gringopig

gringopig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    Thought I would post a wee video of a mission. Looks good to me personally but they need to fix the upscaling from a lower resolution. Try playing at 1 level higher, say 1080p to 1440p

Compared to Mafia II this is way better for me in terms of story development and the way the game draws you in. I played Mafia II right before this and enjoyed it greatly. I think with patches and further work it will be a great game but I'm glad I got it.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    I remember, it proves my point even more. If this was a new thing 20 years ago, it should be the norm now.

It might not be a big deal for many, but I find every small detail like this that adds to immersion to be important, especially in a game like mafia, where atmosphere/story is everything.

17. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    WTF!

2016 and they can't make a working mirror? Is this a AAA game or a school project???

18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    There is no upscaling, the in-game AA is a blurry mess. Just use Reshade/SweetFX to fix it.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    This game is using 90%+ of my CPU most of the time. Not even GTA V cant compete with how CPU heavy this game is. Its literally destroying my 4.8ghz i5.

[​IMG]

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The game isn't upscaled. It's the in game AA used, their form of TAA is incredibly blurry.
    And unlike games like DOOM or DX:Mankind Divided... there's no in game sharpening option to counter the blur.

You can use SweetFX or Reshade, but both made the game unstable. Using either it would crash randomly.. without them, the game runs fine.

Yet, so many games don't do it either.
    Off the top of my head... Outlast did it. Maybe the 2013 reboot of Shadow Warrior... but I can't recall completely. The Evil Within used it.
    There are other games... but it's far from being a feature that's standard. It's not in DOOM, either of the new Wolf games. Any Resident Evil game.

The list of games that actually uses such a detail is very, very small.