Mafia 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 6, 2012.

1. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    That's what I'm starting to think. So many games this year released with the "who cares, this is pc / buy a bigger gpu" mentality.

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Even though I agree that there are a lot of ****ty titles, there are gems like GTA V, Witcher 3 or the new DOOM, which make up for it. For this reason I became a LOT more selective when buying and playing games, so the ones that I do buy, I play for hundreds of hours each.

PS:

I'll mention that I also played some Mafia 2 months ago with a dedicated PhysX GTX680 and with in-game PhysX set to max the particles were insane, way better than in this video...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, couldn't agree more.

I was looking forward to this but no amount of patching is going to hide the fact that this is not a good game and certainly not up to the pedigree of the first two games.

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I decided not to wait and got it. It's actually not bad. It clearly has some issues, it isn't polished like a GTA title, it's got washed out colors and blurry textures. The movement and driving feels a little clunky. It looks like it should run smoother than it does. It's crashed once.

Overall though, they seem to be nailing what I liked about the original Mafia. Good story, fleshed out characters you care about. A story that's woven into interesting game play. A pretty good vibe of being in late 60s New Orleans.

It isn't perfect, but it's holding my interest. I'm compelled to continue. I also like that they fixed the FPS cap almost immediately. Not sure why it wasn't already there, but whatever. They are trying to get this better for the PC master race.

5. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    After playing through Mafia II as a distraction from the deluge of complaints, I bought the game relatively cheaply - knowing all the potential problems but have been enjoying it actually.

I compromised a few settings and am playing at DSR of 2560x1440 as the native option MUST be up-scaled as it looks so blurry and am getting acceptable framerates with no stuttering, so as soon as I switch Afterburner off, I stop worrying about framerates. Getting in the region of 40-70 fps

Thing is - compared to Mafia II the performance is a dream. That game had massive sudden drops in performance randomly from my capped 144 fps to the low 20's! Not to mention the slo-mo sequences upon discovery by the police.
    I forgave those though as the story was so good.

and the same with this. The voice acting and general quality of the story line is worth a lot in my book.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    With a powerful card like yours...the results are atrocious.
    I wonder if they can save this title with a performance patch of some kind.

7. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
  8. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
  9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Its not an unconnected opinion. You can see it in game... Hes a giant compared to everyone else.

As for Black protagonists, ive not a problem with them. What i dont like is shoehorning or forced diversity. Its transparent and blatantly disingenuous. Look at how mirrors edge handled diversity...it created a new ip and ran with it, Dice didnt go and shoehorn some lame attempt at diversity into an already established ip.

Also, I called it earlier in the thread, i knew this would turn out bad (just like the Bioshock remasters), and here we are. A half baked under performing pile of.

Time and time again ive pointed out the half assery this industry has become, and every time i get called a hater or something similar and people act like im the problem when itd not me pre-ordering and/or supporting shoddy work. Games keep getting churned out like this because people keep buying them.

I think my opinion and that of others like it are the opinions you ought to be listening to. Im not saying i know everything... but pattern recognition isnt a superpower, im sure you can do it to.

10. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    I think the point is made explicitly in the game that the main protagonist is a big man. I really don't see the need for comment that he is a big black man. No-one commented on the main protagonist in Witcher 3 for example. A hero is often portrayed as large in stature in video games. Why all the comment about his race? I have seen so much comment about it online and it makes me wonder.

In fact, portraying a powerful black man punching the ****e out of racists is almost as good as shooting Nazis lol - all in a historically accurate context of course!

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    There was complaints over the witcher. Polycuck did a great ol speil about it - http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem

The witcher is set in slavic folklore, so of course hes white! And there were no Africans in that area of the world when the witcher is set. Oh, i dont recall peter jacksons LotR being called out for its lack of diversity when they came out? Why did people attack the witcher for it?

As for the mafia games, mafia = Italian mobsters in the eyes of nearly every fan of entertainment. M3 is simply the most ridiculous premise ive ever seen in a video game.

No one has a problem with black protagonists, just like no one cared Faith is Asian or a women. The problem is as i mentioned about this sjw narrative. Complaining about white washing, lack of diversity in already established IPs rather than creating something new, but instead supporting color and gender washing of these already established IPs.

These are the same ****ing people (sjws) who claim its cultural appropriation for white people to wear dreadlocks, these are the same people that are complaining about lack of diversity in Kingdom Come Deliverance:
    [​IMG]

12. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    Mafia III is set in 1960's America in the south during a period of social and political upheaval. This is a fascinating period and the change in perspective to that of the black population and their gang culture is very welcome.
    There were black and Chinese gangs in Mafia II as well.

'Mafia' is regarded now as a term which encompasses gang culture of all creeds, so to not use the black population of the south in the late 1960's US would have been missing a huge opportunity.

Trying to make sense of what's going on in that spoiler but after a few minutes sensing I'm sensing a wish that Lincoln Clay could give that Daniel chappie a boot in the baws.

If I want history, I will go and read books. If I want fantasy entertainment I may play a video game.

13. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    The games **** for sure, but the main character and the story(telling) are actually the best thing about it and are pretty interesting and engaging.

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The Mafia series has always touched on racism, prejudice and bigotry. There were racial terms used in Mafia II. And the black mod in M2 was often looked down, talked about in negative and racial terms.

But, your big "issue" of the last few posts has been "he's giant... forced diversity... "
    How's he being a larger man an issue? It's not an issue the DOOM Marine stands above other people?
    Why isn't it an issue that BJ is larger then everyone in the Wolfenstein games?
    Adam Jensen is taller then most people in DX...

Why feel the need to make a deal out of Lincoln being a larger man? It doesn't do anything. And, hate to be the one to say it... but... there are people like that in the world.
    That appear larger then everyone else.

15. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    That´s crazy, your processor is waaay better than that tablet like console processor not to mention your card, this shows you how complacent crappy programmers can be.

16. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Funny how this game pushes my cpu to over 90% on four cores while the Witcher 3 which looks 10x times better doesn't. My gpu Is at 100% though.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    meh, good that I find this franchise boring. Mafia2 gta wannabe with ****ty car physics, this Mafia3 is even bigger pile wannabe full of glitches and bugs.

/Next.

18. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Nothing funny about that. I wouldn't have expected it otherwise. Games like GTA V Mafia 3 are usually very cpu intensive.

19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Where!? I dont see it with zapping. And im not gonna watch a 20 minutes video of the prologue.

btw. theres no "next" button after page 6.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Uhmmm like at the start ??