Mafia 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by GT40Nutcase, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ct03

ct03 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
  2. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Self optimizing? Rofl, have you got any idea what you're talking about?

3. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    did you not see the question marks i put there? and did you not see how i started the sentence?
    "if i understand correctly" can you see now? or do you want me to write bigger.

and about what you wrote, dude do you understand the meaning of my post?

when i said "self optimizing" i was arrogant, i'm not f*cking stupid to believe that apex can self optimize..

if you are smart and truly know what the f*ck is this sh*t APEX and how it works, you should explain, cause in my statement i didn't say i knew, i asked alot of questions there buddy...smartass.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC

5. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    I am loving the demo and can not wait to play the game.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

6. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Mario Galaxy 2 is so blatantly Banjo Kazooie. The only difference is your in space collecting stars instead of notes. -_-

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i have to agree, it looks allot like gta4..

The way character reacts if you hit him or take his car, fast food stands, cops are no exception,.. actually the whole city feels like one big gta in the 1960.. but its allot better than Mafia1, that was such a pos game, yeiks :puke: lol

8. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Kinda how it is in the real world? :p

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    pos my ass, it's one of the best story driven single-player games ever made, and one of my all-time favourites.

10. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Just realised the speed limiter is alive and present if you hit 'L', one of my favourite things about the first game. I just love gently driving around the city stopping at lights watching the world go about it's business. :)

11. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    EPIC!:rock:

12. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    It is nothing like GTA. Well, maybe a little.

[​IMG]

13. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Rofl. That's hilarious. That has to be a photoshop or something though, I don't remember that in any of the hours playing the demo.

To be fair though, it's kinda unfair to compare all these games to GTA. GTA created a new genre, and other games are using the genre. Real life just has things that are the same.

14. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    srysly?. When i had nvidia, never used physx.

When i enabled physx on CPU in mafia, i couldnt see what was physx-ed until i read reviews. But i could see frames dropping a ****in lot. Not worth to buy a GPU just for a tech that only 1 game of each 20 uses. And its almost un-noticeable in real gaming (not while you are looking for graphical details). And that way will remain until not 100% of users have access to it.

Said this, if i had to buy an expensive card, i would buy a 460 nowadays, physx its fine to have, but not like buying something extra for it.

15. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Physx is garbage. Another physics system could do this with not even 50% the strain. The only good thing I'll say about it is that it looks great, but that could be done by any other.

16. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Your second clause didn't have a question mark, you just stated that it sure isn't "self optimizing". So

The Apex thing is just a higher level interface than compared to older physX SDK. I imagine it's something like that you can define what type of object something is. Is it cloth or what. Then the Apex engine defines how it behaves, while previously with the physx SDK it could've been that you had to write the algorithms by yourself, define how it moves and behaves, etc...

Note that I haven't used those at all, I'm just guessing. But the word "interface" suggest that it's a relatively high abstraction level SDK for physX stuff, and the nvidia info page says that it's for 3d artists.

17. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    I am liking the PhysX thing myself......the game runs fine on my system with the PhysX on.

I like having the extra particles flying around and they seem to remain lying on the floor also.....i also like the idea of the movement of the clothes when you get in a fist fight.....little subtle things that make the game more polished for me.

Plus....if you dont like them or if it is more of a performance hit than you want to take, then you have the option to turn them off......but personally i like them very much and am all for them.

18. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i'm guessing the performance would have been much better if they used the old physx SDK and just write the algorithms..so if Apex does all of the work and the performance is so poor with physx on i'm guessing it doesn't do a great job, that's why i stated, that it ain't self optimizing, by writing the algorithms manually i think they could optimize it better.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    the performance of the demo is fantastic! I'm running it maxed (no AA) and physx on medium (cloth only on Vito, all the other effects intact) and I'm getting 50-80fps. Not a single slowdown. To be honest, I didn't even notice the difference between having cloth on all NPC and Vito only. I would have to be looking out for it to spot the difference.

Game runs great. Much better than GTAIV. The shadows are better, there's nowhere near as many pop-ins as in GTAIV. best of all it's totally smooth! great job!

20. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    for a second there, i thought you were running physx on your CPU. You should update your profile to at least include the nvidia card you're using as the PPU