Mafia 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by GT40Nutcase, Aug 21, 2007.

1. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    It's probably just that it injects a value into the executable.

2. °L°

°L° Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    avast too detect a trojan

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yes it detects that it injects code or tries to inject code in the actual Mafia2.exe file and thus report that, file itself is clean and it's described further on that site. :)

4. evilfury

evilfury Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X

5. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    oo I hate you guys lol you are all enjoying Demo and im stuck at home! Mafia is favourite game and ive been waiting for this one for a LONG time!!!

6. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Anyways I had to uninstall the old PhysX as (it seems the installer was unable to update it) to get the demo to work without crashing.

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I finally installed STEAM for this demo, and since the full will be steam powered anyway. Weird not to have a desktop icon and a game folder (even though I found something similar in STEAM/steamapps/common) but I guess I will get used to the whole interface with time.

Now to the game, the demo is beautifull, it looks good, sounds great and even the performance is remarkable for a single, old, stock clocked 280. And by perfromance I mean the in-game one, WAY better than GTA 4 for example. The benchmark is pretty rubbish as you can see here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weird thing it only shows my cpu at 4 GHz when it's actually on 4.2, but I guess it does not see the 200 MHzs from turbo-mode.

8. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i don't trust that stupid in game benchmark so i made a custom made with fraps, it starts after you leave the house and ends when the cops start to chase you at the end..here are the results:
    1680*1050, APEX Physx medium, rest max

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  9. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Game runs great with my ancient rig, physics were off though but im not bothered about that. This might be a winner if its anything like the first game :D

10. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    the benchmark is a lie...my game runs awesome on all high settings with no AA and no Ageia of course...it has a very stable framerate...much more stable than that GTA 4 hog!
    the is pure gold, but one thing really catches my eye: those wiped out textures i see on Vito's clothes, aswell as other environment objects; maybe that being a demo and all, everything will be set to a better texture detail in the final release!

11. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Physx in this game is crap unless you run GTX480
    it's stupid and can't use multi core cpus properly. my q9550 is at 50percent max, with full usage I could play happily with this physx but no!

12. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah let's hope so, don't know why i get the feeling that the final release will look exactly like this..but i really hope we will have at least a texture option.

TDurden i disagree, my gt220 can handle physx good even on high..

13. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Ok... There is a driver issue: if you enable Apex/PhysX this will be handled by the CPU and not by the GPU (EDIT: with the PhysX System Software package that comes with the demo), not only in Mafia II, but in ALL PhysX-featured games... We need a new driver release I think.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The benchmark in Mafia II is wrong anyway as the first time I ran it I'd left v-sync on by mistake and at the end it told me my average was 57 fps and that the maximum was 125 fps, which is impossible as the framerate was capped by the refresh rate of my display which is 60 Hz and, therefore, 60 fps.

When I disabled v-sync, I got lots of tearing and an average of 94 fps which is obviously indicative of not having a capped framerate on my system.

15. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro

maybe, if you have a dedicated video card just for physx and use modified drivers etc. not everybody does or wants to.
    and anyway it does not change the fact that physx when calculated by cpu is NOT able to use power of todays multicore cpus. with quads we would probably be able to play this game with physx and without any nvidia cards IF only physx was coded properly..and I heard it does not even use SSE lol/..

16. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    This may not come as a suprise to many of you but I downloaded the Demo on the 360 as a comparison and I must say the PC version is WAY better. The 360 version was really laggy in populated areas and didn't look anywhere near as good! PC version is the way to go with this, unless you really need the achievement points.

17. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    False positive.

[​IMG]

Still don't have the demo (downloading it right now) but the "patch" is not a virus.

18. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yes i agree with you, i run the benchmark without the gt220 and it run constantly at 8-10 frames..but what can you do? it's nvidia's technology it's kinda normal that physx is coded for gpu's and not cpu, how else could they sell this..

that's why yesterday i went i got this gt220, cause i got sick of not being able to enjoy games with beautiful physx..

19. °L°

°L° Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    i would like to use the gpu inside the new intel core I3/I5 for physX.
    Isn't it a good idea?
    after all, the gpu is not enough for games, why can't we just use it for something usefull?

20. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Don't know if anyone noticed this, but I think I found something humerous. When you shoot the fat guy and your carrying your friend away, frantically hit e and scan the floor. You will see some mammary glands. Yay playboy partnership.