Mafia 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by GT40Nutcase, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Only had about 10 mins on the demo but first impressions are that it runs well, looks great and will be lots of fun to play. Tested at 1920x1200 on max. settings, AA on (there's only on or off) and PhysX off on a Core i7 920 running at 3.2 GHz with 6 GB and HD 5870 CrossFireX. There's a built in benchmark (a taxing warehouse one with gunfights, explosions and fire) which gave me an ave. of 60 fps with v-sync on and 94 fps with it off.

The game seems to run very smooth with no noticeable hitching even when in a car at speed. Draw distance is average with cars and pedestrians fading in mid-distance. Physics look good with debris breaking off concrete walls and pillars during gunfights in the benchmark so I'd imagine that PhysX only adds more particle effects and stuff that you won't really notice during normal gaming. A nice extra but I doubt I'll miss it (I'm an ex-NVIDIA card owner by the way). The PC demo also supports the Xbox 360 controller by default with appropriate on-screen button icons too so that's excellent as I loathe playing third-person games with a mouse and keyboard personally.

I changed my outfit at the closet by the door in the house, had a quick run around outside, visuals look very nice but animation seemed a little stiff, jumped in the (empty) swimming pool, accidentally shot an innocent passer-by when I pressed RT instead of LT to get out, cop turned up to arrest me, bribed him with $50. Jumped a car, had a speed around, handling seemed really good, on a par with GTA IV... good stuff! ;)

A couple of gripes, AA is the crappy edge-based stuff the LEGO games use so it just blurs edges (plus doesn't look much different when it's off!!!) leaving the mid-distance onwards plus telephone cables looking very jaggy but it's bearable and after a few minutes I quickly forgot about it. The second is that when I quit the game the gamma/brightness on my desktop had changed to being very dark and I had to log off then on to fix it.

Looking forward to trying the PC demo further tonight along with the 360 version too.

2. DeadLine

DeadLine Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD7970 Ghz
    Fixed it, game didn't change vsync to disable.
    Runs smooth as butter now :)

3. Drazio

Drazio Banned

GPU:
    FVCKING
    With all the details maxed out everything was blurry 15ft away and heavily aliased, the draw distance look very low as well.

There was also some massive screen tearing which forced me to turn on v-sync.

Performance wasn't excellent, but alright with the lowest being 40FPS.

Gameplay was a bit mediocre, but I was fine with it..the driving would probably be my only gripe as turning was delayed and stiff no matter what option I used (regular or simulated), I suppose they did that to make thing's more...authentic...

Overall I'm quite disappointed, but oh well..if that's how it's gonna be..so be it...

4. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Can somebody post some screenshots please?

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    crossfire is broken for many of us 4870x2 owners with anything newer than 10.5

6. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Look in screenshot thread
    Hope that ATI will release hotfix or new crossfire profile

7. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Demo is great but I hate this big crosshair, a simple small dot or something would have been better imo.

[​IMG]

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE

Me too.

The game for me runs butter smooth though even with 10.5 drivers (TwL 3.49).

[​IMG]

This is with PhysX off, all setting maxed out, have no idea why I got minimum of 10fps didnt even see the fps counter go once below 57fps mostly staying around 80-100fps mark.

Still I am upgrading soon to a GTX480, that card should chew this game up and spit it back out again.

EDIT: changed pic to a thumbnail, pic was too big and I have no idea how to resize.

9. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    Game runs well..even medium physx...didn't think physx would even work.

It is very playable with 1920 max settings ...40-60 fps with vsync dips to mid 20s sometimes, but not often at all... and without physx no worries.

Popin less noticeable then GTAIV, cars drive nicely in sim mode and game is fun :)

I have an old ati agp card, can i bung it in and get that to work for physx? :D

10. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    PhysX on High=A continuous slowdown, it's simply unplayable in the distillery... What a shame...

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Man the demo is short...

12. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    So I downloaded and installed the demo and I must say I'm impressed! It runs good, looks good and I am certainly looking at the full game. The benchmark gave me a Rank D and said performance wasn't optimal at my settings but It ran great, stayed above 30fps for 95% of the Demo.

Posted screenshots in the Screenshot Thread. Also, does any one else have a problem of the game leaving the screen a dark gray after exiting?

13. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    anyone got a fix for the refresh rate problem that i have?
    installed the demo via steam, and when i open the game, my monitor doesn't support the refresh rate (and maybe the resolution aswell), and so i am asking if you could give me any command lines to apply on the launch options.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
  15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Just played the game after running the benchmark. What can I say, I am really looking forward to this game. Had my eye on it for a while now. The demo runs butter smooth, had to enable vsync and my fps in some scenes was ridiculously high and in others it would dip to normal 80fps and seeing that massive dip made me turn on vsync. What great I get no micro stutter with this game at all with vsync enabled, unlike some other games.

Excellent work on part of the developer. Game runs well, looks great, gameplay is fun, demo is short but it gives you a good indication of what will be in the full game.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I get the same problem when exiting the game, my desktop becomes very very dull. Just CTRL+DEL and the desktop will correct it self.

17. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    It looks great!!! I didn't suspect it would look this good! The outside world is just amazing

Only thing i have to say is that when driving a car, the camera tends to woggle a little bit too much for my liking, I can imagine people getting really "car-sick" like this...

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
  19. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Same with me Darren, BitDefender blocked it even before downloading.