Made the switch from Nvidia to Amd R9 390 but have low frame rates

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dennymoofoo, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  2. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    The psu states it has 80 bronze efficiency but i know that can be bulls**t

3. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Need the model to be able to check what it can push

4. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    Nevermind.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

5. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Seems they don't even sell it anymore so that one you listed is as close as it gets. It doesnt even have a model number on the psu its just called a novatech powerstation 750w psu.

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Think I found it
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/651wto850w/nov-psb751.html

Doesn't say if it can push 35A on each rail simultaneously, but I'd hazard a guess that could be the problem, but still strange that benchmarks, that should be pushing the card harder than gaming, are working fine

7. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
  8. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Its near enough the same specs but that one is modular. Has the same amps on the +12v1 and +12v2.

9. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    Is there maybe another benchmark i could run and post the score here so you can see if its correct?

10. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The way it's advertising specs, sounds like it can push 35A on both 12v rails at the same time, but you never know

I'd try the clean install of Windows first, if it's still happening, I'd upgrade the PSU, or at least borrow a higher rated PSU to test, one that has at least 50A on one 12v rail

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    3DMark11
    Valley & Heaven

Are the preferred benchmarks

12. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    Well ive actually got an 850 w modular ocz psu in my pc upstairs that i might swap out but its just a block of dust lol and im worried about putting it in. But yeah i think i might just give windows a reinstall and see what happens.

13. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    Ok ill try those and post my results.

14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds a much better choice PSU, just clean it up first, hair-dryer or something will work fine to get rid of the dust

15. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    Ok well i have just run 3d mark 11 performance test. My card is an xfx which is factory overclocked to 1050mhz on the core and i got P14371. Physics score is 9375 is that ok as well for a 3770k?

Edit: Seems i might be getting performance relative to the r9 290. That cant be right. Some of the 290 scores are higher than mine at the same clocks unless im misreading it.

16. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You can check against other similar systems from the results page, or from the benchmark threads here
    http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

17. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    Well im completely lost. Just checking the 3d mark11 database for the 390 and 3770k im actually getting higher scores in general than alot of people with the same clock speeds and cpu clocks. So i am at a complete loss. All of this seems to point to hardware being fine. Maybe it is something to do with windows and surely if it was my PSU then i wouldnt be getting as good benchmark results as i am. Thanks for all your help though its really appreciated! :)

18. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I'd definitely go for a clean install or dual boot to test if it is a windows problem, and if that doesn't cure it, try that 850W PSU

But I'm with you, if it was a hardware problem, I'd expect to see it more so in benchmarks, but at the very least, in both gaming and benches

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    35Amps on 12V, that would be 420VA. 50A on 12V would make 600VA. I see no reason to insist on such requirements.
    It should be noted that I run Fury X on PSU which has 4x 8pin PCIe and each is rated 18A. With 2x 8pin on each cable making each cable to deliver up to 36A... more than enough.

@ OP: Someone already wrote it, but I can repeat. Have GPUz running in background. Get into situation where you'll have consistently low performance. After 10-15s <ALT>+<TAB> and check if GPU utilization is low or if GPU clock decreased. And its combination.
    Only decreased GPU utilization - other than GPU problem.
    Only decreased GPU clocks (GPU utilization 100%) - throttling, thermal or power.
    Both clock and utilization decrease - you have some other bottleneck and it is so big that GPU even downclocks.

If your fps drops only momentarily (0.5~4second) and go away without moving/looking to different location, then you have just slow HDD.
    Most often visible in modded Skyrim, as player goes forward and then quickly turns 180° around. All those hi resolution textures which were not pre-loaded are needed again.

20. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Ok so ive done as you said and in Crysis 3 my clocks never actually sit at the full 1050mhz but memory clocks do stay at full but GPU load is absolutely all over the place spiking and dropping to 0. Ive taken a screenshot of gpu-z after i alt and tabbed out. This is the welcome to the jungle stage and on this stage im hitting as low as 25fps as soon as you get outside!!??

[​IMG]

Edit: This test was run with v-sync off