Made the Switch 2500K>AMD 3600

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by jbmcmillan, Mar 28, 2020.

1. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    It went smooth as hell windows reactivated right away. I was starting to get a couple blue screens with the 2500k so it was time as I built it in 2010. Only really tried using Hand Brake to re-encode videos from MP4 to MKV as my tv won't play MP4 . It went from about an hr 1/2 to 23 minutes so that's good will be playing more for the next few days.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Congratulations on your build!

3. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I'd definitely say the 2500k has seen it's day. While you could have poured more money into it, I believe you made the right choice by starting fresh. It's well past time anyway.
    Love my 3700X I picked up last summer 3 weeks after release, as I do much content creation - of course it's snappy with games too.
    I doubt you'll have any regrets, should be a world of difference in multi-tasking and system responsiveness despite having gobs of things open.
    Mind that monitoring software can do stupid things such as cpu clocks getting ramped up often, or cause a consistent lag spike. So if you get that (coretemp and some others can do it), make sure they're updated, or only use them when trouble-shooting.
    My last machine was built around an i7 4790k, that could barely hold it's stock clocks and needed a 100$ fancy air cooler and delidding (did that here), plus liquid metal. With this 3700x, the stock cooler was sufficient, and I didn't have to pull the chip apart to get it to what the box says it can do. Much happier this time around. I am sure you will enjoy not just the new-found speed but also the consistency of your system's speed will be SO much better with 6 cores and 12 threads, vs 4 cores 4 thread + security patches galore slowing it down even worse. Also, it won't bake you out of the room in the summer.
    Happy computering!

4. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    2500K had pcie 2.0, tons of security flaws that once patched really decimate the performance, slow Ddr3, and no HT. In terms of raw single core cpu power its actually still decent when overclocked but those other factors mean poor I/O performance (especially with nvme) and crappy min frametimes (stuttering often).
    It lasted me from 2011 to 2020 @ 4.5ghz though but its well worth upgrading now. I'm on a 3800X now and I've been playing guild wars 2 again lately and that game is DX9 and very cpu dependent and the difference is massive.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    This should not be necessary. MP4 and MKV are only containers. You can use VLC to swiftly swap container with the convert button. No re-encoding needed.

And grats on your new cpu. I had my 2500k up to 2018 and it really felt like it's days were nearing the end.

6. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    im with ya man,came from an i73770k to a new ryzen 5 3600 cpl weeks ago and its like night an day woooooooooo luvin it

AsiJu likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Ryzen 3600 is today what 2500k was back in the day.

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Just 2 days after making the switch 1 of my terabyte mechanical drives packed it in causing a no boot situation that freaked me out a little. Put my troubleshooting hat on and had it figured out in short order. Lost a lot of pack ratted movies and exe's of old programs so no big loss. I tried the convert with vlc but it seems to take about the same time.

9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Did you select keep original track?
    A 12GB movie I just tested right now takes I dunno 20-30 seconds to convert.

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    maybe direct me to directions lol.

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Gratz on your new build!

What mobo did you get?

As others have stated much better multicore performance and overall system performance but you do get a notable IPC boost as well for single-threaded stuff.

It's often overlooked that while Ryzen is behind Intel 9000 series in per-core performance (unless you match clocks), it matches or exceeds 8000 and all prior series.

13. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Congrats with the new system!
    I ordered a temporary system to go from 3990k to 3600.
    3600+B450 mITX and 2*8Gb 3200 memory came at €450 so I jumped it.

Future wise I shall pass this system on to wifey when the new AMD socket comes out depending on reviews.

Ofc. Quarantine made sure my motherboard was out of stock JUST as I ordered it.
    Very excited! Can't wait for...may the 25th... :(.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Tell me how that goes. Im In the same boat but i feel 3930k to r5 3600 isnt that amazing of an upgrade considering its the same 6c/12t. I want those 8c/16t and aiming for an r7 3700 instead.

15. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    [Moderator please delete, double post]

16. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I shall.
    I was made aware of the following:
    - bigger cache memory on every level
    - my choice of memory has the highest supported clockspeed. More than double the memory bandwidth than DDR4 ( does not take dual channel vs quad channel in account though, from what I can see in the same class DC vs QC doesn't matter )
    - greater clockspeeds, base and boost.
    - much lower power usage / TDP.
    - much more newly supported extentions
    - big IPC improvements single and multicore.
    - Price of CPU and motherboard makes it bearable as a temporary step-up until either AMD or Intel shows some big innovations ( AMD is doing great now-a-days. Intel not so much... )
    - This is going to be a hand-me-down system and wifey doesn't play big AAA games nor very spec intensive games ( just GW2 and indy games ). So even for her this is going to be quite a step up in 2 years. i5 6600 non-k with 1600Mhz DDR3L and RX480 4Gb now.

What benchmark would you want?