1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Max the game an industry forgot but gamers didnt

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    cant understand how it has already been over three years since the just cause developer released a game that hit many like a bolt from the blue and like as my friend told me he compared it to a movie that was ignored but slowly went on to become a true cult classic and I constantly see it keeps on being uttered on the tongue around here. When it comes especially to bringing up an example of how pc gamers should be treated when it comes to good optimsation you can bet mad max always gets a well respected nod!! I dont think i have had a pc game run as well for me right out the gate as good as this did and having almost ZERO tech side issues I was allowed to fully enjoy the game from the moment I woke up in that desert and had to quench my thirst. Loved the combat which was beyond brutal very satisfying and the car combat would make me grin so much my face kinda hurt.

What i would like to question tho is for the sake of argument lets say that a second game was rumoured to be coming what would you want from it compared to the first? What was it about the originall that made you fall in love with it and hold it in such high regard ever since?? many yes brushed it off as a quick movie cash in but what could have been something that was only passable as a game actually now has a pretty solid following and i think it more than deserve the sequal treatment if just cause can hit 4 releases. damn ive gone on a bit there i will finish with long live diamonds in the rough like Mad Max and pls pls give us a second one Avalanche Studios!!! PLS!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Wasn't licensing a issue? I don't know if it was ever confirmed though but I remember reading that Rage 2 possibly started out as a sequel to Mad Max but ended up turning into Rage 2 instead though that seems a bit unlikely with the former being WB Games and then Rage would mean they'd switch to Bethesda for the publisher.

I liked the game though, had it's flaws but it was really enjoyable for what it was and as usual for Avalanche there were some interesting things to discover and see when exploring the world even outside of the regular boundaries. :)

EDIT: Ah so WB Games might not even have a license to the franchise anymore. That would be a problem unless some other publisher re-negotiates it and that might be pretty expensive and would put demand on the developers and sales expectations.
    Which for a less known franchise it's going to be hard to meet with what some publisher demand for sales and then features and other content they deem the game must have.

At least unlike Activision and a few others the digital games aren't just up and disappearing a few years afterwards due to limited license deals to where the entire source code has to be destroyed as well as happened with the Transformers games for example.

And those flame trucks had the best explosions. :p
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....275/4FFF8421716797B490FA30650A0DE1A98B6E7BB2/

3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Finished the game some months agooo..awesome game i loved it.

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    it was a good game mad max in arkham engine was not bad, they did not go overboard with collectables, the map was decent.

story was ok had some feelz to it mad max is mad yo mofos get murdered.

i certainly would give a 2nd a glance at lest, less their loot boxes or paid level ups or something scummy in another single player game.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    I'm currently on my third playthrough. As a huge fan of the Mad Max franchise this game had it all. Beautiful graphics that run like butter, amazing vehicular combat, and melee combat that was totally fluid and smooth. Plus it was nice to see elements from all the movies mixed in together. I would love a sequel but I'm not sure what kind of storyline they would go with, a prequel perhaps based on the original and some parts of The Road Warrior? It would be awesome to see the Toecutter and Humongous. Plus big rig 18 wheelers and motorcycles.

6. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX580 8gb
    Was an awesome game, never finished it myself, maybe I should go back to it now I have a beast of a PC bet it can run and look amazing.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Totally. I run at 1080p with v-sync, max settings, and it never drops below 60fps.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    I absolutely LOVED it! What's funny is that I got it at some steam sale very cheap with 0 expectations, other than liking Mad Max movies, since I literally heard nothing about the game before. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least and ended up 100% it with over 80 hours /played. It's a true gem, Just Cause engine in the post apocalyptic wasteland of Mad Max was a great combo. I don't even like Just Cause games, but I sure loved this, so big props to the devs from me!

jbscotchman likes this.
  9. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    ohhh yeahhh great to see the game getting some much deserved love for me it was one of those games that stayed with me long after i first completed and have finished it several times enjoying it more each and every time I did theres something about the world and the story of a man and his machine that become one in those chaotic but sweet moments when you dish out death in so many varied guizes. I still think it has some of the best hand to hand combat around with every punch to the face or knife to the head feeling so very fullfilling and that journey from road kill to road warrior felt earned every step of the way. ok sure just cause 4 may have a huge twister but there was genuine something crap scary about those walls of dust coming at ya in this that instilled a sense of dread as you quickly search cover then ride it out inside or if you had the balls go out there and chase down tumbling crates for scrap. with your harp/

i knew it Ive gone and made myself want to play it again now lol and before I forget how can I not mention this game has Chumbucket!!

jbscotchman and Solfaur like this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Yeah those wasteland storms are epic! You really feel like you're fighting for your life especially when you venture out to collect big scrap.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Didnt you guys had a feeling that all that wasteland becomes tiredsome and repetitive after some time? The game had very slow progressive system and to be fully upgraded you had to grind the same stuff over and over again.
    Driving around for ages, earning scrap, getting a few upgrades for a barely any progress.

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    The progression system could take time, some of it had to be earned, other stuff you had to accomplish by reducing the heat levels and upgrading the various strongholds and the later areas required these upgrades to have any viable chances of survival since you can't really carry that many knives or shotgun shells to more easily dispatch foes. Removing the mines in particular required using a specific secondary vehicle but they were thankfully pretty infrequent.

Exploring the larger more empty areas for any points of interest could be quite uneventful too unless it was night since the underground dwellers started roaming around and could pose quite a challenge.
    Though vehicle combat is greatly simplified to almost being trivially easy via the Thunder Harpoon upgrades although you can't carry that many of these though they really help later on. :D

And once you get the V8 there's a entirely new set of upgrades to acquire though the progression system meant you could find or stumble upon higher-end upgrades before you got lower-end ones from mission stories and such.
    (Though weight balance and such matters a little bit too especially for extras like the car armor.)

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    I liked the progression and the grind, though it did not seem like a tiresome grind to me, since I enjoyed the game so much. And as Jonas said, you do need to get at least some upgrades before moving on. Also the different zones were pretty apart one from another, looks wise, and day/night cycle together with the sandstorms were amazing.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    I got bored with the grind and slow combat about half way 2/3 way through the game, cheated in unlimited shotgun bullets and scrap and just completed the story.

15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    story was not bad tho aye?

you cared enough to cheat to finish it after all ;p.

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    It was pretty interesting best I remember,can't really remember much about it, I probably just wanted to get my moneys worth

plus when you cheat you can massively accelerate the games pace

17. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Never play it, always heard great things about it.
    Going to buy it fox Xmas and offer it to myself.
    Hurray for me!

18. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1

i missed this when it was first uploaded so thought I would share it with my fellow Guru MM fans :)

jbscotchman, cerebus23 and Solfaur like this.
  19. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Rage 2 is proof it wasn’t forgotten. Mad Max was the best resume id Software looked at when looking for a developer to work on Rage 2 as they began working on Doom Eternal.

I can’t remember much about the story. It was a bit of a grind and I never finished it.

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Licensing is a issue isn't it, wouldn't surprise me if Mad Rage 2 might have started as Mad Max 2 at some point though but I recall something about WB and the license.
    (See that Activision? You don't always have to immediately pull the game from sale the second the rights expire though I suppose contractual stuff is what blocks things like Wolverine and all other titles from ever seeing a release ever again.)