Mad Max game from Just Cause 2 devs announced

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 11, 2013.

1. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    The game looks really fun and it's only £10 on CDKeys so I'm going to grab it tomorrow.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I paid about £11 for it, installed and played for about 5 minutes. Haven't touched it since. It's cheap though so why not, might be your cup of tea. I'm just bored of the "let's make an open world game" trend.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    5 minutes?
    So... what... you made it through the opening cut scene and maybe met Chumbucket?

4. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    But you knew it was open world when you slapped down your £11 for it so why waste your money on something you knew wasn't your "bag" in the first place? 5 hours is barely scratching the surface of the game so 5 minutes is just looking through the settings menu. :p

Also all this talk of repetition. Seriously? Name me a game - any game - that has been released well ever that hasn't involved either minor to medium or even major bouts of extreme repetition? I don't see why Mad Max is getting singled out so much for it when so many other games The Batman's the Assassin's, the Tomb Raiders, the Shadows of Mordor's etc etc have all tackled repeated game play mechanics in exactly the same fashion for years and years prior.

If Halo can get praised to hell and back for repeating the exact same thirty second rinse and repeat action bubble then I don't see why anything else can't be repetitive and yet still be rightfully praised in the same way as long as it remains fun, challenging and rewarding to the player.

Max comes from the Crysis school of thinking when it comes to game play where you are offered pretty standard scenarios on a plate but the game stops you and says wait, what if you try and approach this in a different way and think outside of the box rather than just tackle it head on? Wouldn't that be more fun? Of course it always is.

Creative outcomes are always the greatest reward for the creative thinker and for me this sums up Mad Max 100% which is why as was the case with Just Cause 2 before it I enjoy playing it so much.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This is a rather long video at 40 minutes from TotalBiscuit regarding the negative Mad Max reviews but it is well-worth a watch IMO as he makes some very valid comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJANS0VTpbY

6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Kudos to TB for such a great video and thanks for posting. :)

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, pretty much. I'm more of a collector of games nowadays. It was cheap so I bought it. Might revisit in the future.

8. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Did that with Witcher3. Havent touched it since i played 3 hours or so. Too many great games atm. ;)

9. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Is anyone experiencing problem with resolution? I have 16:10 monitor, 1440x900 native. When i put resolution to 1440x900 it feels like it's upscaled, image is blurry, and the best evidence is Afterburner OSD. Font is blurred and doesn't feel like it's the same size as usual. Games is in fullscreen, tried aa off/on, also tried to turn off post processing in .ini file. ??

10. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Personal taste and all that, scores mean nothing I just like to watch gameplay to see what it's like.

also I hated witcher 3 found it boring with terrible combat yet I enjoyed witcher 2

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, truth is review scores don't really mean anything. They are just that person's opinions being put on display.
    But, the problem is far too many people take review scores (be it the youtube kind or the "professional" kind) way too seriously. As if they are some factual statement about a game's quality sent down from God on high.

And in this case, Mad Max is obviously getting dumped on.
    The complaints are incredibly stupid. The game is repetitive, the story is weak... actually say one saying that the game is based on the movie, yet Furiosa isn't in it.
    Or, one complaining because Max picks up all this scrap around the world. They were complaining because "we're supposed to believe Max can just hold all this in his pockets"...

Yeah.
    Because holding 300 pounds of stuff in Fallout 3 and running around fine, but holding 301 pounds of stuff and not being able to move is believable.

There's an odd overly cynical view being applied to Max that just doesn't make sense.
    Where are these complaints when Assassin's Creed comes out? Repetitive? What about FarCry... Watch_Dogs... even the Arkham series and Shadow of Mordor?

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, I had that problem when trying to use DSR to force a higher resolution than my native 1920x1200. The game would set the resolution in-game and work fine but on reloading it the resolution would reset back to 1920x1200 but still show in the options as the higher resolution!

I ended up working around that issue by using the game's launcher options (right-click on game icon in the Steam library > Properties > Set Launch Options) and entering this:

/width=2880 /height=1800

That way the game always loads up at 2880x1800 and also shows in the graphics option as that resolution too.

13. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    So Mad Max is anti female now too? There's no Furiosa? there's a female locked in a cage?

Well if indeed this is the case then what I want to know is for all the mass praise MGSV is getting where is any of the discussion surrounding making one of the secondary protagonists into nothing more than a sexual object? Of course I'm referring to Quiet. But oh no we can't have a bad word said against Mr Kojima or Konami or MGSV in general. I'll simply allow the following video to do the talking

What a hypocritical industry/hobby this is.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  14. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    L o L ..

15. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I loved his critique of the game and why everyone is right. He made a lot of good points. In my opinion though the "busywork" is what makes the game fun. If I were to just blast through the main story I doubt I would find the game nearly as fun.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

16. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Lol, you gotta give to Kojima, he's doing everything he can to provide for his no-game fanbois. :wanker:

But on a serious note, is that AMD Boobfx or Nvidia JiggleWorks? I can't tell.

17. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
  18. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    It's one of those games that create atmosphere by having nothing on screen. When i walk across the road to collect scrap and see that burning wreck of my last enemy in the distance i get this chilling feeling of being lost in a hostile world and the car is the only safe place. Awesome game.

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What ive always said. Rise of the man children, not happy unless they have it all and all their way.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well done with the texture work. MoCap actors wear full body suits while being video captured right? :)

OnT : Got the game for a mere 17€ but didnt have time to install it yesterday. Will give it a shot this weekend but if it resembles AssCreed too much I guess I won't play it for long (tired of those games atm).