Mad Max game from Just Cause 2 devs announced

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 11, 2013.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 3080
    I stopped playing, i hate it that so many enemies come at you and it's frustrating.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I have yet to run into a single fight that I felt was unfair.
    I love the fact that the enemies don't just sit there waiting for their turn. It forces you to keep an eye on them.

Yeah, I've gotten hit a few times because of how it's done. If you're in the middle of an attack you can't just stop to parry another. But, that makes sense.

3. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I think the combat has more depth to it than most ppl would think. It's not just 1 attack and 1 parry, you can combine tactics like throwing lit canisters, using melee weapons against several ppl in front, powered up attacks by holding the key/button and last but not least you can sprint into a group while holding attack and push someone back with your shoulder.

Really love it

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i thought that is the only keep we have so upgraded it good and spent alot of time and scrap to it. just unlocked that SHIP wreck 1 legged guy keep. damn need to unlock stuff of him too. it took for me hours already :(

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    To be fair to the game the combat is as complex as you wish it to be based on various factors including available weaponry, upgraded abilities, timing patterns, the contextual based combat, your proximity to your surroundings etc.

The games combat unlike other games is not about making Max just simply look good when he dispenses of enemies. It's smarter than that but only if you take full advantage of everything there is to offer.

If this is the thing that makes you stop playing man I honestly feel for you because like others I've never found myself in a scrap yet that I didn't somehow manage to gain the advantage in and win even if it was by the skin of my teeth. A quick roll here and there can often do even the worst situation wonders.

Don't get frustrated, get mad.

6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    A roll is way more reliable than a block.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    The melee combat?

Yes, I agree that the number of enemies in combination with a less responsive counter button and the annoying War Criers, who rouse the enemies into attacking harder (shown by a red outline around them), can be annoying.

However, there are some tactics you can use to make it easier.

1. Try and take out the War Crier *before* you enter a combat area if you can. I have found that sometimes it is possible to take them out with a harpoon or missile from outside in the car. Definitely makes things a bit easier.

2. Run away and try and lure them through a door so you can limit the number that attack you at once. One effective tactic is to lure them outside then get in the car, back up and run them down. One or two may climb on the car but a quick boost into a wall or in reverse will kill them.

3. Look for fuel tanks or explosive spears (which usually respawn) as these can take out enemies before they even get near you, particularly the latter as it has auto-aim so just stab the Throw button (B on the controller) and, BOOM! They're dead! :D

4. Use the Dodge move (RB on the controller) as much as possible to avoid being surrounded. You cannot be hit while dodging. If you are surrounded then try holding down the counter button (Y on the controller) rather than just tapping it. I found it works better but it still is not perfect as it is not instant like in Shadows of Morder/Batman Arkham. If all else fails and you are near to death then run away to recover your health (always make sure your water bottle is full before entering a camp and top it up whenever you can).

It goes without saying the Dodge move is particularly useful against the "bosses".

5. Don't just stab the Attack button (X on the controller) but hold it down too as this can chain some really powerful hits that can take enemies down quicker in 2-3 hits rather than 5-6.

6. Last but not least, make sure you regularly visit Griff to upgrade Max's abilities as you increase the amount of time he stays in Fury mode, the durability of weapons, etc, etc.

I've found the combat to be mostly enjoyable and certainly satisfying. Only a few times have I felt it was unfair but that was more down to a lack of planning on my part or being a bit too greedy or confident.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 3080
    I only have the harpoon atm, and the war criers are usually too far away to hit.

I'm still very early in the game so my car only has the harpoon.

Actually tried luring them away through a door, i made it a bit further but still i get rekt lol.

Thanks for the tips i'll try it again later. I'm not giving up on this game yet, i love open world games, i still have Shadow of Mordor to finish.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    I finally fixed the irritating-as-hell auto-save stutter/juddering and tested the game for over three hours without a single hitch even though it was saving constantly (as per normal).

How did I do it?

Well, it did involve relocating Steam onto my SSD (C drive) but the reason the game stutters in the first place is due to it saving the game in the UserData folder which is located in the main Steam folder. It does not matter if the game is installed on a hard drive as long as the UserData folder in on the SSD. My game is installed on my 2 TB E drive. Originally, Steam and therefore the UserData folder were installed on my D drive along with around 1.2 TB of Steam games.

So what I did was close Steam then COPY all the folders in the D:\Steam folder to a new folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam *except* for the SteamApp folder (which is where some of the game are located), the Steam folder (location of the shortcut icons etc) and the Backups folder.

I then ran Steam.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam and let it validate and open. The only thing I had to do was to add the original D:\Steam folder to the Steam Libraries as it removed it and added one for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam. I hope that also fixes stuttering issues with other games too, including MGSV:TPP.

It's not a fix per se as it still requires you to have an SSD and the fact still remains that the Xbox One and PS4 can run games that auto-save on slow 5,400 rpm SATAII hard drives without any stuttering at all even when are also streaming data from the same drives!

Still, I cannot express how wonderful it is to be able to play this awesome and addictive game with a, yes, silky-smooth framerate. It made me realise just how much the stuttering was irking me. :D

10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    While they are incredibly short, I wish there was a way to disable the intro videos when you start the game.
    Nothing I've tried works, and it seems other people haven't been able to find a way to disable them either.

11. romul

romul Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    My Xbox 360 gamepad was old and not that good,so I bought Xbox one controller.Now the game is even more better :)

12. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb

The method I suggested would have fixed it simply as well ;)

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Sorry I must have missed your post. Can you link to it please or repost? Thanks.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

Grimbarian was referring to using symbolic links for the user/data folder for save games. Move it to ssd, and link it via symbolic. The same thing we use to have to do before steam allowed multi directory installations and moving games from folder or hdd to elsewhere.

As for the save game stutter, could it have something to do with the page files in windows? Maybe thats what they use when saving games, rather than passing through system ram and then writing the save file. Id imagine that the page file would be slower than doing it through ram.

Or, it could be as simple as windows and or the game placing the save process in a higher priority and that causes the game to wait, so to speak, briefly while the save file is written ensuring that the save file is created properly.

Or, Darren, i have no idea what im talking about, but either way we now have three possibilities that we didnt have before.:p

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  15. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Exactly :)

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Funnily enough I've done no such thing and the save stutter has all but disappeared all on its own. I'd just forgotten all about it until now.

25 hours played and just hit 22% completion. It goes without saying that this is a very special game.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    it says no fuel for balloon lets say. i bring fuel tank but cant fuel the balloon fuel thing..why;? need to unlock that region? so lame :(

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Make sure you're on the side with the gas tank, or else it doesn't give you the prompt.

19. Maken

Maken Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti 6GB
    +40 hours played, was having some problems finding mindfields, but found some of them, some camps i could not find last scrap, tried to start all over but still nothing, sure im missing somethings. Really love this game

20. Jamie T

Jamie T Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Thats good, gametime is always something very important to me when buying a game. I value price vs gametime.

I like a game to cost me less then 1 euro a hour to play.