Mad Max game from Just Cause 2 devs announced

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 11, 2013.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    While i havent played it, i have been keeping an eye on this thread. Pretty much every poster is praising it as a great game. There are a few who find it repetitive and bland.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    it has . i already unlocked too many :D

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Don't listen to the reviewers. Listen to the gamers.

I left the room earlier to get a coke and upon returning my wife asked me who was having an argument outside. I said I didn't hear anything and then realised what she had actually heard was chumbucket ranting and raving in the back of my car as I left the game running. Hahaha.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    100% agree with Stone Gargoyle's comments on that Jim Sterling review. The jump comment was strange...I mean I have not had to use it much but I have HAD to use it in order to collect scrap or loot. Last night for example I found loot was actually placed in location that could only be accessed by jumping!

As for why R2/L2 (RT/LT) are not used for shooting...my guess is that decision was taken to make driving and on-foot combat consistent since those buttons are used for acceleration/braking when in a vehicle. And since you can shoot while driving - actually this is one of this game's most fun features especially when you get the harpoon and missiles - then it is arguably the best way for it to work in a game where 80% of the time you are in a car. GTA V worked differently (and how Sterling was wanting Mad Max to be like) but most of the combat in that game was on foot.

Not sure what his problem is with the game but it read more as a personal attack than an objective critique. He even picked on the fact that you have to hold down buttons rather than just press them while conveniently overlooking the fact that often there are multiple choices when stood near the car for refuelling, putting fuel in the car, etc. While button presses might work for many, by having to hold them down it means that many more won't, say, accidentally ignite the fuel instead of filling the car up!!! It must work because I have not managed to blow myself up yet. It is not a perfect system but I think it avoids many mistakes (like the kind in The Witcher 3 where you keep lighting candles instead of collecting loot).

The game's best part is the vehicle combat which starts off awkward and a little annoying, especially when confronted by multiple enemies. Once you start upgrading the car and gain the different weapons though then it becomes more and more enjoyable, actually, very satisfying blowing up goons that decide to just ram you. Take that, you scum!!! Ha, ha!

Ahem...there is a learning curve after all. I love the fact also that I don't have to shoot snipers but can ram their tower if they are in them, shoot a missile or even pull them or the tower down with the harpoon. These choices become available the more you play it. The game constantly rewards you for the stuff you do. When I played last night, I had not been to see Griff for a while and had 15 points to spend! Ten minutes later while randomly driving, blowing up enemies and scavenging I has another point and enough for a new car upgrade.

P.S. Managed to unlock the three heads for Max with goggles which look really.

*EDIT*
    Sorry for all the weirdo grammar and typos...that is down to posting it on my iPad which has an overzealous spell corrector! :bang:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    The Achievements are not showing for me in my Activities although I can see how long I have been playing: 24 hours this week (weirdly it then says 25 hours in the last two weeks when the game has not even been out one week!). :3eyes:

6. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I'd say if anything the car combat itself is in some ways actually far more intuitive than even the hand to hand combat and holding down the button while still making your mind up as to how you wish to use the tools at hand is easily one of the games biggest strengths. Do I want to remove a wheel? Pull out the driver? Rip off a door? Slam an enemy car off a cliff? Shoot the fuel tank on the rear? And all of this is happening while you are frantically racing around in a dust cloud often against multiple enemies and even then you are keeping an eye on your fuel, your damage levels and switching between tools depending on how the battle is unfolding all at the same time. It just works.

And this is all based on what little I've unlocked so far so I just know there's even more juggling to be had as I progress even further but again no matter what it is I know it will work and work well. Not against me like so many other games tend to do, but work for me.

I know I sound like an MGSV hater and wish to see it dead and no I have not played it but I am honestly just sick to the back teeth of the treatment Mad Max is getting just due to the fact a new Kojima game is also out at the same time.

7. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I bought Mad Max and MGS PP. They both are great games. MM is just pure fun.

8. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    playing it, awesome game. Mind you that i kinda hate post apocalyptic games in general, i couldn't stand Borderlands or Rage, but this, this feels different, maybe because Mad Max has an awesome history and they really nailed it with the game. And the performance is really great, technically speaking it's not the best looking game out there, but it's definitely the most beautiful. Solid 60fps at 3200x1800, Vsync on, every slider to max.

9. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    The game is super optimised and loads of fun. I bought my copy from cdkeys.com for $19. That's a steal.

10. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I find i dont use my 360 pad for driving anymore, the game seems to be VERY optimised for driving with KB&M - much more precise when looking around in a car battle, loVE IT!

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Agreed. Both very, very good, fun games. Mad Max is more instantly accessible and appealing; MGSV:TPP is much deeper and more tactically satisfying.

I would recommend both. There's no reason to just pick one. If you can only afford one then buy whichever interests you most now and pick the other one up when you can afford it.

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Still loving the game but anyone else find the combat really poor. Given the gritty realism I wasn't expecting Shadow Of Mordor style combat but one button for attack and one button for parry is just rubbish. In SOM of Mordor you can control the battle and deal with 20 or more enemies in style and it is so much fun to play and looks fantastic, in Mad Max the second you are dealing with more than four enemies it turns in to mash the X button while pressing Y every 3 seconds to parry one of the 3 guys that is attacking you.

I know it's all meant to give gritty realism, I know some of it was to fix the complaint about enemies waiting their turn in this style of combat but surely they could have given a little creative license and put a bit more flare in the combat.

I dunno I've unlocked a few of the combat moves so maybe it gets better the more I unlock?

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Rocksteady got away with it, guess they thought they could too.

This is also using a movie license, so chances are that they needed to make the game as accessible as possible as WB were probably hoping even the most casual of casual gamers wouldnt be able to resist a MM game.

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I personally love the simplicity of the combat.
    It's partially why I think Arkham Asylum's combat is the best. Because it's the simplest. With each new game they kept adding more and more to Batman's moves... and, in doing so yeah some stuff looks cooler.
    But, it also took away from what was so great and engaging about the first game's combat.
    Hell, even in Ctiy, ORigins and Knight I find I still mostly stick with the first game's style. Ignoring the new moves because I think they just slow down the combat.

With Mad Max it fits. Max isn't some specially trained solider or fighter, he was a cop... who lost his family. So, while he does have some fighting skills, he's mostly just a simple brawler.
    So, pounding away on enemies is what he's got. And the game shows that. It may be simple, it may not have the flare or style that Shadow of Mordor added to it's combat... but, it doesn't need it.
    This is a man with nothing left, nothing but anger... and that aggression comes out when he's beating these guys to death with his bare hands.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Agreed

16. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I think it fits perfectly too as personally I don't wish my rendition of Max to feel like a finely tuned killing machine in hand to hand combat who can avoid anything and everything thrown at him because that's not who the guy is intended to be. Plus it worked out pretty damn well for Mel Gibson.....

:)

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    The combat does the job well enough considering how it is not the main focus of this game. It often looks spectacular as there are context sensitive moves and finishers depending on where you are and what abilities you have upgraded. It feels brutal (shotgun blasts to the face, yeah!) and reasonably satisfying to not be a chore when it crops up and never feels intrusive IMO. I even enjoyed the one "boss" fight so far as well even though it was easy (just dodge away and run in for a couple of hits then run away, repeat until dead).

The only complaint that I have is that executing counters seems to rely move on HOLDING down the Y button (on the controller) and would be far better and more responsive if you could just tap it and instantly counter like in the Batman: Arkham games and Shadows of Mordor. Also, the camera can sometimes lose track of enemies such that you cannot see whether you have to counter (countering when not prompted breaks the combo chain) but it is rare enough not to be too annoying.

Just reached Pink Eye's outpost and still lovin' it! :D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i have both games. MGS need focus which i dont have right now. and slow u know.

What a LOVELY GAME is mad max :D

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Wow, 30 hours into the game and I'm still discovering new stuff. Like when I got caught in a storm and saw three boxes with yellow icons on them suddenly blow across the desert in front of me and hit a cliffside. Curious and thinking they were loot I'd forgotten to pick up, I drove over to them with visibility very poor and smashed two of them with the car. Turned out that each of these boxes has 100 salvage in them so I quickly picked up all six for a total of 600!!! I then died but, fortunately, I did not lose it and promptly bought Max some new upgraded gear.

I also found a camp in Pink Eye's territory spanning a long bridge that was a lot of fun to take out. It has lots of hidden areas so I have not yet found all the loot there. This territory is also visually different to the southern areas in that it has buildings: diners and houses as well well as broken highways and bridges. Oh and some trees too! The southern is supposed to be a dried up sea bed hence all the pipelines and ship wrecks. The north is the old habitable areas so the map has a logical layout to it.

Even stumbled across groups of survivors dying of thirst and Max can then offer them some of his water out of kindness. The only problem with this is that enemy vehicles can still attack Max while the water exchange cutscene is occurring which can be damn annoying, especially as the people he was trying to save usually end up dead, crushed beneath the wheels of the cars!!!

Such a great game that keeps throwing interesting stuff at the player and while the act of scavenging and taking out camps remains the same, their layouts are all unique meaning that no two are the same. Sometimes I've found markers on the map and had to look around to find where the loot is (container doors can be pulled off, hidden ledges round mountains or narrow gaps into caves, etc). Makes exploring an absolute joy when there is always always something to find.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, I'm currently driving around... making all of Jeet's area safer.