MacBook Pro gets Toasty, is this ok?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by 240aintenuff, Mar 21, 2006.

1. 240aintenuff

240aintenuff Member Guru

GPU:
    Unlocked 6950
    I've had my Apple MacBook for a couple weeks now, but I'm getting worried. Coming from the gaming world, I know how important it is to keep things cool ( PC has 4 120mm fans, sounds like an Airplane!) But my notebook gets very hot. I mean so hot where I can't even set it on my lap. Will this shorten the life of my new baby? After spending $2300, this sucker better last a long long tiime.

2. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    The reason why Mac laptops get so hot is because they're passively cooled. They release their heat out of the bottom of the case. They are equiped with a fairly powerful fan inside that turns on when it hits a certain temperature. Apple's hardware is pretty durable so I wouldn't worry. I just downclock my processor when I'm working and only use it at full speed when I'm gaming. You can downclock by selecting 'Better Battery Life' or by going into the energy saver window in system preferences, select options. Where it says processor performance, select reduced or automatic.

Unfortunately you can't adjust fan speeds on Apple laptops but there are a few apps you can try.

Temperature Monitor is one. Runs in either the Dock or the menu bar. Displays your all your temps (CPU, gfx, battery, etc.) and fan RPMs.
    http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

Another is iStat and iStat Nano, which are Dashboard widgets. Shows CPU and battery temps and other system info.
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatnano.html

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    get a notebook cooler and why buy a mac cos there cooler better laptops now and some are better looking

you should of looked around

4. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Notebook coolers don't work. We already had a thread on that.

BTW, don't be a PC fan boy, don't Mac bash. :smack:

5. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    MacBook is an intel notebook
    As for the heat, hot can be normal (hence why they are called notebooks rather than laptops these days for liablity reasons). However, do the fans ever spin up? If not you have a problem.

6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    On late model PowerPC G4 based laptops, the fan will kick in around 60-70c. The fan then rapidly cools the laptop and shuts back off at 50c. Where PowerPC lacks raw speed, it makes up in durability so high temps aren't a problem (much like highend GPUs). Mac laptops are passively cooled due to them being mainly used for multimedia, as silence is golden.

The CoreDuo should run cooler than the G4, with about 70c max which is normal form most modern CPUs.

I just though of something else you can try. When I am gaming on my iBook, I found a large hardcover book and I put that between the laptop and my lap. Paper is a good insulator of heat so my body heat isn't adding to the computer's heat. Laptops will cool better on a flat surface no matter model they are so a book or TV tray will help a lot. Try to use it at a desk when possible.