Mac Gurus: Begin Drooling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by orenda635, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Alec Alec Alec.

Marry me. =P

You'll love that MacPro.

2. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    I know i will love it. :)
    I will even game on it in order to shut up all the Apple-hating-PC-loving gamers that were spitting on Macs ever since the original Macintosh came to light... :D

3. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I'll give you five bucks for your PC. :D

That MacPro should be fun. What you should do is remove all your specs and then post some screenshots in the "Show Off Your Latest Games" thread. Let em' guess what you're running and then shock the hell out them.

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Hehe... that's a good idea, i will do just that. :D

And by the way, my PC is not for sale. Two workstations are better than one, especially when i render stuff on all available processors (although I usually leave one for gaming while i wait ;))

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006

5. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    Since my gf works for apple, I keep hearing about this thing. Finally I told her to go calculate the cost to build the machine herself. She shut up after that since the cost of the hardware is roughly half as much as they charge. Ripoff IMO.

6. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Well, i don't believe you.
    Where did you get your pricing?
    Newegg does not sell dual socket Woodcrest mobos and Woodcrest CPUs.
    And second, you can't get a case like the Mac Pro has anywhere in the retail market.
    Also, you can't run OS/X on a home built PC legally.
    So, please stop comparing Apple to home builds.
    Compare them to HP or Dell.

7. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    I found Woodcrests here and their prices are perfectly in tune with the Apples prices.
    Also, a workstation Intel mobo will be about $700, so combine that with the price of ECC RAM and a good case and PSU and you will quickly be over the price of the Mac Pro.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  8. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Oh Kyle, you don't understand business. The reason our hardware is cheaper is because we don't have to pay anybody to assemble, package, and sell it for us. We also don't need to make a profit to keep shareholders happy. I told you PC fanboys what to do, go make one custom at Dell. The price is the same. See for yourself if you don't believe me. I did it with an iMac as well. Once again the price difference is mostly in the software.

Now the ultimate test. Mac vs Voodoo PC!
    The winner is....
    Mac, cheaper by $100

Compaired to the VoodooPC Hexx system with exact same hardware (or closest equivilant in some cases, ie monitor)
    Hexx: $5437.37
    MacPro: 5338.00

That includes keyboard, mouse, and monitor for both. The VoodooPC comes with no software other than Windows XP Pro. With that factored in, the Mac is almost $300 cheaper. The 3.0ghz Xeon Woodcrest should also be faster than the 2.93ghz Core2 Duo.

9. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    Why is that? You would think if they let people build their own PCs they might get that many more copies of OSX out there.

As for ever owning a Mac, "sadly" I'm a gamer, and until Macs support DX it just won't happen. I mean if Linux can get some support for it, you would think a company such as Apple could get the same basic support.

10. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    yeah thats great for macs and all except they are starting at $2200 and so that doesnt give any options for mid-range users......but good for MAC anyways

11. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The iMac is supposed to be for the mid-range user. It starts at $1299.
    If you're thinking of gaming systems, Apple really doesn't design them for that. The cheaper iMac does have a Radeon X1600 which should handle most games.

12. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    I'm not just singling out apple here. Pretty much every company out there is going to charge you almost double. I understand how business works and IMO, it is bogus. Why do I need to pay for a products advertising, I just want the ****ing product.

This is why I will never buy a prebuilt computer again in my life as long as my hands work.

13. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Advertising isn't free. If companies don't include it in the price of their product, who's going to pay for it? All company expenses are ultimately passed onto the consumer. That's the price of doing business.

You still pay for advertising on the individual components. You don't pay for labour to assemble them. That's why it's cheaper.

14. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    I'm a little confused. Why do you feel the need to justify ludacris prices from manufacturers (not just apple). I understand there are costs for advertising, production, and assembly, but that just does not condone in my mind charging $2 for a $1 widget. I would accept $1.25 or at most $1.50, but honestly, apple, dell, and a number of other companies did not get to where they are by offering their products at reasonable prices. They are the leaders in todays consumer computer market and they know they can charge an arm and a leg to consumers who are not technically savy. Apple even overcharges on products they resell. They take a set of headphones and tack on another 30-40% because they know people will buy them as add-ons without checking another store first. I'm sorry but I just find that disgusting. And I don't just sit back and watch. In the past year, I've built custom pc's for most of my family and friends. I've also offered to build computers for friends of friends or friends of family for little to nothing. They choose the parts with my recomendation and I charge them about 50 bucks to slap the whole thing together. I ussually equip them with virus, spyware, and internet attacks and schedule them to update on their own. I haven't had one call from anyone so far and hopefully idiot proofing them will keep that from happening.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    People aren't concerned in making their own, let alone going to computer shops, the majority of the world, including business's will still rather pay for a machine they know they are going to get support from.

It's easy, people pay for things to be easier.

Sure you get better warranty on individual parts, and it's not that hard to do it yourself, but people just can not be bothered to stuff around.

That's how business works man, what's the point going into business if you don't get profit?
    All the shops that sell things for really cheap, usually don't make enough and go out of business for trying to be the good guy and sell it with minimal markup, it usually doesn't work.

16. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    I don't intend for the whole world to build their own pc's. Obviously this is just not possible for most business's. I just think there is a happy medium where profit is made and raping of customer wallets is decreased to a minimum.

I don't know why everyone is looking at me like I've lost my mind. Would you rather I say prices should be increased? :p

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  17. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    I would rather have everything for free, but in order not to be called a commie, i kinda support companies that make healthy profits in order to feel good about making a healthy profit myself. :)