M2 ssd shows activity when empty

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by urbancamper, Oct 8, 2018.

1. urbancamper

urbancamper Member

GPU:
    RX 5700xt / 8gb
    Mb z370 sli+, i5 8600k, 16gb ddr4 3000mhz. First m2 slot Intel MX 3.0x4 660p 512gb, main drive. Second Crucial m2 MX 500 500gb, for storage.

Even when empty the MX 500 shows activity. If I format it I am told a process is running. Have checked for virus, and malware. There are none. Previously when was inactive it was just that...inactive.

My suspicion is that the 660p may be using that to booster it's cache, which was reported to slow the drive down when full. Though I have never had any problems.

Any ideas why the Crucial shows activity when empty when previously it did not.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can try to spy. Launch Resource Monitor (resmon.exe) switch to "Disk" tab and watch the list with files on disks used by processes.
    Or you can download SysInternals Suite and use ProcMon.exe to spy on disk activities.

3. urbancamper

urbancamper Member

GPU:
    RX 5700xt / 8gb
    Resource monitor shows nothing. Procmon.exe on the other hand shows all sorts of stuff. Most all of it is closed. I should mention, I generally use the drive to back up my main drive. That would explain the closed stuff.

The culprit is my new virus protection that I installed recently. Apparently It monitors all my drives, even inactive ones. I'm good with that.

Anyway, thank you for hooking me up with SysInternals Suite. It is chock full of neat little programs that may come of use at some time in the future. Thanks again.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you do not use the drive on daily basis you can simply remove drive letter in Disk Management. I do so with my backup drive.