1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M.2PCIe or sata III advice ?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by norton, Dec 17, 2017.

1. norton

norton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    hi guys i'm asking for an advice i want to upgrade my system storage, my pc have gigabyte H97-D3H MB
    that have M.2 PCIe but at 10Gb/s not a full speed 32Gb/s i found a good value samsung evo 960 250 GB M.2 ssd and another samsung evo 850 500GB ssd at almost the same price ( the 500 GB's price is higher but not too much)
    so i know from my MB limitation i wont get the full speed of the 960 but almost 1.25GB/s for read and write
    so should i get the evo 850 500GB sata III ssd or the faster evo 960 250 GB ?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080FTW
    On the h97 you might get pci-e x2 which will still be 2-3 times faster than the standard ssd but depends what your going to use it for.

3. norton

norton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    i will use it as system drive and some games like GTA V and ghost recon wildlands should i get the higher capacity or get the faster one what do you think ?

4. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX 1080Ti
    Does it has to be Samsung? You might find something else for same price but twice the size, instead 256Gb 960 you might get 475-512gb model

5. norton

norton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    No it doesn't but i'm searching for ssd with 3d nand and DRAM. There are a lot of cheap ssds that doesn't have DRAM chip that have lower life cycle and lower write rate

6. norton

norton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    Any suggestions ?

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think either choice is good, although personally I would go with the M.2 drive at the listed capacity. FYI, I currently use a 960 Evo 256 GB for my boot drive, and a 940 Evo 1 TB for my data drive.

norton likes this.
  8. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    If the purpose is "gaming" (that being all the machine will be doing), you probably won't get much faster load times in any games beyond what SATA provides already. Keep in mind that there's other chokes than just reading raw data off a disk. That data has to be unpacked, which is predominantly CPU or RAM bottleneck.

Quite literally load time (specifically in games -- something that has been benched extensively) from a PCI-E connected SSD, SATA connected SSD, and even RAMDISK, is identical down to the second (comparing quality SSD's, and modern gen). There can be exceptions such as if the disk will be used by other software concurrently of course, yet if this disk is dedicated to the storage of games then I doubt it'll make any measurable difference what the interface is.

That said, 250GB is insufficient for modern titles. Since there's games being released today that use 50GB for a single title, I think I'd personally compromise and go for more space.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    norton likes this.
  9. norton

norton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    @A2Razor thanks a lot, i will go for the 500 GB sata ssd as GTA V now is 74GB

10. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Agreed that 500GB is minimum for a gaming SSD drive.

norton likes this.

11. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Some games are starting to take an insane amount of space. I was just running out of space on my SSD and realized that Ark + DLC's takes up 148gb.

12. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    and the sad part it isn't from textures

13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    I wouldn't worry about the lifespan of an SSD, even if you wrote insane levels of data daily you would be upgrading long before it died.