Lucky? or something wrong with 3.2 P4 OC temps?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Species, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS (512) 750/1875/1000
    Ok, i am not posting this thread to brag or anythign like that, ive got a p4 3.2 (northwood) that the more i overclock it, it seems it runs cooler, i have it Oc'ed right now to 3.84 and it idles at 17C and under load it never gets above 25C-27C, in games, benchmarks, anything it always runs that cool. Im using aircooling, i have a Thermaltake Spark 7 fan, so nothing fancy. My room temps are in mid 60's, and i have 5 case fans, 3 inlet, 2 exhaust. My only question is, is this a good thing, or could this be a bad temp reading? I stick my hand in a touch the heatsink for the processer and its just as cold as anything.

2. rovtar

rovtar Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D 7950GX2
    your temp. sensors are dead

3. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yeah I think your sensor is probably malfunction also. Try Everest Home Edition or something like that and compare it with your BIOS measurement if that's what you're using. Your temp being at 17C would mean you have cooling that can maintain ambient heat at idle... pretty impressive.. or skeptical I think maybe. I have 42C idle at 5400RPM fan which is kinda loud. You decide...but try another program or a thermal diode if you're motivated. Peace ;) nice overclock

4. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS (512) 750/1875/1000
    Yeah i compared results from my bios hardware monitor and everest, also compared with Asus Probe, and all results come out the same. So either the sensor is shorted or, the temp readings are correct, today it idled a bit higher at 20C but nothing above that, my room during the day stays around 66-68F, so its cool in here, but not liek an iceberg. Also the Spark 7 fan i mentioned, will go all the way to almost 7000 rpm, or just under, and i usually run it full all the time, or at 3/4 or so...dunno maybe i just got lucky.

5. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Yes, definitively your temp sensors are bad.

There is no way to get a P4 3.8ghz at 17ÂșC idle even with watercooling, maybe a very good watercooling system could be the excepetion but no more.

6. tweakboy

tweakboy Banned

GPU:
    ASUS AX800XTPE@550/1215Mhz
    obsessive tweaker

Why do you want it to be 17c ... why not 19c... brother... you obessive tweakin has to stop hehehehh

tc

7. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    I got a northy and they do run cold. At 3.4, i idle at around 26. Load at about 32. While its not as ridiculously low as your temps, but ambient is 26 so i idle at my ambient.