Lucid Virtu MVP

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by Chillin, Feb 10, 2013.

1. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    I tried a few times but it didn't work directly from lucid. If i don't install the one from gigabyte first and the latest from lucid wont activate. But I liked this stuff so much that I bought the Pro version of the latest 2.0 release (only $35 instead of $90 if you have a previous license or if it came with your mobo). No worries about activations and it seems to be updated more often.

@-Tj- I don't think this software will let you enable features not present on your video card as its what does all the work

2. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    @ Thatguy,

Re z87

I see that MSI with their gaming boards are including Virtu MVP 2.0 on the spec pages and descriptions on the website.
    Even the MSI board Hilbert reviewed had the Lucid sticker on it.

eVGA on their z87 overview page also have the virtu 2.0 logo.

Still could just be to indicate compatibility, not that a license included. In fact I cant see how they can include it with a mobo, as even those risk takers who buy this software only get a year at a time.
    With the extortionate price of it, if it was included with a mobo then that would be a good deal.

I may do the discount upgrade z77 users can get, but hate its only a year at a time.
    What happens next yr ? I still get discount or have to pay full price ??

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's the question I had about MVP2, since it is supposedly retail only. It may be that with the motherboard you get 1 year free, then you have to pay for it? It's pure guesswork at the moment until someone can confirm it. It is a lot of money to pay for the hope that it will work with a particular game, especially if there is no profile for it and you have to add it yourself.

4. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Nope MVP2 is only a 30 day trial for everyone. You can however get it as a $35 upgrade from the original version that shipped with your mobo. Again you have to keep the private data and then install mvp2 for it to pick you up as being eligible. I'll worry about it again in a year i guess

Edit- Also for anyone with a ud3h I could not get it to activate with the latest beta bios (f19e). Once I went back to the official f18 all is well. Just a heads if you run in to a similar issue

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Ah ok! Well, even if you get it cheap at $35/year, and you keep your computer for 2.5 years, that is $105. The price could go up, such that the second and third year you have to pay $55 (hypothetically), which would mean $145.

Now, you have to figure out whether it is worth that $105 (or potentially much more), or whether that $105 is better put towards a better graphics card, RAM, or combination thereof.

6. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    You don't really have to upgrade, the older version works just as well from what i could tell. Other than looks I really don't see the difference tbh. I'll see how each one is updated and the price of mvp2 in a year and decide if i want to go back to the older one or pay again

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you had a z87 board, does MVP1 (the OEM one) work as OEM? Even though the boards are stickered as MVP2 as mentioned earlier? It is a useful thing, just not to the extent of a bare minimum of $35 a year.

I have an Asmedia chip on my motherboard for extra SATA3 ports, would it be worth me paying an extra fee on a yearly basis to use them? Same goes with the Realtek audio, or the LAN chip. Doesn't Lucid MVP require a chip on the board, and if so, isn't it practically the same thing as Realtek, LAN, Asmedia, Etron etc?

If on Z87 boards it is purely software, it does mean that other companies or even opensource could do something similar (if not the same).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yup all interesting points and no real answers at mo.

All probably hold off buying the 2.0 upgrade as long as version 1 still works.
    Version 1 is a couple of updates behind 2.0 now which is worrying.

Oh of topic but @ kakarot the latest beta for ud3h is f19j and has been for a while.
    You get them from gigabyte forum on *********.
    Again for me Virtu activated no worries for me with this bios.
    I DONT recommend it though as it often forgets settings, but I need it though as its got full EFI support for EFI booting and Win8.
    F18 doesn't have the EFI sata driver.

9. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Thanks, I did notice that the windows 8 OS option was missing when I downgraded but forgetting settings seems like it would suck to deal with. Also found that my PC would not post if I disabled full screen logo on f19e:bang: Wanna guess how many times i cleared the cmos to figure that one out? Nice board that runs and oc's well but wtf gigabyte

Edit- Those dirty bastards. I installed the F19j bios and now MVP2 is asking me to reactivate:3eyes: I hope their support is good cause it looks like ill be using up my 4 activations quickly..

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    VirtuMVP does not require any physical hardware to work. You're thinking of Hydra. VirtuMVP is solely software based. Hydra required hardware + software. VirtuMVP only requires supported discrete and dedicated GPUs be present. Hydra required 2 supported dedicated graphics cards, a Hydra chip on the motherboard and the Hydra software.

11. kache

kache Guest

GPU:
    2x r9 290 crossfire
    Wait, WHAT? 50$ A YEAR?:3eyes:

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yep....

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I used it for a while, hit and miss with games. It did increase FPS quite a bit in some games but others wont even run, so it forces you to use profiles to turn it off for certain games but frankly I found the entire thing a pain and stopped bothering with it. My FPS is just fine in most every game I own anyway.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    HyperFormance is very hit or miss... I haven't had any issues with Virtual V-Sync though.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah, not really worth it, better to put that money towards better components.

Would be interesting if an opensource solution was made that is based around the same principle (utilising the onboard and discrete cards). It's kind of useless at the moment having onboard GPU since you have a discrete card.

I believe when AMD finally go to their fully heterogeneous architecture that the AMD onboard graphics could mix with any discrete AMD card of that generation (say, HD10xxx or whatever they'll called them after HD9000).

16. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    $89.99 per yr yes for full functionality

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yep. For the cost of a mid-range graphics card and the $90 for a subscription for VirtuMVP....you could buy a faster graphics card. If you only upgrade every other generation, that extra $180 could possibly step you up to a high-end graphics card depending on what you originally intended to buy.

If I had to pay anything for VirtuMVP....I wouldn't have it at all. It's just not worth any additional cost to me.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You are also 'guaranteed' (within the normal bounds of graphics cards) that a higher end card will give you better performance than a mid end card, unlike VirtuMVP that may or may not work with different applications.

19. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    From what I've seen Vsync suffers from the same drawbacks no matter what card you use, its just the way it is. Sure a better card will be able to hold 60+fps at all times and alleviate most vsync lag however that is def not always the case no matter how powerful the card is. This stuff really works. Obviously don't go in to it expecting an fps boost but rather to erase all vsync lag, which in my testing it does. It's much better than even using D3DOverrider to force TB or even using no vsync at all. If it came with your motherboard give it a shot, really nothing to lose and you don't have to pay to upgrade (which is only $35 btw)

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    No wait guys, just use Razer's Gamebooster instead. lol