LPX 2x16 dual rank upgrade 4x ? 9700F

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Klemc, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Hie,

i had the idea to buy 2x16 LPX memory sticks (exact same, half price as of 2020) again, but i don't understand about ranks and channels :

x2 2rank is equal to x4 1rank sticks !?

At what level it does a difference, my CPU is F (no O/C, no igpu)...

If i add x2 2rank sticks to the actual same (total 4x 2rank), where the downside is in case of non O/C ?..

I enable XMP I in motherboard (i think XMP II is non-verified timings, advantageous for O/C), with the CPU F series (non-K), is there something that is bad to have 4x 2 rank, and should i only add 2 more sticks if all four were single ranked ?

Thanks a lot.

2. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  3. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
  4. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Yes.. i'll read it right now...

... there is some talks bout ranks and number of sticks, MB controller... that's why i ask.

If f my nonO/C-ableCPU won't take disavantages of x4 sticks, i'll buy 2 two same new.

5. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    BUMP :p

386SX likes this.
  6. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Ok, let's say your board has two channels to use (dual channel, 2 channels get used in parallel, doubling bandwidth) and 4 DIMM slots in total. Channel A consists of DIMM slots 1 and 2 and channel B has slot 1 and 2 (in total: A_1, A_2, B_1 and B_2).
    If you then put single rank DIMMs in slot A_1 and A_2, you just populate one channel with 2x DIMM single rank, so in theory this would be the same as using 1 stick of dual rank memory. You would still get single channel bandwidth like if using one stick, as you only populated one channel in total.
    You can stick those DIMMs in A_1 and B_1 (or _2, depends on board) to get a dual channel setup with single rank sticks.

If you would do the first setup with dual rank memory, that will "double" the ranks and could be compared to quad rank memory sticks, still single channel.
    Doing the second example with dual rank sticks will get you a dual rank dual channel setup.

I haven't compared single and dual rank against each other yet. Ryzen 1st gen liked single rank and single rank seems to OC better, but that seems irrelevant here. :)

As the article said server RAM (at least big sizes) are dual or even quad rank memory, but that is only because of their size (say 64GB in a single stick) and isn't any sign of quality or performance.

Edit: Above I said "in theory" because your memory controller will have more work managing 2 sticks than 1.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  7. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Well thanks...

i looked in my MB manual and found some news, 64gb max (4x16gb sticks is max charge), if 4x it needs to be cooled, 2666mhz could work at lesser than advertised freq. on 8th gen 6 core and after.

It's not a verry good idea to push the MB to his limits (i thinked it was 128gb max), i have 32gb for now and think will keep it forever, thanks again.

//

CRAP,

the ASUS's page says 128gb, but the manual tells 64, so i could probably add the two sticks, the MB can handle 128 (i'll have 64, it's not max charge finally, but half).
    I have an AIO, all my hardware is not hot at all, btw LPX Veageance have heatsinks !

Mémoire 4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4
    https://www.asus.com/fr/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-z390m-plus/techspec/

Page 6 :
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...90M-PLUS_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?model=PRIME Z390M-PLUS

What should i do ? If you were me ? RAM is cheap (compared to first ibuyed) !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  8. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    ALLRight 386SX, after better reading page 2 of your lnk, ican tell it's not a bad idea afterall... i'll grab two more 2r sticks ,)

9. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    Based on my hardware, a non-O/Cable CPU aka i7 9700F on a z390 motherboard that handles 4133mhz (O/C mode) sticks max, from standard 2666 models (non-O/C mode) sticks.
    By O/C RAM, Asus means XMP enabled ! Right ? Or all over 2666 sticks are considered O/C ?

Is the CPU a limit to the RAM i should put in the MB ?
    I mean, not over 2666mhz !? Or can i put higher freq. memory sticks and all work together at full speed (non-o/c CPU + high freq RAM) ?..

Well, i don't understand a thing again.

//

EDIT:

i think that's out of range, looking at QVL, only higher freq. that are OKay for 4x stick are Dominator (pricy thingies), so better for my case to keep the idea to put two more 2666 16gb r2 sticks... nothing higher.

... or could it help for perf, i have a 4070-ti !!!!!!!

END

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  10. Klemc

Klemc Master Guru

GPU:
    4070-ti ARGB - PNY
    I refused the Amazon package... bc not sure if i want to add this stuff (and bc price dropped by 10% too, just after i payed).

I have 2x 16gb and the future of games is not what i will be interested in, i think it's enouhg.