Lower consistent scores compared to last week

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by LifeForce, Jan 11, 2008.

1. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Are there any possible reasons for why my 3dmark scores have been lowering since last week?

Last week I had formatted my drive and basically updated my drivers and whatever needed to be updated. This is the typical time I usually run my benchmarks. So basically, there was my OS, firefox and 3dmark last week and now I have WoW, Painkiller, and a bunch of source games.

I HAVE defragmented.

I remember something similar happening on my last pc.

Is my video card degrading, or can something else be attributed to this?

I mean I don't know if its a drop worth being concerned about. But I could take the test last week 6 times in a row and get 21410-21460.

This week and today, I got a high of 21410 and a low of 12345. With alot being in the mid 300s.

This is with SLI on. In single card mode, a similar marginal drop is also noticed.

Do fuller harddrives = lower scores? My free ram looks the same as last week. I do have alot more desktop icons, but only two rows at 1680x1050.

I just find it really odd. Is it gonna keep dropping as I add stuff?

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    run stuff like adaware,delete temps files and keep every thing off your start up.
    stuff just being a few degrees hotter will throw things off
    and really 100 points is common deviation for scores.
    and if you dont really bring anything new to your rig like bigger cpu or like push your card clocks higher with a vmod or something really all you can do is fine tune BUT...dont fix whats not broke

3. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Really? 100 points?

I mean, up until last week all I had on the drive was one game and 3dmark, so I guess its possible because ive installed new things, something is taking up it a bit.

Say the drop in score is like going from 57.5 fps on one test to 57.1 fps. In terms of real games and gaming, would that account to an actual loss of a real frame, or nothing at all, or even more?

4. ncc-1709

ncc-1709 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 8800GTX
    crikey, some of my benches differ by a few thousand between runs. having it only vairy by a couple hundred would be a dream

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i'd have to say in games it matters diddly squat.
    you are alright man dont worry