Low usage for my GTX 460,whyyyyy?????

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by vingji, Sep 16, 2011.

1. vingji

vingji Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1Gb ram DDR5
    Hello.

I Have an GTX 460 1Gb of Point of View. I have noticed that the card in 90% of the games it works with 30-40% of GPU Usage. Since now only with ASS Creed Brotherhood and DIRT 3 it works with 100% of GPU power, with all other games it wont. Crysis 2 get 30% and at high settings i get about 35-40fps, if it works at 100% GPU a think it will perform better, or not????

I have tried to put maximum power on driver panel, but nothing changed, i oveclok it and it doesn,t change again.

Please any suggestion??????

2. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Hahahaha had that problem for months, fixed it by switching to HD6850 ... Anyway is it the i5 CPU that you are running with the card or some other CPU, if so please specify ! And we'll go from there !

3. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    It all depends on the game and the resolution you are playing at.Usually on higher resolutions ex.1920x1200 and higher most games are gpu bound meaning you will have a higher gpu usage and on lower resolutions they become more cpu bound which will affect your gpu usage and will be much lower as the cpu is working more than the gpu but that's not the case with all games some titles use heavily both cpu and gpu.As slick3 said let us first know what cpu you are using for the GTX460.:)

4. Boulard83

Boulard83 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb Crucial ballistix
    +1 for knowing whats the rest of the rig.

Then we can help :)

5. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    OMG Kens30 said "Slick3" ... hihihihihi :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Anyway lets all hold hands and sing while Vingji reads our response and reply back !!!

6. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Resolution and settings plays a big factor here. Settings?

7. vingji

vingji Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1Gb ram DDR5
    I have intel E5300 @ 3.4ghz,
    4gb ram DDR2 @ 870mhz
    320 gb Seagate HDD
    Asus g41 chipset
    Corsair PSU CX500W

Sorry for the late answer, i can say that i dont have stability problems even when i push the card to 900mhz if i set the fan at 100%, and it stays below 65 degrees with the 2 games that uses 100% of the gpu, and it dont pases 55degrees with all other games.
    I have tried changing all settengis, but its the same problem. but the problem is that why only few games does that and how can i make the card to give 100% in all games.

I have tried even with all deafault settings of my PC (without overclock) but still the same

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ok, so now we are at the part when we ask you
    what are the games you have problems with,
    which games run great,
    what fps you're getting, what resolution and settings you play at,
    vsync on/off,
    what is your CPU usage in those games etc etc...

9. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    The CPU is your problem ... your CPU is too slow for your GPU. The GTX400 and even 500 series needs a quad or more core to work properly. I used to own a Tri Core and a GTX 460 and the card had rubbish usage in almost every game, but then i upgraded to a Quad Core and all games ran butter smooth. The games that you have 100% usage in requires more GPU power than CPU power ... thus the good GPU usage. Other games which requires more CPU power, is not using so much of your GPU because it's being bottlenecked (thus the lesser GPU usage) because your CPU is not powerful enough to satisfy the game's CPU needs so to speak. Unless you have a CPU that's fast enough to process all the information that .... needs processing, your GPU is gonna be held back !

Honestly i find it surprising that you are getting 100% in Assassin's Creed since that game is a mess when it comes to optimization ... you're probably at the very beginning of the game where there's talks in between 2 people or so :nerd: ... then i wouldn't be surprised if you have 100% GPU usage. What's your GPU usage in the middle of the city?

So yeah, you gotta upgrade that beast CPU to something better to see a change in GPU usage. Either that or switch to a HD6850. I saw higher, not perfect ... GPU usage when i switched to the Radeon while still using my sh!+ty Tri-Core, but that's not worth it because you will have to upgrade that CPU sooner or later.

10. vingji

vingji Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1Gb ram DDR5
    -Ass Creed brotherhood - 1440x900 8xAA all settings maxout- above 50 fps
    -DIRT 3 - 1440x900 4xMsamplingAA all settings VeryHigh. - above 50 fps
    this 2 games uses almost all time 100% GPU,

-Crysis 2
    -Test drive Unlimited 2
    -FEAR 3
    -Homefront
    -Shift 2
    -DeusEx Human revolution
    -FarCry 2
    -Dead Rising 2
    These games can hardly use 45% of the gpu and uses CPU above 60%. Have tried all kind of Konfigurations but it doesnt work, i must say that i am happy with the fps after all, but the point is that if, for example CRYSIS 2 use at 100% my GPU i can play it with all eyecandy and dont have to put some things down. The same thing with other games, i thing that if i can make the card go 100% with these games, i can play them maxout at the same fps that i am playing them now (with somethings shutdown), if i can get to 40fps and above i will be very happy, but to get that i have to shutdown some features in the game settings.

11. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    weak CPU

12. vingji

vingji Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1Gb ram DDR5
    But if it is the CPU, why it doesnt change a thing even when it is at stock speed of 2.6ghz and remains the same as you go further.

Thanks any way fellas i think i have to change all my Pc then. (ps. if i can sell this one :D)

13. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    CPU frequency is hardly a determining factor. That CPU @ 4GHz wouldn't even do you good. You just simply need a faster processor not higher clocks.

14. vingji

vingji Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1Gb ram DDR5
    Ok thanks.

I let you know if anything changes.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Your CPU at 4 would help you out a lot. I have an e8400 at 4 with. A 295 in it. Much stronger than a 460. Quad core optimized game will still struggle badly but everything but CPU limited games will run okay

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Need faster processor. Maybe a cheap i3-2130 or something would be a huge upgrade

17. loop29

loop29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    I´m in the same spot as you vingji. My GTX 460 OC is hardly stressed in games, I have the same behaviour in Crysis 2 and Shift 2.
    Only if I crank it up with all the bells and whistles in games it will raise the GPU usage a bit, but fps are suffering too.
    So I won´t upgrade to a quad on Socket 775 but looking at Socket 1155 upgrade in the near future, maybe beginning of next year when prices have dropped a bit after christmas. I always shoot for the midrange performance parts when new stuff has arrived so it doesn´t cost me premium.
    I´m still on 1280x1024 so I´ll prolly upgrade my monitor first to something more convenient. :nerd:
    And plugging in my old GTS 8800 for a physx PPU didn´t helped in any case, just raised the heat by a good margin since the cards are so close together and the GTX doesn´t have a cooler that blows air out of the case on the slots.
    It just has 2 big fans which then are pretty much blocked by the GTS 8800, utter fail lol.

Best wishes

18. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090 G9 240Hz
    1080p res will help gpu usage an fast cpu

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    ummmm...higher clocks = faster.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Yes but it generally doesnt help alot with slow architecture.