'Low' temps Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming OC 8G

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by trgz, Dec 8, 2019.

1. trgz

trgz Guest

GPU:
    gainward GTX 970 Phantom
    Just upgraded my old GTX 970 to a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming OC 8G (GV-N206S-GAMING OC-8GC) but try as I can I just cannot get it to run higher than 70C - Hitman2, Project Cars 2, Doom all virtually maxxed out at 1080* to get at least 60fps, even tried Furmark and a demo of 3dmark but it just doesn't seem to get it as hot as others have reported. The fan never kicks in but I can test the fan with the Aorus software - it works and the card temp drops.
    Now I appreciate that this is kind of a good thing but I do wonder if it's being throttled in some way and that I could see higher FPSs if it were allowed to get warmer. Any thoughts please?
    FYI new mobo with i5-9600k and 16GB RAm if that's of any use. Fractal Design (R2 I think) case - 4 of 5 fans cooling (2 in, 2 out)
    Oh, and it's currently idling at 44C as I type.

*(also stuck with HDMI on my GSync monitor, ie 60Hz, until a new size DisplayPort lead comes so I've unlocked v-sync, but I'd normally look to cap fps at 120-144Hz)

Update: Well this is peculiar - I've been playing in VR and for now hooked up a 1680x1050 monitor, due to my lead shortage, and now in Furmark I see 72C and about 1900rpm. I think I may need to play around...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  2. AndreiCE

AndreiCE Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    what are your frequencies
    I have a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER WINDFORCE OC 8G, it reaches +83 "C and resets frequencies to 1770-1830

3. trgz

trgz Guest

GPU:
    gainward GTX 970 Phantom
    Running it 'stock' at the moment and a quick check in Hitman 2 and I see 1875 GPU clock, 71C and 1885rpm fan speed and 70+ fps in game
    I guess the card has a lot of 'headroom' that can be opened up (I've not fiddled with any Aorus or Nvidia settings as yet)

4. AndreiCE

AndreiCE Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Yes, as for overclocking, everything is fine, I tried purely out of interest, added 50 MHz for the core and 515 for memory everything is fine, but I had a temperature of +85 "C. So I use only stock values. But I think that 60-80 MHz for the core and 600-900 MHz is possible.I would find how to cool it at least by 5-10 degrees.

trgz likes this.