1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low GPU usage , low fps in some games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SittingInMyRoom, Feb 17, 2019.

1. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    Hey, playing cs:go, gta 5 i get only about 60-70% gpu usage, sometimes it goes up to 99 and than the fps is good but most of the time its not, in gta 5 i get 99% usage only when i turn on msaa and than the fps is stable but only about 25 (when it goes to 99% its 40 and than drops to 17 vuz of the low usage), temps are really low, i am playing on high performance p plan, nvidia control panel both options maximum performance as for the gpu and ram slot... I don't use any overclocking tools or so, bios settings are as they need to be, the i7-2630qm is not bottlenecking my gpu , and the charger is 30W stronger than its original one so even the psu is not the problem, windows is up to date as for the nvidia gpu i use the the older one 390.65 because i cant play cs go on the newest one, v-sync is off in nv cp and in-game. Tried setting the priority to high but nothing..
    Searching for few days already but cant find any solutions.
    Help?
    EDIT: Euro Truck simulator 2, SA:MP don't have this problem and they use 100% gpu.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Not necessarily.

In 100% ideal situation, correct. But often you'll see games not utilising either the GPU and CPU to anywhere near their full potential.

3. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    His CPU should not bottleneck a mobile GT 540M

4. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    their both ancient mobile chips so god knows, to be honest. Looking at the CPU specs, it seems a lot more capable than the GPU. But again, they're both old and mobile chips so it's difficult to tell.

Geryboy likes this.
  5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    For old games, I often use Process Lasso to change the CPU affinity to not use Core 0 (CPU 0/1 if HyperT), since they often only use 1 or 2 cores only, and hammer Core 0 along with the OS and driver. This way the game gets their own Core, and OS and drivers can hammer Core 0 to their hearts' content.

(That's right, NWN2, I am looking at you!)

6. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    The CPU sits at 1.0ghz (all cores) 30% (all too) most of the time, and i have not seen one core go to 100% they all go about the same percentage use all the time

7. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    Here is something from the bottlenecker site:

Average bottleneck percentage: 100%
    Core i7-2630QM (Clock speed at 100%) with GeForce GT 540M (Clock speed at 130%) x4 will produce 100% of bottleneck.

So the cpu is 100% not the problem

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    same site says my i7-7700HQ is a 12% bottleneck for a GTX1070. :/ (Probably not doing a GTX1070M stats)

9. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    My old workbook Dell XPS 15 has the same specs. CPU 4c/8t is still powerful enough but GPU is meh by todays standards. 3DMark agrees so by getting me a Steam achievement for that :p
    Never noticed that behavior you're describing. Are you sure the replaced power adapter is fine? Could be it's draining faster than it's getting power from the wall. That would be very alibaba o_O

EDIT: A bad power adapter would probably cause changing clock speeds. And using a low-rated adapter out of specs would trigger showing you a message about that, I remember. And then it would still run on wall power but not charge at the same time.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Geryboy likes this.
  10. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    Fujitsu limited ADP 150WB B , also tried it while the battery was in and it was charging my phones battery over usb 3.0 had no performance difference when i remove the battery . Heared its a German company but i dont know, tbh on battery on longer battery life (down right corner, you know what i mean) the fps is almost the same
    BUT: everything possible is at high performance, was trying to overload it but its still charging

11. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    My laptop needs 19v , 120w (6.32a) this one is 19v, 7.89a
    but why then when i turn msaa x2 on it goes to 100% does not really drop and the fps is stable most of the time

12. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Ruled out the changed hardware then. The games you mentioned are almost as old as the system, so I don't expect specific issues with these.
    (EDIT: Supposing you already looked into that as well)

My current workbook i7 6500K (I think?) gets about equal CPU performance I think. But that's only 2 low-power cores with HT (but still i7... damn marketing) instead of 4 with HT at lower clocks.

I'd look into power settings (checked), NVidia performance settings (global and/or per-app), but first into optimized settings for named games (as other games seem to run properly). You could also try Afterburner, but I have never tried it on my old XPS and it's not really supported on notebooks anyway I think.

13. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    Yeah i checked the settings its all at perfer maximum performance for each game
    I do not really want to overclock it

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    EDIT: NVM, you're right:

Your GPU is too weak for this processor.
    Core i7-2630QM (Clock speed at 100%) with GeForce GT 540M (Clock speed at 100%) x1 will produce 100% of bottleneck.
    Everything over 10% is considered as bottleneck. We recommend you to replace GeForce GT 540M with GeForce GTX 580

However I'm not sure the calculator indicates the most informative result this way. I think it should rather calculate bottleneck wrt. CPU than GPU (is CPU bottlenecking the GPU, not vice versa).

Though when I tried to match different GPUs with my CPU I got increasing bottleneck percentage as I chose stronger GPUs so I guess it works both ways.

EDIT 2: Yep:
    Your processor is too weak for this GPU.
    Athlon 5350 APU (Clock speed at 100%) with GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (Clock speed at 100%) x1 will produce 100% of bottleneck. Everything over 10% is considered as bottleneck. We recommend you to replace Athlon 5350 APU with Core i7-7820X

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  15. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    So what should i do next? just use msaa? Does somebody know maybe this chargers power is fake?

16. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Is the GPU at least running at full clock speed when it's usage is low in those games?

EDIT: which program are you using for monitoring purposes?
    EDIT2: and how much RAM is installed btw?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  17. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    8GB ram ddr3 1333mhz , using windowss 10 task manager, idk for the clock, i need to install msi afterburner right? But again:with msaa its at 95-100% usage and the fps is stable

18. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Probably not RAM then.
    GPU info in Task Manager doesn't give all needed info for these kind of problems. "Usage is low when experiencing low framerates" is not very clear.
    You don't need to overclock with afterburner, but it can show pretty graphs with all sorts of info that can help investigating. Even though AB is not officially supported on notebooks (but that 'not officially supported' could cause certain graphs and/or values to be empty and things like that).
    You could also try GPU-Z which is probably a lot simpler if you don't know AB.

19. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    Thanks Dude, but i think i will stick to MSAA its playable at 25 fps frack it.
    I forgot, not even the vram is the problem, game settings 1.8gb+ but lower than 1.9 task manager showing 1.6, never saw 1.7 even with msaa x2

20. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    Dude i just installed msi afterburner, what you want to know so you can help me?

21. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    When you open AB, it will show you a 'Detach' button next to the single graph shown; click on it. All graphs will be shown/expanded so you can monitor GPU and memory clock speeds, etc.
    If you only use AB for monitoring purposes, then you could disable it from auto-starting with windows btw.

22. SittingInMyRoom

SittingInMyRoom Member

GPU:
    GT 540M 2GB 128-bit
    So what exact info you need? when you said task manager does not give euough information

23. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    I don't want to possibly derail you OP, but have you tried cleaning the inside thoroughly?
    It's old, and if it was fine before, and if it's never been cleaned on the inside... usually the issue is that simple.