Low GPU usage Dragon Age II

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BigMyke, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    If I have to wait a day or two to get a better driver for Dragon Age 2, and not a buggy one... that's fine. I'm sure nvidia is working on it. I'm playing on DX11 high for now and all I can think about is how much I'm enjoying the game.

When I can run it smooth on very high all the better. :)

2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Indeed the game runs smoother on high settings,but iMO the game is not worth all that trouble, it doesn't match it's predecessor...

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Holy f**k some of you are impatient and this talk of going to AMD as if it's some sort of 'solution' is laughable.

This happens way more frequently with AMD drivers. It's actually fairly rare that Nvidia drops the ball with regards to new releases but, they do seem to have dropped it with regards to Dragon Age 2.

I'm sure it will be fixed in fairly short order.

On a side note, DA2 is less than impressive IMHO, it plays like a console fighter :(

4. Teacan

Teacan New Member

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 460 GTX 1GB
    It hadn't even occurred to me I'd see anything below 30 fps in DA2... I mean, my system is far from top of the line, but it handles all the recent games quite well, and you'd think the likes of Crysis 2 should give you more concern how your rig will perform, but heh - SURPRISE ! To be honest that is more of a kick in the bollox from Bioware/EA for rubbish optimization, rather than Nvidia.

It pains me to scale down the settings, so I'll wait for a fix from either side. Not as eagerly as when I started up the game for the first time though :/

5. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    ATI pays Dragon Age developers extra cash to make game run best on ATI.
    Then people say NVidia dropped the ball?
    The game developers have a QA Department don't they?
    They did their tests and said the game runs great?

6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Well, I'll bite, it may not be Nvidia's fault and I'm not really bothered either way, it's not that great of a game from what I've seen.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  7. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    nvi sponsors games all the time, only occassionally games run crap on nvi. So lets just sit it out and not spend hundreds switching cards only to switch back again :)

8. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Running the game @ 1920x1200 high settings 4x aa dx11 65-80 fps at all times, havnt seen it drop below 60 at any point ever.

Running medium 8x aa dx9 I get 180-400 fps, sometimes goes up to 2500 fps at rendered scenes.

Setting very high kills fps even if I de-enable dof and blurr, so I would say it is the tesselation that kills performance.

SLI gpu usage when on high seems to be 75-85%, so not that great..cpu usage <20%.

/edit

Using 265.90

No tesselation ground bug on high settings and none on very high either.

Also using the high res texture pack.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  9. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    High don't have tesselation, only very high.

Driver 267.31

1920x1080, 4xAA, 16XAF, high res textures, all other settings off.

High

[​IMG]

Very high

[​IMG]

As you can clearly see. Character feet sinks into the ground when tesselation is enabled. Also the performance tanks a lot.

10. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    hmm...i just dropped the settings to high dx 11 and BOOOM!!! FPS went to 38-46.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    well DUH!!!

How did you find that one out Serpico?

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

yes there is no tessellation when using high mode, lol i could use this high mode on my gpu with dx11 path - it allowed me to enable AO, dof was disabled its dx11 only..

13. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    calm down....:biggun: in that particular location(The docks) in the game my fps went from 15FPS on very high all setttings on to 45FPS high no DOF and blurr

14. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    it's Serbicu..

15. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    @ TheHunter
    The ground don't seem to use tesselation but parallax mapping, as on many textures ingame like rocks and almost all ground textures. It's pretty noticeable because when tesselation can be antialiased using MSAA filter, parallax mapping can't. Parallax mapping is heavy, but Nvidia GPUs don't have known problems with it. I think it's more an SSAO problem than anything else.

16. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Yeah the forums are full, on bioware forum, on nvidia official forum, very much people having issues with this game on nvidia cards. I get myself a slow frame rate on a grx470, and all other games i run very smooth. I think Dragon Age 2 is taking advantage on the AMD/ATI cards, and no nvidia cards. I think in a live stream the lead designer on Dragon Age 2, has told us that the game was created "under AMD/ATI support" somethink like that. So i guess we should wait for a nvidia driver to enhance performance under DX11, for fome fix brom BioWare.

17. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Yes that does look abit wierd doesnt it ... ?

I can run the game at very high 4 x aa 16 x af DOF, Ambient and i get 50 - 60 fps but i stutters like crazy even at those frames ...

If i turn of DOF, Ambient it still stutters like crazy at 70 - 80 FPS ...

I think the tesselation is the main problem here ...

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Actually Paralax mapping is the cheapest real-time technique for displacement mapping. :)
    I dunno whether road pavement, ground and rocks are tessellated, displaced or both, but it sure doesn't look impressive visually. Matter of fact flickering gets more noticeable.

Also I think that at Very High higher SSAO mode kicks in, because it produces some subtle and seemingly out of place shadows.

So running DA2 at Very High IMHO besides being heavily fps taxed, is questionable even Image Quality wise.

19. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    It can be cheap, it's still heavy on our cards when largely used.
    The game is not impressive in any way.
    It's only buggy - for now - on Nvidia cards, and it runs pretty good on AMD ones.

We need to wait for a fix, but the game is crap compared to DAO.. So even if it's never fixed it's not a big deal.

20. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Also forget framerate for a second but anyone else notice even maxed on DX11 this game doesn't look nearly as good as Origins!

The reviews say the graphics are better but I can only imagine that's a console thing. Maxed with good level of AA origins looked so nice... this looks pretty ordinary bar a bumpy pavement!