Low GPU usage Dragon Age II

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BigMyke, Mar 8, 2011.

1. grooveriding

grooveriding New Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 Tri-SLI
  2. the_mts

the_mts New Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I'm using 267.26 on my configuration (560 Ti SLI) and I get very good performance in the actual game, however during dialogue and cut-scenes it seems the GPU usage drops down and the fps takes a hit. Its pretty strange really.

Edit: Okay, the usage seems to be all over the place, but I'm definately getting smoother fps during actual gameplay and less fps during dialogue and cut-scenes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    So NVidia is to blame for Dragon Age 2 not running well on NVidia cards?
    The game developer probably accepted some money from ATI to work with them close so this would happen. Blame the developers who created the game. They have a quality control department who should have tested the game on different system types.

4. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    I was curious about this DA2 so I installed the demo to try it out.
    Set to Extra High Settings and DirectX 11 at 1920 x 1080 and full Anistropic but no AA. Driver 270.32 on Windows 7 64-bit.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    2238, 51089, 30, 57, 43.806

My NVidia Control Panel 3D Settings are set to Extra Textures too.

I found something that helped this demo run better. After I got into a game I went to Task Manager and saw this game was set to run with priority Normal but I found it ran much better if you change the priority to Above Normal or High. Actually I had it on High when I did my benchmarks above. I dunno if any of you tried bumping up the priority or not. I know my fps above were not that great. I wanted to try maxing it out a bit to see what would happen.
    I was getting some really large fps during the cut scenes in the demo.

5. aayman_farzand

aayman_farzand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    The demo has issues with DX11 which Bioware swore will be fixed in the final release. Yet they are all there...minus the texture corruption, that was fixed with the new betas.

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    GPU usage is good for me.This is after playing for about an hr.

[​IMG]

7. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    The game is very CPU bound, and cutscenes aren't smooth on both ATI and Nvidia cards. It was the same on DAO anyway.
    But during gameplay it's constant 60FPS Vsynced on my 6970 and about 50-55 on my 580 Sli on DX11 max details 8xAA with Hi res textures pack.

Interestingly, my C2Q @ 4.6Ghz is less stressed than my i7 975 @ 4.2Ghz on this game. Generally it's about the same or less on the i7.

8. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Using the 167 betas i get about 20 fps in DA2 where as i got silky smooth vsyncd gameplay in Origins at my native 1920x1200.

Thats on DX11, very high, texture pack, all options on/highest with 2xAA, 8xAF.

Very disspointed in its perfomance to say the least... Orgins also looed much better and the enviroments had way more detail and better lighting IMO.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I swear I had 15-20% CPU usage on both cores. Because I was wondering how game was easy on CPU, and DA1 was very CPU heavy.

Then I must have changed something, and now my CPU is at 50-70%.

GPU usage was allways 75-85%.

266.77 Forceware, because I don't think Very High would be usable with ANY drivers, so I'm not installing 270.32.

6 FPS on Very High

33-42 FPS on High, 1920x1080, 4xAA, 16XAF

60 FPS locked without SSAO.

So it's surely AMD's HDAO, and Nvidia's HBAO is not implemented.
    Another FU to us from Bloatware

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Ho-hum... 20 fps on a high-end graphics card when running a console port that hardly looks that much better than the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions bar the higher resolution and textures is extremely disappointing to hear. I know DX11 Very High uses tessellation but wasn't that supposed to be a strength of the GTX 400/500 series cards over their AMD HD 5000/6000 equivalents? If so then what happened?

11. Y1ROK

Y1ROK Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
    Here comes time to sell GeForce and buy Radeon? :3eyes:

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Ironically, I've just come from ditching HD 5870 CFX last November to a single GTX 580, not only because I was fed up of all the multi-GPU issues from using AMD's (in my experience) iffy drivers but also because NVIDIA cards were supposed to be able to handle tessellation much better!!! :bang:

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The game is barely out of the door.
    Switching gfx cards because a driver hasnt been released yet isnt the wisest move.

14. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well, today i got my GTX 480 from leadtek and before that i had like 28-42FPS with my old 5850, and now i have 28FPS with 267.24 driver.It's not much but the game is still very playable...

15. Andypandy1991

Andypandy1991 Master Guru

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    Guys like some games are "Nvidia meant to be played"
    DA2 is probably "AMD meant to be played"
    Dammit and i was going to change to nvidia gtx 590 for 3d da2:mad:

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    sorry no 580gtx is the last fermi, next up is Kepler due sometime in summer or early September.

But yea DA2 is one big coding mess. They dont have a clue about dx11 or nv still sucks with dx11 drivers...

17. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    ha i think the talk of switching cards after the games been out a couple of days is a little mental!!

Drivers and a patch from Bioware should fix the problem... besides from what I've played so far (admittedly only an hour or two past the demo) this is not a game worthy of dropping any extra money on!

18. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    SSAO is the most demanding feature and right now, if I turn it on I lose more than half the performance. The game could be using some special AO that runs better on ATI (HDAO?).
    Also, tesselation in this game is a joke, because when it's on I can clearly see that character feet sinks into the ground.

19. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    imagine the surprise i had, one day before i DA2 got released i got a GTX480, thinking that i will smoke the game in dx11 (knowing how nvidia handles dx11 w/ tessallation)..and when i saw 15-20fps 1680x1050, 8xAA, 16xAF, very high, high res textures, max option..i was like..WTF is this SH!T..
    now i'm forced to play exactly as above but high settings, i get 30fps most of the time..playable, but unacceptable.

c'mon nvidia with a driver, for crying out loud..

20. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Im with you mate, max out crysis 2... cant run DA2 ha