low FPS in WoW anyone?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sykozis, Jun 22, 2009.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Since the release of the 3.1.3 patch, my framerates have completely gone to ****. With the 3.0.9 patch and my 4850, I was able to get 80-120fps@1440x900 with shadows at half and all other settings maxed. I tried the same settings lastnight....20-50fps....WTF happened? Is my GTX275 going to sleep when WoW loads???? Is my processor refusing to clock up??? Or did Blizzard just completely screw the pooch with the last 4 patches???

2. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    The game is poorly optimized....

Im having fps drops and stuttering too even on my ssd vertex which has zero seek times :S

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    ...... You can always check if your CPU is clocking up or not. Just open up something like CPU-Z while you have WoW running. Or you could just disable the underclocking in the BIOS.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Does SLI actually work in WoW now? Read a post on the Blizzard forums saying it did.

So, the patches really are making things worse?

5. Tenma

Tenma Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT SC @ 680/1700/2020
    They added new textures and new shadows in the game. Minimize your shadows and you should be fine. Other than that, the game has become heavily reliant on your CPU.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The game has always been heavily CPU dependent. Blizzard admitted to that a few years ago. I have shadows turned off and still get low FPS.

7. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    lower shadows really.
    altough dont expect high fps from wow tbh except in area's where it aint bussy.
    getting 60 fps minimum in dalaran dream on never going be patched ;p.
    what does help wow fps tough is overclocking cpu especialy if it running stock.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm getting 20-50fps in Nagrand....and as far as I can tell, I'm the only one there at the times I'm on. I've got shadows turned completely off...running at 2.83ghz, which is stock for my Q9550. Just got done running IBT@high stress at 3.1ghz...will trying for 3.2ghz tomorrow. If it passes IBT@high stress at 3.2ghz...I'll give WoW at shot at that clock.

9. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    pretty normal for that area getting about the same.

10. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    SLI did work for me, great, but when i swapped to the 185 drivers, or the 3.1 patch i have no idea which but now SLI does not work for me.

sometimes i do get frame drops, but it usually stays around 40FPS for me... useto stay at 60 all the time(vsync).

i guess they did screw something up.

my laptop has no FPS changes @ lowest settings... :p

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    my 4850 was getting 80-120fps in Nagrand with the 3.0.9 patch (last time I played)...I figured my GTX275 should get at least that now (first time I've played since the 3.0.9 patch was current). I gave it a shot to reach 3.2ghz...can't seem to do it tonight. I'll give it a shot again tomorrow night. Keeps erroring out of IBT during run 2.

12. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    well, WoW isnt the greatest game to test graphics cards, you will see a better gain in other games...

13. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    might be ur driver instead

14. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

The game is buggy.
    This is obvious. There's a long thread about it:
    http://forums.wo w-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=9520942749&sid=1&pageNo=1
    Edit: why the **** does the link keep getting censored?
    Remove the space from the link to go there.

Blizzard are denying the issue as usual, and they locked the thread because they don't know how to fix what they had botched up.

15. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I run WOW @ 1920x1200 SLI 16x AA(forced threw the drivers and 16xAF(forced threw drivers)
    I keep Vsync on, screan tearing is horible in WOW for me.
    SLI is not supported by WOW, but does seam to be working , if you turn the indicators on, but I cant realy tell that I gain any thing.

16. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Low FPS in WoW really isn't anything new. Blizzard really broke the graphic engine when they released Wrath...

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Seems they've done worse with the more recent patches than they did the the WotLK release....at least at that point I was still getting 200+ FPS. I've gone from 80-120 down to 20-50 just since patch 3.0.9...the last 4 patches completely destroyed my framerates.

18. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Blizzard is trying to pack too much into an extremely outdated engine. It's just like what happens when you put a ton of high poly and high resolution textures in HL1/CS, the graphic engine starts to break.

The engine behind WoW was not built to handle all the coding, detail, and scripts that it's running nowadays. There may be a patch that'll "fix" it to an extent, but it'll never run anywhere near as good as it used to.

I'm going to pretend that I'm a GM again and recommend you reset your UI ;)

19. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    By any chance are you using the 190.15 beta drivers?

The reason I ask is that with these drivers I've actually seen my card downclock to 2D power saving mode whilst in the middle of gaming. However this was during games such as WC3 and Soldier Front. But none the less it did happen. If you are using these drivers, that's the first thing I would check.

20. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I get 40+ fps in dalaran :S on a three year old card :S Completely maxed out 8xAA shadows on max etc oh and I have ambient occlusion on