low 3dmark Firestrike score for my GTX1080?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by overmind87, Jun 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. overmind87

overmind87 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Hey all,

First time poster here, but long time PC gamer. I recently upgraded to a founder's edition gtx 1080 from a 780 classified I got almost 3 years ago. Main reason was that I'm looking to get a VR headset soon and I saw that the new cards have optimizations aimed at VR gaming.

Anyway, after reading the review here and seeing the amazing Firestrike score the 1080 got compared to my 780, I decided it was time for an upgrade. After installing the card and running Firestrike on my PC, I was dissapointed to see that I only got about 15k, a significant drop from the 19k in the review. After upgrading drivers, setting everything to default in the nvidia control pannel and making sure nothing else was running, I tried again. Same score.

Then I looked at the individual scores of the test. My graphics test score was about 1-2k points lower, but the physics and combined scores were much lower, at about 8k versus 21k in the review. Does that mean that my CPU is bottlenecking my card?

I'm running an i5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 GHz, so I didn't think CPU performance would be an issue. But then again, I got most of my PC's components with my 780, about 3 years ago, so they could also be due for an upgrade. I also have 16GB of DDR3-2400 RAM and an 840 EVO SSD, if that has any relevance.

If anyone can point out what could be handicapping my system, I'd greatly appreciate it!

2. VirtualMirage

VirtualMirage Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
    Two things to check:

Is V-sync turned on? If so, that could be your problem as it will cap your frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate.

Secondly, do you have a G-sync capable monitor? If so, then this too will cap your frame rate to the refresh rate of your monitor even if V-sync is off.

You have to make sure that both V-sync and G-sync are turned off if you want to achieve the highest benchmark score possible on your machine. I ran into the same issue with my GTX 1080 last week. V-sync was off for Firestrike, by default I believe, but I have a G-sync monitor and G-sync was enabled. With this turned on, my scores were not much better than what you would get with a GTX 970. Turned off, my score skyrocketed.

If this isn't your issue, then off the top of my head I am not sure what it could be.

3. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    that's because reviewers use something absurd like 5960X, which inflates 3dmark scores because of physics test. actual games don't benefit from 5960X as much as 3dmark. so benchmark some games you play and see if you got good performance improvement.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its cpu physics thing.. Don't worry about it, although i7 4790K would be a little more lasting by heavy multi threaded games..

What is your gpu score?
    You should compare only that score to see what's going on.:nerd:

5. VirtualMirage

VirtualMirage Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
    Check again. Are you using a monitor with a refresh rate greater than 60hz?

When I ran Firestrike on my system with my GTX 1080 and Asus ROG PG27AQ with G-sync on, my framerate in the benchmark capped at 60fps. My overall score with G-sync on was 12,844 while my overall score with G-sync off was 17,984. The graphics only score with G-sync on was 13,786 (test 1 at 59.94 fps and test 2 at 59.94 fps) while with G-sync off it was 23,151 (test 1 112.24 fps and test 2 at 91.24 fps).

G-Sync On:
    [​IMG]

G-Sync Off:
    [​IMG]

6. overmind87

overmind87 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Unfortunately, vsynch wasn't the issue, since I made sure I turned it off before I ran the benchmarks. My score was 11684 with it on, so well below what I posted earlier, but that's to be expected. I went and re-ran all the benchmarks anyway to get the numbers for comparison with the review. Here are the results:

Review card---My card

Firestrike............Firestrike extreme..........Firestrike ultra

Score
    19370---15447.......9834---8759................5142---4789

Graphics
    21905---20724.......10293---9989..............5020---4892

Physics
    21082---8879.........21166---8846..............21116---8770

Combined
    9736---8581...........4601---4517...............2636---2605

So as you can see, the biggest difference is when it comes to the physics scores. What really bothers me though is that there is a difference at all in the graphics scores. Since the two cards are both founders edition, so they should ideally perform the same, even if the difference is not that big.

7. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    They were using a 5960X @ 4.4GHz (8 cores with HT) for the review, so yeah, you can't even expect your 4 cores no HT i5 to keep up when it comes to physics score (and combined on normal test).

Also keep in mind they aren't using this hardware in a closed tower as you most likely do. The GTX1080 founders edition is already known to throttle pretty quick when the temperature rises so an open air test bench will clearly help this card to stay longer at high clocks. Add the silicon lottery to the mix and BOOM, your scores are exactly as they should be.

8. VirtualMirage

VirtualMirage Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
    Sorry, looking at your original comment again I do see other factors as to why your score is lower. Originally, I was just thinking of the lower graphics score which could be attributed to v-sync/g-sync.

As others have mentioned, the biggest difference between your machine and theirs is the CPU. While clock speed appears to be the same based on your description, they are using a CPU with an updated architecture along with having 4 more cores plus hyperthreading. This is really going to help boost their numbers when it comes to the Physics score (which is heavy CPU).

Another thing mentioned is temperature and hardware quality. Since the GPU doesn't stay at a fixed clocked and how high it boosts is based on multiple factors (bin quality, temp, voltage, etc.), it makes it that much harder to compare results from one machine to the next. Both could be configured identically but one will hold a boost of 1830 MHz while the other only gets up to 1750 MHz.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially with something like Firestrike. Have you tried comparing your numbers to similar hardware configurations on 3DMark's website to see how they fair? How does it look in other benchmarks, such as those found in real games?