Loss of old 2.1 speakers, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by tsunami231, Apr 11, 2022.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it finally getting to me have no sound for my pc except from my headphones, which i have to switch the input on base to just have sound on pc.

I had/have altec lansing ACS48 2.1 set which to this day still sound amazing, sadly the satellites both have static in them just being plugged in to wall and turned on WITH OUT and input. and rather bad so it not really usable anymore. make in day when quality went ment something. if i could fix this issue i would still be using them.

So i been looking and new speakers. preferable with "remote" not attached to wire optic and 3.5m and bluetooth. look at some of logitech speaker cyber acoustic. and there all rather pricey with what looking for. and seem read alot about sub hum other issue with satellites.

Sound bar is doable if it only 25" or less like creative labs katana?, which look rather interesting and ticks all boxes. actual satellites liks the ACS 48 have better sound dispersal atlest compare to old samsung sound bar i had. has any one experience with the creative labs katana how is sound?

Any other recommendations? I still eye those klh pro media but they have there own issues. from what i read.

would be attached to onboard sound card, would be use for pc sound and pc gaming when game on my moniter, would be use for my TV and ps5 too. as currently i no way of setting up a true 5.1 setup with my 25 year old A/V that so dont even have hdmi do to room and place ment issues.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I was in that position a couple of years before and quite didn't payed attention to some important details.

Likewise, you can go and buy some replacements speakers, and called it a day. However, onboard sound is fine and dandy, but a quality USB DAC or a dedicated internal sound card feeding the speakers can make a meaningful and measurable experience.
    For my PC I went and bought a second hand Asus sound card, 'older" than my motherboard's integrated sound chip. Well, turns out that it blows onboard sound of out the water 10 times out of ten. Payed 20€ for it, and to this day is the best PC hardware piece I bought and it delivered and rewarded me plenty.

For speakers, even some entry level bookshelf speakers will give you richer sound and benefits. And this for the same price of regular PC speakers.
    Edifier R1280DBs are plenty for a big room and pretty decent priced. Hook those on a USB DAC or second hand Xonar sound card and Bob's your uncle.
    However, I advice you to search for more alternatives and something for your budget and requirements.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I saw the Edifier R1280DBs but there on the big side to be putting on my desk, less i mount them to side my tv and call it day and hook everything to that. if mounting was not be problem I would already have my 4 book self speakers and center speaker mounted. the Edifier R1280DBs are more in price range then creative labs katana that for sure.

as for dedicated sound card or usb dac i know there better then the realtek audio i have on board, but i not audio nut so long as sound as good as ACS48. it does not mater to me. People say my sennheiser RS-175 headphones are terrible, but i like them i at this point i use them for when need sound on my pc and use them when watching or gaming, and dont want tv sound on, and the sound good to. im sure there better options and better to be had with above options, but why go done that rabbit hole when i dont need to spend more money.

I been looking for speaker on an off for years since that ACS48 developed static 5+ years ago i just in recent years it got worse, and for past 2 years i been using sub as self next to bed and satellites in sitting in my closent

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    The most frequent cause of static noise in speakers is a loose connection.
    Identify the cause and have those speakers for longer.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i check all the wires and none of them are lose in satalites or the sub. I think amp what cause static, but i not sure and replacing that out side my comfort zone

6. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is to much, if gona go past 200$ for "pc" speakers, I might as well just new AV unit for 600$ and hook everything to that and back to tv arc along with 4 book self speakers i have and center speaker to have 5.1 but lack room and placement, short of mounting them all wall which i trying to aviod.

I took 2nd look at ACS48 and it wires there all soild in place as far as i can tell on satellites , but static is even worse then last time i power them up.

I gona keep looking

8. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I first came to Guru3d for the sound equipment reviews. Those were the days. For a computer speaker I use a twenty some year old Bose 2.1 system. The satellites fit under the monitor and the woofer/amplifier lives under my desk. One of the most satisfying computer gear purchases I have ever made.

That said, your Lansing speakers may be fine. Not all amplifiers like to have their inputs left floating. I went through hum and static problems with my Bose speakers before I got them connected in a way that they were happy. Ground loop issues are as much art as science.

If you can, try shorting the inputs of your Lansing and see what happens.

P.S. I second the recommendation for investing in a quality USB DAC, but that is a different and more expensive topic.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I actually have the Edifier R1280DB 2.0, they are honestly very good sound quality wise, but if they are too large, then they are too large, for my use they kinda just fit perfectly.

@Lavcat same here with the 20 year old speakers haha... used my parents old pc speakers that they got with their first computer, they became mine and just kept using them until one day I noticed they were making a static sound and took them apart to see what was going on with the insides and saw that something had exploded and there was a burn mark on the board lol.

Lavcat likes this.
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @Lavcat

if you talking about input going to AC sub? there his hum with out any input going to begin with if talking about shorting the input with in AC sub,that is something i wont do wont mess with anything electrical

if you talking about puting 2 inputs in to sub and see if it cancles out the static i can try that again, but when i tried that years backt it did nothing to help.

The sub did have it fuse replace twice, and i think fuses i got are not the exact fuse it ask for fuse ending in D and i got B or something like that. but the static hum was around long before first fuse went it just got worse over the years. will take another look next time i remove all stuff i have sitting on top the sub. seeing it used as shelf now

11. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I meant shorting the audio input going to the sub. From what information I can find on the web the input is a stereo phone plug.

If you short the input and still have noise, one of your cables is probably loose and not making good connection.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so input cable going from sound card to sub? that like 6 feet long and "monster cable" and one those super thick shielded one from back in the day.

I did not check cable in the sub if they all solid though, just satellites

Just took another look that sub wires there all solid though wire going to fuse is kind half on half off i can actual see 3-4 wire just not connected

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  13. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Yes, the input cable to the sub.

The poor connection to the fuse may be an issue but I don't think it is related to the static that you are hearing.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I gona give one one try with 2 inputs in with shortest cables with and with out connecting those cable to anotther device and see if it fixes the static hum, soon as find shorter cables, i pretty sure i done before and it never helped i convinced it something from the amp that feeds right speaker and then feeds that feeds the left the static hum is worse in right speaker less noticeable in the left

I been looking at
    Bestian SR04

Bestian SR06

not to big for tiny bookslelf speakers. and it covers the bluetooth optical and rca/3.5 in and remote
    would like shield cause it it is near my pc but i dont think really should matter

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Well I WAS gone buy the SR01 of those SR04 only diffrence being SR01 had 2 RCA input that could be made to accept 3.5mm. which would left my optical out on my TCL TV for my wireless headphones for when I want to use them watching tv.

Just to Super annoyed by the fact TCL TV or well mine dont support "fixed output" so one can have sound from TV and 3.5mm connection. Soon as i connect anything to that 3.5mm on my tv it disable the tv sound. so basicly if one want to use Headphones on the tv they have connect it to the 3.5mm on tv and if they want to use tv speaker you have disconnect that 3.5mm which just stupid and super inconvenient in day in age. last i check most tv had "fixed output" for audio so this wasnt an issue.

Just like my realtek driver by default disable it front out jack. the moment headphones where connect to the pc, but there was option to disable that detection, which what audio fixed output on tv is for. yet again buy tcl tv has come back to bite me in the ass

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I took apart the Altec lansing ACS 48 sub 2 issues now.

Trying to get wires unpluged from fuse resulted in fuse holder breaking so that need to be replace, and i was able to get whole board out, 2 capacitors look like the burst. so atm there not even gona turn on.

https://imgur.com/jx9C8SU
    https://imgur.com/67Fho62

I could probably replace the fuse holder but if those capacitor are bad, there isnt much point trying cause i wont mess with that seeing that require soldiering

17. brickman45

brickman45 New Member

GPU:
    Asus tuff 3060
    Kali's from EX JBL Engineers, got their 6.5 L-6 active monitors, front baffle, nearfield with a 70 dollar DAC from Fosi Audio, DAC Q4, Can't believe how clear and sweet, luscious even my setup sounds.