losing connection during online play

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Deprenor, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Deprenor

Deprenor Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1
    I have been having problems with my Motorola SB5120 Cable Modem(using cox high speed internet) staying online; this has been going on for awhile now. It loses connection after a certain period of time whenever I’m playing a game online. After a couple of minutes the cable modem then comes back online by itself.

I have tried rebooting the cable Internet modem by unplugging the power cord, waiting 10 seconds, and then plugging the power cord back in.
    However it still cuts out whenever I’m online gaming. I have not added any new hardware or changed anything.

I have checked the signal strength by going to http://192.168.100.1 in my browser. This is the information I found out about the signal strength of my modem.
    Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): 36 dB
    Power Level: -3 dBmV
    Upstream Power: 45 dBmV

These numbers seem normal to me; I don’t think the signal strength is the problem. I don’t know what could be causing this. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

*just lost connection while watching videos on youtube, so it's not just happening during online play

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009