looks like I'm about to get scammed on ebay! Please help

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by eclap, Sep 30, 2010.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, here it goes, my mate is selling a lot of fishing gear on ebay, his starting bid was £4000. Now he asked me if he could use my paypal email address to put it on ebay, as his is not working for some reason, he said he would only be accepting local pick up anyway, he only needs it to list the lot on ebay. So I said yes, ok...

Now he had some interest already, which I thought was weird, because it was like on the day he listed on ebay. They said they wanted to pay paypal, cos they live quite far away and they would have someone else come and pick it up and then drop it round theirs... So my mate negotiated the price and this morning I got an email from paypal saying I have a payment of £4550 in my paypal account from ****ing NIGERIA!!! Now because my mate is ****ing naive, he won't have a clue as of what's going on...

Now this is clearly a scam... what do I do? I will tell him not to go through with the transaction and also I'll tell him to remove my paypal details from the listing if possible, but what can I do not to get scammed?

Thank you, I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to ebay so any help will be welcome...

2. Moustacha

Moustacha Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770
    Where's the scam, they're *giving* you money?

edit: I take that back

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    here... this is one of the emails I got...

Dear Andrew Burnard,

You have received a PayPal Payment of £4,550.00 GBP from Samantha Samantha (sam_samantha100@hotmail.com).

A temporary hold has been placed on this transaction!

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which includes the buyer's shipper's pick up fees.

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest Western Union Office, and send the £550.00 GBP to the Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.

Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.

Click Here Locate Nearest Western Union Office

Transport Company "ASPED EXPRESS "
    Address: OJO O Johnson
    38 Manger Road,
    Oyo State,23402
    Nigeria

Address Status: Confirmed https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=p/pop/confirmed_address

4. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
    Few possible scenario.

They have friends in UK. Like I still have friends in UK even though I am now living in HK.
    They try to do a refund scam.

Just because the money are from NIGERIA doesn't mean it is a scam (although most of them are).

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I just really don't fancy dealing with people from Nigeria, I know it sounds racist, but I've heard some stories... How exactly does this refund scam work?

6. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
  7. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    "What can I do to not get scammed?"

I would start by not going the Western Union and transferring £550.00.

That is all.

Don't worry if a Nigerian guy ever e-mails you and says he has $30,000,000 dollars to give you either........... Just don't sent him the $2000 dollars he apparently needs to complete the transaction.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    thanks, well I know for a fact that he ain't seeing any of that £550... thanks...

9. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690

+1 this is just a classic Nigerian scam to get you to transfer monies on the pretense that you'll benfit later. The problem is there are many clueless and greedy people out there that believe that they can make a quick buck from these types of scams.

Quite simply as Kitch9 says, dont transfer any cash and tell your mate to report this to ebay.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Cheers guys, so yeah, I'll tell him not to send money and to report... How about the paypal fees? Cos if this means the listing ended due to the item being sold then I'll get charged fees is that right?

11. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    Hey man, this email from Paypal is fake in the first place(at least a big chance of it) just email paypal service, and ask them if there is some payment waiting for you...

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That's what I thought, I didn't look like an official paypal email... I'll email them when I get home, cheers mate.

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    You never have to pay to be paid from paypal like that. Do they honestly think we all fell off the turnip truck? Also, this line is a red flag:

"NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction."

Does that even sound right to you? LOL

14. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    nigeria = scam. I'd close out the paypal account or call the bank and have your card/check account number changed while you have this 4500 bucks =p

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    thing is I don't have the £4500... they said they'd complete the payment once the £550 is paid via Western Union... funny thing is that I got this email (as my mate is using my paypal account to flog this on ebay) and also he got it as well! so now they're telling us that they paid 2x £4550 lol, I emailed them back saying go swivel, I do not want to hear from again or I will contact the police and you're reported to ebay anyway.

16. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Send off some emails to Ebay and PAypal before it becomes even more "interesting".

17. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    I've seen this scam a 100 times, they overpay you on purpose then ask you to give them the balance, but then the money they sent never clears and they walk away with the £550, don't do it, this scam is all over the net

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I told my mate not to get involved and he said he won't thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated!

19. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Scam, Scam, Scammy Scam Scam!
    Run in the opposite direction!

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    With regards to the ebay/paypal fees, do not worry since when the problem is solved you can claim back your advertising fees...