Looking to Upgrade PC What do you Think?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by khohne, Nov 8, 2012.

1. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    Im looking to upgrade my pc from a Core I7 Lynfield based system with an GTX 480 as the GPU.

This is what im thinking of going to

Core I7 3770K
    Corsair H100 Cooler
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 Mobo
    G Skill Trident X 2400OC 16 GB
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    (Plus exsisting 1 TB HDD and DVD Drive)
    (using exsisting 850 Watt Zalmon PSU)
    SLI GTX 680 Asus Direct CU II OC edition (already have these bought)
    Fractal Design R4 Computer case (already have this bought)

One question i have also is? I have always had Asus Mobo's but the equivalent priced based Asus Board the P8Z77 - V Deluxe doesnt have as much features as the the Sniper 3 (PLX chip, Dedicated Audio, 4 Way SLI support, Killer 2200 and Intel NIC) The premium board has the featurtes i want but not the price im willing to pay, hence why i chose the Gigabyte. Good move or not?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Lemme answer you the questions first, then Ill post what I think of the hardware you listed.

Do you really need the board for 4 way SLI, I think not?! If you arent planing on playing at 5000+ resolutions, also Gigabyte motherboards are very very very good in price/''performance'' sense; so I would say good move.

-Processor is a good choice, but you could get away with 3570K just as well, but that is purely your decision.

-You dont need such an overkill cooler, you can save some money and get H80 or if you can find the new released H80i, these coolers are more than fine for heavy OC, and will provide the cooling you need, without a single problem. For example, altough I have older CPU my CPU is around 26 degrees celsious at idle, and around 40-45 maximum while playing games such as BF3 in MP with 64 players.

-Do you really need that much memory? 16 GB@2400...I think not, save some money go for whatever brand you want and get minimum of 8 gigs of RAM@1600 mhz, except if you arent doing some heavy video editing and or use photoshop etc...the more important things about memory is its timings(CAS) example is what most of the memory's have 9-9-9-24, I have 8-8-8-24, but money talks here, and you can find example of Mushkin's ''elite'' memory of 5-5-5-24.

-That SSD is really the best what you can buy now...so stick with it.

-SLI GTX's well, you wasted your money there(dont get me wrong) you could have bought same brand and design 670's have 4-5% less performance of dual 680's and would save around 200$, I know irony ;)

-The case...well you already bought it so whatever, altough I would rest my case with Coolermaster HAF cases, they are really well made, everything fits into them and they rock my world :)

I know some will say wtf are you talking about this is not a good option blablabla, well everyone has right to his own opinion, right?

Why I mentioned less RAM, other GPU's and different CPU is because you could have easily saved around 300$ just on that...

P.S. I've never ever in my life heard of Zalmon PSU, so I would take it its a trash, and there's why you could have save some money and buy something decent. Did a quick googling and found Zalman, the reviews are good, but there are a few negative ones, just make sure its still going strong if you have it for a longer time!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Lets see here:

Core I7 3770K - Good CPU, although can run hot when OCed too much. 3570K might be a better option if you don't encode/media stuff.
    Corsair H100 Cooler - Not a bad cooler, though the stock fans are noisy at full whack, replacement is a good idea. Also consider Noctua/similar big heatsink.
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 Mobo - again, 4-way SLI is kinda pointless, also consider ASUS.
    G Skill Trident X 2400OC 16 GB - RAM good, lots of and fast :D
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB - from what I hear a good drive, but SSDs are coming down in price, maybe extend to 256 GB?
    (Plus exsisting 1 TB HDD and DVD Drive)
    (using exsisting 850 Watt Zalmon PSU)
    SLI GTX 680 Asus Direct CU II OC edition (already have these bought)
    Fractal Design R4 Computer case (already have this bought) - NICE CASE :D

4. sixty4bitdiablo

sixty4bitdiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    i agree with what has been said. 4way sli sounds good but realistically, will you ever fully utilize its potential? I'm also a big fan of buying a smaller processor and slightly over clocking it to get better performance. saves some money that can be used to beef up elsewhere. but, all in all i like the sound of your system.