Looking to upgrade pc surround sound speaker system

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Rootdown, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    currently i have an Auzentech HTHD and logitech z-5500's. i would like to upgrade these speakers preferably with a set that doesn't require a receiver.

something like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290174

what i like about these most is the low cutoff frequency but these require a receiver. i don't really want to spend another 200 on a receiver since i see my sound card as a receiver and having my sound card hooked up to a receiver would be redundant.

if i were to get those speakers i would team them up with this receiver:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120165

i would use hdmi to hook the receiver to my sound card. i just don't know if the dacs in the receiver are better or worse than what's in my sound card.

so i guess my main question is can i find a better speaker system with a built in amp like those intended for PC's? or are there surround sound amps rather than receivers that i can team up with the speakers i posted above?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
  3. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    that's a good suggestion but it's still a receiver. i guess im looking for purely an analogue surround amp. it'd just feel like all the receiver options would be unused and a waste.

all the decoders, features and extra digital inputs would be totally not needed for me. i feel i could save money or get something better for the money if i could find a pure analogue surround amp.

thanks for the suggestion though. it never even occurred to me that receivers nowadays offered analogue surround inputs. so im headed in the right direction.