Looking to upgrade my 5870 and would like some advice

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by TorturEd, Feb 20, 2013.

1. TorturEd

TorturEd Member

GPU:
    Ati 5870
    I want to upgrade my 5870 and I'm trying to decide between a 7950 and 7970 I want a card that's going to last me for awhile and could max out Crysis 3 at 1080p my system specs are:

i7 920@2.67 GHz (never overclocked)
    9gig of ram
    Windows 8 64bit

Would a 7950 work for me or am I better off getting a 7970 ? Also I'm from Canada so I would be buying from tigerdirect.ca, newegg.ca or ncix.ca any advice would be greatly appreciated and help picking the best brand.

Thanks

2. Solid_State

Solid_State Member Guru

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    Hey, a upgrade would be nice but hows about overclocking that CPU first.

Also that 9 gigs of ram doesn't run in triple channel mode either. You can't mix that combination of ram stick without loosing big performance. That memory is running in single channel.

If you correct those two issues you will see a huge bump in gaming performance especially in CPU heavy games.

3. Solid_State

Solid_State Member Guru

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    What Revision of i7 920 do you have? you can check with CPU-z

CPU-z may be downloaded from this site.

What CPU cooler do you have?

also

many easy to follow OC guides exist and helpful Gurus on this site willing to offer quick advice.

4. Solid_State

Solid_State Member Guru

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    As far as video card upgrades go I would buy the best deal at the time of purchase. Being from Canada I always shop at memoryexpress because its locale to me and I like to pick up my deliveries from the store. They also offer a amazing Uber price match deal on whatever is sold in canada, product and shipping.

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Dude, are you kidding me? You're running on a VERY competent 5870. I'd say keep that 5870 until new series 8900s/Titan come out, otherwise it's a waste of money.

But if you have lots of money (which I don't think you do), then by all means go ahead and get a new card. But I'd suggest you wait.