Looking to upgrade hardware, seeking advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Angel, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Angel

Angel New Member

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 315 @1GB
    Hey guru's, new to the site and hoping for some advice on upgrading my desktop pc.

Specs;
    model:hpe-410t
    cpu: intel core i7 870 @2.93 GHz (standard clock)
    gpu: Nvidia Geforce 315 (1 GB Dedicated Memory)
    RAM: 6 GB

i know i want to upgrade my gpu but i am unsure if my cpu just needs some adjustment or if it needs to be overhauled and replaced. also unsure of what is compatable as far as gpu cards and am trying to learn more about computers slowly but surely. (entertaining thoughts of going for a whole new homebuild monster with new job funds coming in the next few months)

I have about a $800 budget at the moment and wondering what would be the best bang for my buck at the moment, or what would be a good first investment in my desktop until i have more funds available.

Typical games played:
    League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2 HOTS, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2.

any advice would be amazing!

thanks guys, Angel!

2. badwish

badwish Member

GPU:
    Evga nvidia Gtx 480
    Your cpu is perfectly fine. Your upgrades should be video card and a good power supply 600+ watts with good high 12v+ rails (40+) There are many options for video cards so i dont want to say spend your whole budget on one item but spending 200-300 will get you great performance for a while. The only other upgrade that would benefit you is maybe getting a ssd hard drive but you would have to reinstall windows on it.

Also if you will be putting a more powerful video card in there you may want to get a new case to allow better airflow and room for longer video cards. If you choose to stay with your current case u need to measure the distance from your pcie x16 slot to the hard drives and pay attention to video card lengths when shopping.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Here you go, $773, this rig will last you for a while. the gpu can be switched out for a gtx 760 because in some of those games nvidia performs better, saying that a 7950 will be running them at 60+ fps anyway. Oh, yeah, you'll need a new psu too...

[​IMG]

for psu, I would go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

EDIT: to play those games, your cpu is plenty, I would just get a new motherboard and gpu, psu and a cpu cooler. but if you want a complete overhaul, what I posted above is pretty much right on the money.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    eclap hit the nail on the head there, that a very good build. Just add on at least a 650W PSU and don't skimp on it either. Get a decent bran like Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, Be Quiet!, etc. Try and get at least an 80+ Gold Certified PSU, if you find those too expensive grab an 80+ Silver or Bronze. Something like a Corsair TX650W should do the trick nicely and leave you with room to overclock if you want to enter that realm of the PC world. Just one tip, reading is good, trust me, don't just read one article about PC hardware/software and take it for granted read as much as you possibly can take in.

Also out of curiosity what case do you have?

5. badwish

badwish Member

GPU:
    Evga nvidia Gtx 480
    Why would she need all of that? Yeah it may increase a little performance but her cpu is good enough as is. Her case my not allow the 7950 to fit. Faster ram would be nice but adding a sufficent video card and everything it needs would be cheaper and a great start. Otherwise your just going to be building a new system, not upgrading. And if thats the case save up for more than a minimal increase.

Just my opinion :)

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    she?

Anyway, I did say that in my post. not needed just for those games. but the budget was $800 and what I put together is around $800 with a psu.

7. badwish

badwish Member

GPU:
    Evga nvidia Gtx 480
    Ah sorry about that i had a friend angel once that was a female and just seems like a habit calling angel she!