Looking forward to my Pinephone 64

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by ManofGod, May 26, 2021.

1. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I have a Pinephone 64 with 3GB of ram and 32GB of eMMc storage and am looking forward to it. I want to have privacy and also choose what I use on the hardware I buy and own, not what Google or Apple dictates that I have. (You know, the phones you buy but you do not own.)

HandR likes this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Maybe you already know, maybe you don't.
    There is movement towards free phones, as in user freedom using the OS and the phone.

Although new technology is available, there is sometimes hard to get a smartphone and be able to use it as one see fit.
    There are levels of freedom.
    If we are talking strictly about the OS, there are a lot of projects which offer a solution to your already purchased phone.
    /e/ project, LineageOS CalyxOS or GrapheneOS...
    Volla Phone or SailfishOS.
    Each one with their pros and cons.
    If we are talking about hardware, this is where things are getting ugly. Freedom at this level is very hard to get, proprietary blobs are required to have hardware initialized and functional.

Worth mentioning the Librem Phone, but to some this project is surrounded by controversy.

Yes, there are free options, but there is a trade off, as usual.

So, if someone wants only to oversimplify and de-Google, flash your phone (has to be on the supported list) with the ROM/OS of one's choice.
    The middle ground is offered by PinePhone with the hardware switches...
    The real free hardware/software is still very hard to get, if not impossible or too expensive.
    We can't just have our cake and eat it too.

3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    arent using windows sausage.

4. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Looks interesting, but I really need my phone for my business so a Linux driven Beta stage phone is not really an option.

Certain things I don't mind "renting/leasing" lika cars, phones etc.
    And I don't mind music services ( I dont have to "own" music) or softwares like the Adobe Creative and whatnot.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    My god this phone looks awful

make sure you use the built in storage and dont run any distros from the sd card slot unless you want 2010 performance.

The idea behind the phone is good but the specs are simply dreadful. £200 for some of the worst hardware I've seen in a recent phone? When you can get much much better for not much more money and literally most phones can have their recoveries flashed and new privacy origentated operating systems installed.

I currently have a Poco X3 NFC using the latest TWRP recovery and running ArrowOS with no Gapps using FossApps instead.