Looking for some advice before trying to OC Again

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shadowflar3, Feb 25, 2013.

1. shadowflar3

shadowflar3 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780
    Processor: i7-3770k
    Mobo: Biostar TZ77B

Last time I tried this, carnage ensued. Trying to get some advice this time. The TZ77B in my rig is a UEFI bios, if you look at the OC settings, you'll notice that there are 3 settings that can be changed.

Fixed Cpu Ratio
    Enable Turbo Mode (Turbo Core Ratios of 39, 38, 37, 35, can't change them)
    Voltage offset.

Last time, I disabled turbo mode, set my CPU Ratio to 36 (default is 35), and tried to reboot. Big mistake, what started happening after the reboot was that it would load to the windows screen and right as the logon screen for windows was about to show, the computer would bluescreen. I plugged in my external CD drive to try to do a reformat and the computer would hard-lock at the POST screen on the bios. I reset my CMOS, no avail. Finally, I went and tried a friend's external CD drive, and windows would load from disk and I got a reformat off. This string of events seems so random, and before I try to OC my i7-3770k again, I wanna know, did I do something wrong? I disable turbo mode because the turbo mode ratios can't be changed from the default 39/38/37/35, am I supposed to be overclocking with the fixed CPU Ratio?

I'd love some advice pointing out what I did wrong last time and what settings I should enable/disable (such as turbo mode) before trying again?

Thanks

2. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    I know nothing about overclocking, except it significanty raises the temps of the overclocked part.

That said, You motherboard was supposed to come with-download from their site?-overclocking program.

Yes, it runs in the operating system, but it "MAY" be a safer method to play aroun with overclocking.

(BIOSTAR Toverclocker utility)
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=579#dl

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Using software is never the safer method, but in some cases it can be the more convenient method. For a beginner I'd actually recommend doing it the old fashioned way because it's not difficult to OC from the BIOS.

@ OP what is your cooler?

4. shadowflar3

shadowflar3 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780
    I have an aftermarket Zalman cooler since I heard the 3rd gen i7s run hotter than the sandy bridges. I'm just confused as to whether I should be OCing with a fixed ratio or a turbo ratio, and if turbo, how do I change it?