Looking for feedback about 680 GTX SLI drivers experience and more

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by FrenchKiss, Sep 7, 2012.

1. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1 GAMING
    Hey guys,

I've been running my 680 GTX 2Go since it's been shipped and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm thinking about moving to a surround gaming setup and therefore add a second 680 to maintain proper gaming experience.

First of all, I'd like to know if the current drivers are good enough with SLI. I mean no/low stutter, incompatibility, artifacts, crashes and so on. Did you guys have trouble somehow? I mainly play racing games such as DIRT3, Shift2 and F1 2011, but also some action-RPG like Diablo 3 (needs high spec with AO and massive AA) or Skyrim/Darsiders 2/Witcher 2.

In addition, I have "only" 2 Go of VRAM on my current card. It is going to be a problem when moving to much higher resolution? 4Go cards are pretty expensive and I would have to sell my current one :(

Finally, should I update my PSU for something with more horse power? I have my CPU overclocked (check my profile on the left). If yes, do you have any pieces of advice with ~150/200€ max (I live in France)?
    Maybe the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-silent-pro-m2-1000w-psu-review/8

Any feedback will be much appreciated!
    Regards.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    No problems here latest beta drivers are stable for me but i don't play any of those games your playing, only bf3, damage inc, shogun 2 at the moment.

3. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I use the latest beta drivers and have no issues with any games,including Skyrim,Dirt 3 etc. Your power supply should be beefed up,in my opinion. You have other stuff plugged into your PC as well,and you may get some other device later on. The CM Silent Pro will handle pretty much anything you throw at it. It never hurts to have a little extra power.

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Active Member

GPU:
    MIS / 680 / 2GB SLI
    I had a lot of problems with amd 7970 xfire but strangely enough I have zero problems with 2x680s in SLI.

In regards to stutter I would say that my minimum acceptable fps is 45 with SLI in many of the games I play verses 30 with a single card. There is some stutter associated with SLI but if it scales better than +50% performance for the second card then it will be worth it. I think it works pretty well actually.

5. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1 GAMING
    Ok thx for the answers, it sounds pretty nice!
    But I'm still worried about the VRAM.

I did some tests with my single 680 today and in skyrim, using 1080p def all maxed out high textures and AAx8 I have 1800 MB of VRAM taken. The same thing happens for Crysis 2. It looks like regular (i.e. no high def texture pack) should be ok for now with only 2Go but with packs and maybe future games it may be an issue. Considering the s**t load of money that I may gonna blow on this, I wanna keep it more than 6 months xD
    Or maybe 3 screens means make sacrifices on textures / AA...