1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for assistance with an upgrade, please and thanks.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LudaCritz, Jul 14, 2018.

1. LudaCritz

LudaCritz New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC
    I'm planning on upgrading to some newer parts. So if you have a few minutes to read through and tell me what you think, it would be much appreciated.

My current setup is as follows as well as the pieces I'll be replacing them with.

(EVGA GTX 970 SSC)...

..."I really don't see any purpose in upgrading my GPU right now mainly due to money."

(Intel I5-4460)...

..."I plan on purchasing the Ryzen 5 2600x as my upgrade, I don't really want to buy anything more expensive then that, I found one for 190$ and from what I've seen of benchmarks, it pretty much keeps up with the higher end Intel CPU's and it's a 40 something percent upgrade from my current CPU according to the UserBenchmark website as well as a random number of reviews I've watched."

..."Also I'm not much for overclocking and from what I understand this particular CPU generally works with little to no difference if overclocked or ran right out of the box."

(8GBs Memory)...

..."I've already purchased the Vengence LPX 16gb 3000MHz ram in preparation for the new build."
    ..."Among the many comments and reviews, I've noticed a lot of people saying they had difficulty with ram speeds above 3200MHz, So I went with 3000MHz since I haven't seen anyone complain about those not working."

(Gigabyte H97M-D3H Motherboard)...

..."I've found a relatively cheap motherboard. The ASUS ROG Strix X370-f Gaming. I was going to go with the cheaper Gigabyte G-AX370-Gaming but the reviews weren't all that good, any thoughts?"

(PSU is a 550 something something)...

..."Will I need a larger PSU in order to run these new parts?"

I also have a 500GB SSD and 1TB hard drive. ...Whatever that information is useful for.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What do you guys think of this setup? I don't know a lot about computers so I hope I'm getting close to the mark here.

***(((Ryzen CPU Questions)))***
    I've been trying to wrap my head around this Ryzen fiasco. I had never even heard of Ryzen until a few days ago when I happily took the leap back into the computer world to upgrade my computer.
    So apparently the motherboards are having some BIOS issues and on top of that you have to have a 1st Gen Ryzen CPU in order to flash the BIOS in order to use a 2nd gen Ryzen CPU? Please tell me this stuff has been fixed. From the comments and forum post I've found around the internet most of those comments come from 2017 but I've found a few from the early months of 2018, can anyone shed some light on this situation?

***(((Extra info)))***
    I'm not really even sure if I need to upgrade, I used to pay attention to computers and keep up to date but this computer has been working so well for the last few years that I haven't really paid any attention to the changes in computer parts.
    I'd like the computer to be able to play the new games coming out over the next couple years (Fallout 76/Cyberpunk 2077) as well as just stay in the middle ground. I can't afford the fancy stuff.
    I have no interest in online competitive shooters, so super high FPS is something I could care less about, I'm more of a 1080/60fps gamer.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I think your choices are fine and should be future proof and a nice upgrade over your current system.

Consider getting a X470 chipset mobo as you're buying now. This will also avoid the boot up / BIOS update problems.

EDIT: good quality 550 W PSU should be quite enough for that system.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  3. LudaCritz

LudaCritz New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC

Thanks man, I thought people would never respond.

4. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Memory upgrade for me.

5. LudaCritz

LudaCritz New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC
    You do understand that your comments are completely useless to the subject at hand right? You obviously didn't read the entire post or you would've not said what you said. So please, stop posting here, you're not helping.

6. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Nice CPU upgrade. I "think" to run a game such as "cyberpunk 2077" (which I am looking forward to) you will need to upgrade your video card - maybe wait until the next gen video cards are out and buy a cheap second hand GTX1080/1080Ti. You already have 16Gb of 3000mhz ram (which is very nice), and an SSD and HDD. With the resolution you are planning to run games at, even a 1070 will do. If it was me, personally, I'd seriously consider investing in a 2K monitor - ideally 27", combined with a 1080, you will get very nice FPS and visuals. Just my thoughts. I'd much rather 2440 x 1440p over 1080p. And the hardware (which you will have if you wait) to run it.

Cheers.