Looking for advice on a monitor for a new build...

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by bbsmitz, Nov 25, 2020.

1. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Hey y'all,

So I'm in the process of putting together a new build for the first time in quite a while. I'm going for a 5950x/3090 build, so it'll be pretty powerful, and I'm trying to find a monitor to pair with it. The machine will be both for work and also for gaming, primarily Microsoft flight sim, with some RTS thrown in. Due to the MSFS focus, I'm trying to get a slightly larger monitor, so was thinking in the 32-34 inch range and curved; budget would be up to maybe $650 or so, but might stretch to $750 if it really warrants it. The monitor business has really changed in the past 15+ years... and so while I've done some research, I'd love some feedback on what seem to be the more subjective criteria. So without further ado, a few questions,

1) How much do refresh rates really matter for gaming. I'm seeing all sorts of 100Hz+ monitors and just have no idea if it really matters that much or not. For reference my most recent gaming (FSX and SC2) have been done on a Lenovo Miix 510 that is connected to an old 24 inch viewsonic, so you can imagine refresh rate hasn't really been a concern for me. Are people happy gaming on a 60Hz monitor?
    2) G-sync. Does it make a big difference or not?
    3) For a 32/34 inch monitor, how big have people found the difference between 1440p and 4k when gaming? What about when working? 1440p on a 32 inch monitor is almost the same ppi as the 1080p on my current 24 inch monitor which I'm happy with, so figured it'd be a reasonable setup, at least for work, but I've also never used a 4k monitor, so maybe I just am oblivious to how much better it is.
    4) Does a curved monitor really make a difference?

I'm currently seriously considering the Dell S3220DGF which is on sale for $329 right now. Seems to be rated reasonably well by quite a few reviews (and also seems to work with G-sync, despite not being rated for it). Samsung Odyssey G7 also seems really solid, although it's almost twice the price. However, both these are 2k monitors with >150Hz refresh rates, so obviously choices change for 4k monitors, or those with slower refresh rates.

In closing, sorry for the wall of text! Any recommendations or feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

-bbsmitz

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  2. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    1. Going from 60hz to 100+ was a big difference for me. Could never go back to 60hz. I'm pretty sensitive to low fps it seems. I feel great around 75+, but 60hz is already a slight discomfort. 25fps will make me eyes bleed after 30mins.
    2. Yes. Got my 1st Gsync now and i have a very smooth experience.
    3. I find 1440p is the sweet spot atm, both for gaming and working.
    If working at 4K i'd advise to go for a 40" TV. I do that and everything on the desktop has the right size. On a 32" screen you'd need to use a bigger font for icons & stuff
    4. Yes. Gives you better immersion especially with racing/flying sims. Also shadows on the edges are darker and not grayish.
    Not sure about working on a curved tho. If you're working with paint / vectorgfx apps curved is a no go imo.

For racing/flying and rts i would go for a VA panel. For fast reaction shooters and 3rd person games go for IPS.

3. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm gonna go with the Dell; almost all of the boxes I want and the sale price is super solid. The 1000R curve on the Samsung just feels like it'd be a bit too much for me.