Looking for a strategy game

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by SentinelAeon, Jan 2, 2019.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hello, i am looking for a strategy game i can play with my 8800 GTS graphic card. I will simply list a few strategy games that i really love and finished them for many many times, so u can help me find another similar game.

- age of empires 1 (hated age of empires 2 though)
    - age of mythoology
    - supreme commander and forged alliance (supreme commander 2 was kinda ok too, lot worse than 1 though)
    - impossible creatures
    - warcraft 3 and TFT
    - starcraft 2 (all 3 parts)

Basicly i need something simple with a good campaign.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Rise of Nations is great.
    Empire Earth 1 and 2 is a lot of fun too. You can find those cheap on GOG.com

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    What about Total War games?

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 HD
    I forgot to add i really liked desperados 1 also, never liked commandos though. I might go with desperados 2 in future. Right now i am deciding between red alert 3 and starcraft 1.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    If you haven't already, Homeworld 2 or the remastered version is a must for all strategy players.

Otherwise, as above, the Total War and Civilization games get a lot of attention. Based on your listed games, I would suspect Total War is probably more likely to be something you would enjoy.

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Rise of Nations is up there for me as one of the best RTS games of all times. LOVE it.

Warcraft 2 is the best in the series for me, brilliant. And Red Alert 2 is a peach too.

Some other games I'd like to mention

• Company of Heroes
    • World in Conflict
    • Dungeon Keeper 2

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Look no further than Company of Heroes and Homeworld Remastered. World In Conflict is also amazing but sadly the online community is pretty much dead at this point.

8. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Recent title,
    Into the Breach, min GPU is listed as "intel hd3000"
    I assume 8800 GTS can do ~that..? I'm not entirely certain, but i feel like.. yes.?!

9. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    Company of Heroes is a perfect fit for that card. I still do CoH LAN parties with a few friends every couple months.

Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge is another great candidate I think.

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    RA2 Yuri's Revenge.
    I play it daily, very fast and great piece of RTS, would say RA3 too.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    Aoe3 isn't for everyone, but for 10$ while its on sale, the campaign is pretty decent.

12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I second AoE3 (especially for 10$). If you find it a bit iffy, try installing the "Improvement Mod" by Mandosrex (find it on Moddb). That makes the game so much better and it even touches up the campaigns. Starcraft 1 is free on Battle.net (without the Remaster), so I'd say you can get it and see how it works for you. It's a classic game, albeit the pathfinding is rubbish. Judging from your GPU, you could also try Command&Conquer 3 - it also has a lot of cool mods to enhance the vanilla game (try Tiberium Essence, you won't be sorry), there is also C&C Generals + Zero Hour, an absolute must have (also with many cool mods - Shockwave, Rise of the Reds, Contra, Untitled). You can also try out the Battle for Middle-Earth series - it's not being sold anywhere (copyright), but the Revora forums offer direct download of all these games (use the unofficial patches for the games, they also restore online play). If you try Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge (and you like it), give the Mental Omega mod a spin, it's awesome (difficult, but with much refined difficulty options and now a restored save/load mechanic). You could also try the standalone mod for C&C2, called Twisted Insurrection - it has a long and well done fan campaign.

13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Also there is Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. The first games are the best (get Soulstorm for all races and an active modding community - there is even a mod that lets you play the campaign from DoW1+Winter Assault expansion in Soulstorm). DoW2 is different in gameplay - closer to Company of Heroas, but without the base building. Ignore DoW3, it's worth 10$ tops (also maybe too much for your GPU), and it's pretty much dead, the devs dropped support after 8 months (it's also a weird mishmash of a classic RTS and a MOBA, and the vanilla balance is crap).

14. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 HD
    I wanted to try red alert 3, but since this will be my first play of any command and conquer series (apart from renegade), maybe it is a bit to "funny" for me, so i decided i am gonna go and give a try to C&C 3: tiberium wars. It will be easier i think to move from that to red alert 3, once i get used to interface and all. For me it is really hard to move to a new game, get used to it, that is why i play over and over the games i already completed and am used to them. I remember it was similar with age of mythology, was hard for me to get used to it, now i love it. And even more evident with supreme commander. I tried that game so many times and quit after a few minutes because i wasnt used to it. Now it is 1 of my favourite games and i finished it probably well over 10 times.

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    RA3 art style isn't for everyone, but i played it more than any RTS online(except SC2), and quite competitively, even won some tournaments.

RA3 is a great game, especially on MP end, though the servers are dead, and all what left is the SP.

RA2 is great as well, it's quick, chaotic and fun.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    OFFTOPIC, there is a difference between RTS & Turn Based Strategy hu?

Lately i prefer Turn Based Strategy games. Even any kind of Turn Based game. Love to take my time , love to do other things while gaming etc.

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well there is always the pause key for most games if you want to afk the action, :p turn based combat or not you can pause any single player game, and another reason why gamers like single player games, because they can play at their pace or not play and it only matters to them.

but that whole xcom style game has been copied over to many other games :p.

But yea i know i can leave any point in a jrpg fight and not worry because when it comes to my turn the game will stop dead and wait for me. :p. otherwise i can hit esc key and tab out or leave the game.

19. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Well thats funny, while red alert 3 was to cartoonish for me, tiberium wars was to dark for me, to depressing for this time of the year. I decided i will replay one of my all time favourites - desperados 1 and after that play desperados 2. I do plan to play some command and conquer games in future.

20. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    Company of heroes. Pretty sure i was playing it on a 6600GT/8800GT/9800GT

• RECOMMENDED:
      • Processor: 3.0 Ghz Intel Pentium IV or equivalent
      • Memory: 1 GB RAM
      • Graphics: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or better