Looking for a separate workstation/gaming computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Thebrave85, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Thebrave85

Thebrave85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 690 4GB
    I do most of my video editing/adobe/python and stuff like that on my main desktop computer and looking to either get a mobile workstation/gaming laptop or another desktop so I can do more at the same time. I am looking for suggestions but I'm leaning more towards a laptop for the mobility and also less power draw to it, is there anything to be said with that? I can at least use it without plugging it in for a couple hours I'm hoping also, but I usually leave on my desktop for long hours using python and other software, and I'd probably at least do that somewhat with my new separate rig, can I do this sort of thing with a mobile workstation/gaming laptop as well? What are your suggestions?! Thanks in advance.

2. Thebrave85

Thebrave85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 690 4GB
    I basically want a mobile workstation/gaming machine that I can use coding software/python to do work for me overnights and during the day possibly Adobe Premiere editing and stuff like that, similar to my desktop, but I'd rather not get another desktop, and I do know by leaving the laptop on overnight plugged in it will wear out the battery, but I can always get another battery at some point correct, plus having a mobile workstation to go with my main desktop has other benefits as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

3. Raserian

Raserian Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7750
    As long as you don't need to carry laptop with you frequently I would avoid buying a laptop and do desktop work on it. Have checked your profile and your desktop is quite dated. I think you would be far better off with new desktop, and do those two sets of programs on it simultaneously. Sell your old machine. Adding another computer does not help productivity, in case of laptop you would probably end up getting desktop peripherals for it anyway. I will not recommend specific model, but would ike to explain that workstation laptop is not same as gaming laptop. Gaming laptops usually have GPU and keyboard and screen as their priority, offering less battery capacity, while workstation offers more ergonomy, higher battery life and balance of CPU and GPU specs, GPU is usually slower. Decent laptop either for gaming or workstation is expensive, they often go for $1500 and more. If you want more work to be done, just get a new desktop and you will be fine.

4. Thebrave85

Thebrave85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 690 4GB
    I actually haven't updated that I currently have an i7-5820K 16GB DDR4 RTX 2080 Super 1TB NvME plus external 4TB, the CPU is a little outdated but not too bad. The problem isn't this desktop, it's I need to be able to do more at the same time and have one computer open to doing editing/gaming and stuff like that while one is doing other coding/python-type work. I need both to have a pretty beefy GPU though for the work and plus I do some gaming on the side also.

I just wanted opinions on what the other device should be, again I want to do some gaming, but more importantly the ability to do work on it which would need a semi-beefy GPU 6-8GB at least on it most likely.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    If you want a beefy laptop to add to your workflow, prepare yourself to pay some serious money.
    If you want a separate workstation to complement your work, you can:
    1 Sell your current rig and get a Threadripper platform, 16-32 cores and quad channel memory will allow all the above mentioned requirements with breaking a sweat.
    2 Get another computer and use both to do your computing.

Also you can
    One Ignore above propositions and get a mobile workstation and bleed money.
    Two Use render farms to crunch your computing tasks and start using cloud computing.

Doing more in the same time means you need a more powerful machine. Be it mobile or not.
    So again, your tasks could be accomplished faster by using a high end platform. Going mobile is a sideway upgrade, because mobile parts are nowhere as powerful as their desktop equivalents and can't be overclockled properly. Not to mention you can't swap parts and upgrade.

But in the end, it's you who decide where should your money go and buy whatever you think it's worth the investment. We are here to provide some information, insight.