Looking for a replacement keyboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 2161, Feb 11, 2009.

1. 2161

2161 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SSC
    I have a Saitek Eclipse keyboard that I am looking to replace and would like to know what everyone thinks of the 2 keyboards I am looking at.

Logitech G15
    Saitek Eclipse II

Both reviews on these keyboards were done by the same person. I like the Saitek keyboard for it's duribility testing I give it at times.......LOL Some of the screws fell out of the back, but none of the keys have ever fallen out. I'm not as hard on the keyboard anymore, but the keyboard still works prefectly. Has anyone used either or both of these??

I'm going to start my computer programming classes soon and the Saitek looks like a good keyboard for gaming and doing any homework at my computer.

Thanks

2. Rancoor

Rancoor Banned

GPU:
    y...
    hey that Saitek Eclipse is the one Iam planning to get. Do u have the blue or red one??
    is it good or bad???

3. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114004 I just got this keyboard, it is freaking awesome. Solid, quiet(er) keys, has usb, and head phone, mic jacks on it, backlit(on/of/WASD). Very happy with it so far, never spent this much on a keyboard before and it was well worth it. It also has the laptop style keys, so not sure if you will like it or not. That was the main selling feature for me, backlit and with laptop style keys.

4. 2161

2161 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SSC
    I have the Blue one. I think it's a great keyboard. The reviews I have read on it were good reviews. I picked mine up at Fry's Electronics. I have had it for a couple years and it still works great even after taking all the banging on it I do sometimes. It's very durible. The LED's could be brighter. One of keyboards I'm going to get will have to have a red LED option because I think red may be brighter then the Blue. The blue LED's are real dim now because of the dust that has gotten under the keys and is covering the LED's. I'm also looking for a keyboard that allows better programming of the keys for games and that uses a standard keyboard layout which I will need when I start my computer programming classes this summer.

I think the Saitek Eclipse is an great keyboard. I think I'm going to stick with Saitek and go with the Eclipse 2, but I want to look at the Razor Tarntula (Like the spider) I saw over at Fry's today.

5. nascasho

nascasho Master Guru

GPU:
    GV-N670OC-2GD @ 1250Mhz
    +1 for the Razer Lycosa, best keyboard I've ever purchased.

6. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i like that one John got the slim illuminated keyboard.

7. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    Uhhh, I really don't want to say this, but...

The G15's keys wear off very quickly (i.e. after less than 6 months of use) and it's LCD display is largely a useless marketing gimmick. However, it is very useful if you need to constantly monitor stats such as temperatures if you're overclocking your components by a lot. The backlight is alright, but not the best.

The Eclipse II suffers from the same problem and generally has poor durability. The paint wearing off after little use is such a well-known problem that Saitek offers replacement keys under its' warranty - identical keys with identically low quality. The backlight for the keys is uneven and concentrates light on certain areas of the board (e.g. Z, A and B keys) - that feature is a marketing gimmick and cannot be used practically.

Sorry to say this, but both are pretty bad keyboards. At least it's not the Lycosa: their keys break down and wear out even faster and Razer knows this. Replacement keys are also covered under the warranty, but expect those replacements to wear out as quickly as the originals (i.e. 3-4 months of use). If a button ceases to work, and it has been known to happen with the Lycosa, you'll have to exchange it for a new one under the warranty.

I'm currently using an old server keyboard from IBM, which gives that old-school touch typing feel. It's steel frame means it's practically indestructible and the keys somehow don't wear down - they just don't make them like they used to any more.