Looking for a new soundcard Budget £100

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Deckard, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    Hi,

Im looking for a new soundcard for my pc, I'm currently running on O/B sound XFI MB2 on my CHV formula board with a ROCCAT KAVE 5.1 headset.

Ive got a £100 Amazon gift voucher to spend and Im after some advice please.

1: it has to be compatible with my 5.1 headset.
    2: preferably pci-e
    3: mainly used for gaming and music through some creative 2.1 speakers.
    4: being able to have both the 2.1 speakers and 5.1 headset plugged in a bonus but not essential.

over to you guys any suggestions ?

Cheers

Deckard

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm. some creative 2.1 headset (I'm reading cheap, plastic) and the Kaves sound bad so even a SB Z will be overkill. but yeah, SB Z is a good starting point, I would upgrade the headphones to something sensible though.

3. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    Im torn between the Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo or the Sound Blaster ZX . they may be overkill for my 2.1 creatives, but room for growth. I really enjoy my roccats there comfortable for long gaming session. have you tried them ?

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Zx is just a Z with ACR, not worth the extra $$$ tbh. If you think Kaves are good or comfortable I suggest you try a pair of something better. Kaves are bass heavy, not good bass though. The mids are terrible. Overall bad for music and ok for gaming but you wouldn't expect more from a cheap gaming headset.
    They're so heavy and they hurt my neck after a couple of hours, from what I've seen they weight over 600g and most good stereo headphones weigh in under 300g, if not under 250g.

Oh, went off track for a bit there, but yeah, Kaves infuriate me. Anyway, only buy Phoebus is you plan to upgrade your speakers/headset. If you're not doing that, stick with something like a SB Z or Xonar DX. Also, Phoebus and Zx are completely different kettle of fish.

5. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    cheers for the tip :)

ill check them out

6. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Eclap i just love my roccat kave but i'm maybe deaf due to more then 20 years of house-beats ;).But the soundcards you advertised are certainly worth it :).