Looking for a new monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 0rpheus, Sep 5, 2010.

1. 0rpheus

0rpheus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte nV 9800GT 512MB
    Hi

First off, I don't know anything about monitors, so please excuse me if I ask something stupid.

I'm looking for a new monitor and the Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 seems to be pretty good. But one review mentioned that "a gorgeous design and excellent picture quality don't justify the inexplicably high price."

So are there any monitors with similar picture quality but a lower price? If you have a better suggestion, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Maybe a LG W2453V?
    I'm very pleased with the one I got, plus you can get them a lot cheaper then what I had to pay for mine back in time.

3. 0rpheus

0rpheus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte nV 9800GT 512MB
    Thanks for the suggestion! Judging by the reviews this monitor looks pretty good and the price is better.

One thing though- I read that LG W2453V has a backlight bleed problem, and quite a serious one. Is that true?

4. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

The LG has very minor bleed from what I've seen. They make great displays.
    Asus is also pretty good. Asus has some 2ms respone time panels. Less ghosting.
    But either brand would be great.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I didn't see anything like it while gaming, so not sure where it should be.
    Compared to my friends Samsung 120Hz connected to GTX260 SLI; my colors and details look much better and sharper.

EDIT: Just did check what backlight bleeding should look like, I don't have such issues at all. Not even minor bleeding as mentioned in post above.

The W2453V is a 2ms display as well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  6. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    What are you looking for in a monitor? If you want picture quality, a Dell U2211H or Dell U2311H will eat that TN-based XL2370 for breakfast.

But if you're looking for a gaming or general-use monitor, then you can opt for something a bit cheaper and slightly more suitable to high-motion media. The Asus VH242H is a pretty good monitor for the price.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    I'm not even sure if i could recommend Asus's monitors after trying the VG236H. That's their new 120hz 3D Ready monitor that even comes with the 3DVision glasses kit all for around $500. 3DVision worked rather well, and added some interesting bits of depth to games (looking down the crosshairs of a gun in MW2 was interesting).... but IMHO, the monitor itself was crap. poor color reproduction compared to my Gateway FHD2400... even though the Asus supposedly has a MUCH higher contrast. Actually hooked them both up side-by-side to get a good idea of the difference in color... and the Asus just looked like all the colors weren't as vibrant.... kinda washed out. The stand and everything felt completely unstable... with little effort i could wiggle the entire monitor side to side quite a distance... whereas if i try the same thing on my Gateway, my desk shakes more than the monitor.

8. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

Just so you know contrast has nothing to do with color.
    It's actually the difference between the blackest black and the whitest white.
    Color makes no difference in contrast rating.
    That said, also brighter colors are not necessarily the most accurate colors. Keep that in mind when judging displays. A lot of people will just choose the brightest most colorful monitor and this is a huge mistake.
    Look for dept of black. The blacker the better. Accurate skin color, and ghosting/motion blur.

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    yes.... i know it's the difference between the blackest black and whitest white.... but the quality of the monitor didn't even seem worth the money paid, even considering the $200 3D Vision kit that came with it. And i know brighter colors aren't necessarily the most accurate.... but i'd rather have my colors not appear washed out and bland. Comparing the two side by side with a spanned wallpaper.... my Gateway was even nicer to look at for some reason. Looking at the Asus for even a slightly long amount of time, i started to get a headache, and so did a friend of mine. Text didn't look right, either.... wasn't as sharp.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    3DVision should be tried before you buy it.
    Not everyone can enjoy it.
    I can sit and play with it max 2 hours, then my eyes start to get stressed.
    A friend of mine can't even use it a minute, everything flickers like crazy for him with the glasses on.

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i never said i had an issue with 3DVision. It worked rather well. You also have to remember that the 3D depth adjustment isn't for making stuff pop off the screen more, but more for adjusting to where the 3D effect works. Adjust it too far one way or another, and the images don't line up right. The only issue i have with 3DVision is the fact that the glasses themselves tend to hurt the side of my head where the arms come into contact... because they're not even remotely soft in any way, shape, or form. The monitor itself gave me a headache after a little while... without using 3DVision. I actually think the included 3DVision kit was the ONLY thing that monitor had going for it.

12. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    About 3D video, what about people with eye problems? I have one good eye and one bad eye. I think that watching 3D video requires two good eyes. Right now, I have a LG 19-inch LCD monitor with normal screen and native resolution of 1280 X 1024. I was thinking of getting a larger monitor with wide screen but I think that native resolution will be higher. Higher resolution will make the video card work harder.

13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    you are correct. although i don't really believe that an LCD HAS to run at it's native resolution in gaming. My 24" has a native resolution of 1920x1200.... but in Crysis, most of the time if i was playing multiplayer, i bumped the resolution down to 1680x1050, and it still looked just fine.

14. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I always buy Samsung monitors and TVs. The ASUS 3D Vision bundle does look interesting but I haven't compared the specs with the Samsung.

I'm planning to buy the Samsung 2233RZ 22" 3D (1680x1050) monitor.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010